Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Pochettino was out managed today by Conte, and that made all the difference.  Poch ran the spurs into the ground the first 40 minutes of the match.  They looked the better team but Chelsea still had opportunities, capitalizing at the end of the half.  Conte had his players pressing strategically all game, not like chickens with their heads cut off.  He knew it couldn't last and became more attacking in the second half when spurs were tired.  

I hate spuds, it's so great to beat them.  They are the only team in the prem that I absolutely loathe...everyone else I can respect (ManU kind of), but spuds are just a dirty whiny bunch.  Player of the game for me was once again Moses, who is a man reborn as a wingback under Conte.  

As for the rest of the prem, man city wasn't really all that impressive and pool continues to play a good brand of soccer.  Glad coutinho doesn't appear to be anything too serious.  Still at the top! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

Pochettino was out managed today by Conte, and that made all the difference.  Poch ran the spurs into the ground the first 40 minutes of the match.  They looked the better team but Chelsea still had opportunities, capitalizing at the end of the half.  Conte had his players pressing strategically all game, not like chickens with their heads cut off.  He knew it couldn't last and became more attacking in the second half when spurs were tired.  

I hate spuds, it's so great to beat them.  They are the only team in the prem that I absolutely loathe...everyone else I can respect (ManU kind of), but spuds are just a dirty whiny bunch.  Player of the game for me was once again Moses, who is a man reborn as a wingback under Conte.  

As for the rest of the prem, man city wasn't really all that impressive and pool continues to play a good brand of soccer.  Glad coutinho doesn't appear to be anything too serious.  Still at the top! 

Steady...

They're without Alderweirald and Lamela.

They haven't really played all that well the last two months.

It took a world class goal from Ericksen from outside the 18 to even score.  And that was really the only threat.

Just be happy with the 3 points.

Also, Moses has always been a winger and how much for Willian?

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

You gotta give a lot of credit to Conte.  The quality of football from early season to now is night and day.

Having Kante and Matic at the pivot really allows those wingers to get forward.  Should never be losing the midfield bar a special effort.

25 minutes ago, DC9 said:

They're without Alderweirald and Lamela.

Just be happy with the 3 points.

Also, Moses has always been a winger and how much for Willian?

Aldy....yes he makes a difference.  Lamela doesn't strike fear in me, honestly.  

Moses is playing as a wingback with added defensive responsibilities.  The things that make him good are his work rate and pace, but conte has really got him playing tidy, disciplined soccer.  And Willian's mother died a few weeks back right when Chelsea switched to the new formation.  So my guess is Pedro took his place due to  Willian put on bereavement, and has been in such good form he isn't giving it up.  I'm sure he original plan was to start Willian but just overall bad timing.  

15 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Aldy....yes he makes a difference.  Lamela doesn't strike fear in me, honestly.  

Moses is playing as a wingback with added defensive responsibilities.  The things that make him good are his work rate and pace, but conte has really got him playing tidy, disciplined soccer.  And Willian's mother died a few weeks back right when Chelsea switched to the new formation.  So my guess is Pedro took his place due to  Willian put on bereavement, and has been in such good form he isn't giving it up.  I'm sure he original plan was to start Willian but just overall bad timing.  

Lamela is an expert diver.  He's also a creative player.  Lallana doesn't scare many folks either but few in the game are better than him at finding those one two combos in little to no space.  You can certainly see the difference when we have him and when we don't. 

I'm not saying Conte hasn't done anything, but I think you're taking it a step too far that he made some awesome changes when really it was Spurs running out of gas from high pressing and playing mid-week.  Like I said, it took Ericksen hitting it perfectly from 20 yards out to even get their only legitimate chance on goal.

What was impressive was watching Chelsea carving up the back four, which is very good.

Edited by DC9

19 hours ago, DC9 said:

You can never have too many back there.

I've always liked van Dijk

Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Klavan ..... You couldn't justify adding van Dijk to that group. Too much money and he's the quality that demands to start. But you're not breaking up Matip and Lovren. Add another young centre half the mix by all means but another top one is far from needed. 

But enough about that ....

What an absolutely fantastic day. Sorry, let me rephrase What ANOTHER absolutely fantastic day with these title hungry Reds. 

Where to start .....

