Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

As much as I hate to say it, Terry was a massive liability last year...he's just too slow to play at a high level anymore.  Granted, we didn't have many better options.  But 3 atb has allowed azpi to move to Cb and kick terry out of the squad.  Luiz has been fantastic also, can't forget that.  

But the real beauty so far is that our two wingers are no longer asked to put in as much work defensively now.  The wing backs (Moses and Alonso) are now the workhorses giving hazard and the RW (Pedro ATM) much more freedom to roam and create.  With kante and matic both playing box to box roles as well it frees th,e up even more.  Fabregas, for all his on ball passing and creativity, was such a liability defensively that he can't get back in the team unless we are desperate for a goal in the final 15 minutes.  

Anyway, I'm impressed.  Especially after last season it's a nice change.  Next week will be a true test...on the road at city with both managers something to prove.  I'm excited to see how it plays out...the real thing that is making me happy right now is our defense.  Since switching we have given up I think 1 goal in 7 games.  Something like that.  I fully expect that number increases next week, but hopefully we score more! 

Last thing, I've always liked klopp, BvB is my bundesliga team.  I'm not sure there is a better manager in the world at energizing a team/fan base.  He has a passion for managing clubs that very few people have for anything in their life.  I'm starting to see a lot of that in conte too, which is why I'm so high on him.  I've got to see a bit more from conte though to make a final judgement, so far it's only been about a third of the season...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

..... Last thing, I've always liked klopp, BvB is my bundesliga team.  I'm not sure there is a better manager in the world at energizing a team/fan base.  He has a passion for managing clubs that very few people have for anything in their life.  I'm starting to see a lot of that in conte too, which is why I'm so high on him.  I've got to see a bit more from conte though to make a final judgement, so far it's only been about a third of the season...

Been real impressed every time I've caught Conte speaking. He comes across fantastically well and respectful, simplifying things. Love his passion on the touchline too. Don't get how that narks people. Having someone who really cares as much as a fan about the club and game at hand who demands everything from his players ..... What a terrible thing to have. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Fingers crossed for a quick and thorough recovery. Phil's form this year has been electric.

Get Sturridge and Lallana back next weekend, will help soften that blow, and LOVED what I saw from Origi yesterday.

I, too, feel this team built capable to withstand this blow, long as Phil gets back within a couple months.

Curious what this will do for the January window.

Depending on how long Phil is out, it'll hurt not having both him and mane on the pitch.  Can't trust Sturridge- as soon as he is maybe needed, he has a knock and can't go. Not sure I would do the swap with Southampton but I'd be just fine selling him in January or June. 

Yet STILL people buy the myth L'pool have a ****e defence .....

THE ANFIELD WRAP ‏@TheAnfieldWrap 5mLiverpool, England

#LFC's first choice back five of Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren and Milner have conceded just two goals all season. 

Two.

How Liverpool can lay claim to having the best defence in Europe - Liverpool Echo

CyRA2wXWQAA1pq5.jpg:large

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

5-6 Weeks out for Phil. Looked a lot worse Sat'day. Ankle ligaments. 

I quite like the idea of him having a mid-season break to be back fresh mid-January for the second half push. 

Real intriguing to see what we do here. SO many options. Just dropping Lallana back in and pushing Wijnaldum further forward into Phil's slot would be the least disruptive. Or do we drop Bobby left and go with an actual forward as the focal point? Origi was great Sat'day. Or maybe flip to the 4-4-2 diamond we've seen him use to devastating attacking effect and play Sturridge and Origi together through the Chrimbo period? How far off is Ojo? .....

Fantastic changing of the times when you're no longer worried when someone who's been playing to such a high standard is missing. 

Rest up well Phil in preparation for the second half title battle.

Hail. 

• Like 1

I don't think people today realise just what a massive game L'pool- Leeds is. Or just how big a football club Leeds United are. 