..... With the man who's made this all happen. Jürgen Norbert Klopp. The current incumbent in the LFC hot seat who's like a reincarnation of the erstwhile Scottish great who redefined this great club and set us on the road to our current position as the most successful club in this Country's rich football history. 

People on these here boards mocked when I compared him to Shankly from the get go after that awesome, introductory presser last October. Those laughs have become quieter and quieter as the past 11 months have rolled. And today, just like the great man, we saw in glorious technicolour the absolute power and sway the German holds over his adoring public. I've been going the match since 1981. Through that time, L'pool have had 10 permy managers and one temporary one. From the greatest of them all, Bob Paisley, through the greatest player to ever wear Red, Kenny Dalglish; to the absolute bottom dwelling dross of Hodgson. And NOBODY through those 11 men have had such a magnetism, such a power, over the fanbase as Kloppo holds. For 65 minutes or so of that game today, we were quite frankly ****e as fans. Down in large part to the very real emotions and utter, nerve wringing edginess of a very real title challenge that's in full flow in November. Down also to a not greatly exciting first hour in Baltic conditions. But ****e nonetheless. It was quiet and edgy in the stands. And it wasn't helping the players who were going about their business in a very patient, professional manner without getting the breaks. Step forward the manager, in his manic, and downright scary gesticulating to anyone and everyone as he fair bollocked the whole ground and roused everyone. NO Liverpool manager in my lifetime has been able to galvanise the entire crowd like he can and did today. Turning a nervy, edgy ****show of a supporter experience into a rousing, bouncing last 25 minutes that saw the boys home to an absolutely vital, and you feel pivotal, 3 points. 

Which brings us onto Divock's sublime opener 10 minutes into that resurgence. That goal was MASSIVE. And lead to the maddest celebration of the season thus far. We'd toiled away with shots hitting defenders and the 'keeper (who was excellent BTW. REALLY like Pickford), crosses flashing across the face, balls just not dropping. It was feeling like it was never going to happen. Then Origi casually cut back and passed it into the corner and the place went ballistic. I hate to use 'them' as an example. but it was what Utd have done time after time after time in similar games throughout the PL era. It was what the great L'pool sides I grew up watching did time after time after time in winning titles when it's not all about sparkling football every single game. But being patient, keeping that self belief in what you're doing is right, and then someone stepping up with the vital dagger to the oppo's heart just as they think they've earned their share of the spoils. Biggest goal of the year thus far. BY far. 

Which leads back to us as fans. It's been a LONG time since we've been as deadly serious as this. Not 'hoping to be there in the end.' Not 'seeing where where we're at after Chrimbo.' But being a genuine, serious contender from the start of the season not just daring to dream in November, but confidently believing. And we've forgotten just what it takes to win this thing. But these Reds haven't. These Reds kept their cool today and just patiently carried on playing their football. Knowing the chances would eventually come against a Sunderland side that was basically a 7-3-0/ 8-2-0 formation. So deep where they for almost the whole game intent to just hit on the break. (Which they did well to their credit and Karius again had his chance to shine. Another top game from him.). Teams are going to do this at Anfield. You come out and play, we'll rip you to shreds 5 or 6. Even Utd came in fear of a real hiding and sat with 11 deep. So we need to learn to be as patient as the players. Safe in the knowledge that they'll find a way. As they have most every game this year. And as they will right the way through until May. Klopp shouldn't have to intervene. We should be showing that patience and support ourselves. If you can't get behind these special Reds, why even go the match?

Special shout out to Can and Wijnaldum as well who I thought totally dominated the middle as Jordan had a quieter day for him this season. But the real pleasing thing, as they repeatedly keep showing, is this team FULLY believes in themselves and no longer panic. They'll just patiently keep plodding away knowing that they'll find a way eventually. 

The only downside was Phil going down. That looked real bad. But hey, if he's out a while, we get to have a 'proper' forward leading the line through the Chrimbo grind which isn't a bad thing. Be it Daniel or Divock who was superb from the moment he came on the park today. 

Brilliant day that I couldn't be happier with. These Reds are something else and the best collective group we've had the PL era. They'll be right up there on the final day in May. Whether they win it or not remains to be seen. But it'll take one HELL of a good side to finish above them because these lads are deadly serious. And it's fiucking brilliant to be privileged enough to be along for the ride. 