There was a big chunk of time not too long back where it was THE game of the English league season. It invariably decided leagues and cups most every season. There was a 10 year period from the '65 Cup Final between the two through Leeds getting the European Cup final they got robbed blind in, in '75 where if you wanted to win anything, you had to finish ahead of Leeds or L'pool. People knock Leeds for not winning too much but the amount of times they were runners up in league and cups is stupid through that time. This is a proper, long standing rivalry between Yorkshires and what was Lancashires, now Merseyside's since that change biggest clubs. 

I may of been too young to really appreciate when it was at it's highest the '60's, '70's under Shankly and Revie; but I sure as heck got brought up to hate dirty Leeds (and they were. Revie was Mourinho before Mourinho knew who Mourinho was. The arch pragmatist who did WHATEVER it took for the win) as a historical rival. 

Really looking forward to tomorrow. It's been too long for a majorly big game between the two. And Anfield, packed full with 54K plus, under the lights, on live TV in a major cup quarter final would just be that.

Hail. 

• Like 2

Ok. Conspicuously missing for the U-23's tonight are Trent A-A, Marko Grujić , Kev Stewart, Ovie Ejaria and Ben Woodburn. 

Don't take it that they'll defo be involved tomorrow as Klopp's had a habit of bumping different guys up to train with the first team on a regular basis but it's a good sign. Woodburn's really surprising me. Never thought we'd see him this year still so young. He might just be Michael Owen young impactful if he get's his chances this early. 

CyXj5QNXAAA5qb-.png

Non-descript 0-0 but Joe Gomez got through another 90 minutes a she builds back up. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Holy heck thats shocking. I'd not seen any news today until your post. How tragic. 

Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved. 

Puts EVERYTHING in perspective. Terrible news. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2016 at 2:59 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I don't know how I've not got onto Leipzig until this past Friday but that's an absolutely mad situation. 6 years old? Five promotions and now leading the Bundesliga? Just where the **** did such a manufactured club spring up from? Madness. 

How'd Julian Brandt play? Only asking as I've only just gotten onto him recently with L'pool's interest. Not got a clue where he'll end up but he looks another exceptionally talented, intelligent, mature young German footballer. Well impressed watching him in Russia for Leverkusen through the week in Europe for the first time. 

Looks a real competitive Bundesliga this year which ultimately should serve Bayern well in Europe if you're being tested every week and having to bring your A game. Great preparation for the Champions League knock-outs. 

Sorry took so long to get back to you.

Leipzig is a very interesting situation.  I work with a young man who grew up in Leipzig and talks quite a bit about growing up there and how they have changed the entire sporting attitude of the city.  Apparently, there is a real rift in the city where many of the younger people are happy with the team and have rallied around it while older supporters hate the 'intrusion' of Red Bull.  Here's an interesting article about the dichotomy of the team:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/08/why-rb-leipzig-has-become-the-most-hated-club-in-german-football

As for Brandt, he played very well in the first half but was subbed off near the beginning of the second half (double sub to bring on 2 attacking players).  He is composed with the ball and is a good player to watch/have on your side.

Hope the BL stays more competitive as I think it serves Bayern (and ultimately some other good teams) well.  One thing that I selfishly hope is that more young American players come to the BL.  Many coaches there are good teachers and the players that have gone there have improved for the process (you guys see it in Klopp - his answer is to make his players better, not rush out and buy a bunch of new guys).

As for the plane crash today, it is a very sad thing indeed and my prayers are with their families and survivors.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Wow... surprised Mane is starting.

I'm really not. Think his form has been off last 2-3 games, like to see him get it righted today.

20 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Both teams missing key players. I sneaky fancy us to give this a very good go. 

We definitely have the B team in the back.

• Like 1

Not bad so far. Best chance of the game my an absolute mile fell to us and should have been taken. Game is very winnable. 

Just worried about us as the legs tire. Not helpful that we've had to use the one sub already too. Guessing Doukara and Dallas will need taking off sooner rather than later. 

Nice to hear a decent atmosphere in Anfield for a change.