Oh yeah, before I forget, Anthony Taylor is still and absolute ****house and the worst referee we have. 

14 games unbeaten and counting! 

Up the patient, deadly, SERIOUSLY in this race Reds!

Hail. 

*Edit* I forgot Ben Woodburn getting to experience this ride for the first time too. At 17 years and 42 days of age. The third youngest L'pool debutant ever. In front of 53K plus in the PL. Welcome to the party young man. Enjoy the moment. They'll be MANY more! 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

Congratulations. Don't really have a clue how you played or how the game went (it was on when I got back down town but the City was too busy bouncing from our own pivotal victory); but that's a massive victory regardless. 

This is fast becoming a three horse race. 

I hope you're up for a fight because we're in this to win it until the bitter end!

Hail. 

• Like 2

Some great BL matches over the weekend.

RB Leipzig still in first and playing well.  Bayern need to keep the concentration every week to stay with them.

Nice win by Bayern over Bayer.  Not the best effort, but off 2 straight defeats, I'll take it.

Dortmund beaten by a very surprising Frankfurt.  Frankfurt play a 3 - 5 -2 overall, with Timmy Chandler on the right wing. He was a constant threat all game (wonder why he can't do that with the US - but  that is for a different thread).  Very back and forth game.

Saw most of Pool game today.  Very good performance.  I do need to ask an honest (not loaded) question for those who watch more EPL than I do:  Is Sunderland attack really that bad that they are led by J Defoe?  He of the Toronto FC infamy?  They looked absolutely horrible vs Pool.  Is that more to do with Pool?

Should be a tight race among Pool, Chelski, and Citeh.  Pool and Chelski have benefit of no Europe, so that may see them do better, though I think Citeh lose in first round of knock-outs in CL, so that would even things up.  Rest are battling for that 4th place trophy, errr place.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, btfoom said:

Some great BL matches over the weekend.

RB Leipzig still in first and playing well.  Bayern need to keep the concentration every week to stay with them.

Nice win by Bayern over Bayer.  Not the best effort, but off 2 straight defeats, I'll take it.

I don't know how I've not got onto Leipzig until this past Friday but that's an absolutely mad situation. 6 years old? Five promotions and now leading the Bundesliga? Just where the **** did such a manufactured club spring up from? Madness. 

How'd Julian Brandt play? Only asking as I've only just gotten onto him recently with L'pool's interest. Not got a clue where he'll end up but he looks another exceptionally talented, intelligent, mature young German footballer. Well impressed watching him in Russia for Leverkusen through the week in Europe for the first time. 

Looks a real competitive Bundesliga this year which ultimately should serve Bayern well in Europe if you're being tested every week and having to bring your A game. Great preparation for the Champions League knock-outs. 

6 hours ago, btfoom said:

..... Saw most of Pool game today.  Very good performance.  I do need to ask an honest (not loaded) question for those who watch more EPL than I do:  Is Sunderland attack really that bad that they are led by J Defoe?  He of the Toronto FC infamy?  They looked absolutely horrible vs Pool.  Is that more to do with Pool?

Should be a tight race among Pool, Chelski, and Citeh.  Pool and Chelski have benefit of no Europe, so that may see them do better, though I think Citeh lose in first round of knock-outs in CL, so that would even things up.  Rest are battling for that 4th place trophy, errr place.

AKA 'The Arsenal Trophy.' :P.

For Sunderland look no further than their manager. Moyes has only ever known one way of playing. Yesterday he went even further. They basically had 7/8 in defence at all times. This is a man for Petes sake that said, TWO games into the job, that Sunderlands realistic ambition was to finish 4th bottom this year. You might think that. It might even be true. But you don't SAY it publicly. Way to leave your fans with no hope for the entire season. The mans a clueless oath. And that man was hand picked by Ferguson to follow him at Utd. Which beggars all known sense in the entire Universe. It's testament to just how good a striker Defoe is that he manages to still do what he's doing for Sunderland and score goals. Because he's feeding off VERY meagre pickings. 

Chelsea go to City next Sat'day so someone, if not both., will be dropping points there. L'pool down at Bournemouth Sunday so a big chance to extend things slightly. Still not convinced a formation change is whats changed Chelsea to such a degree and that when its figured out they won't have the same issues. But one things for damn sure. Right here, right now, they're in this race and full credit to Conte for that. After the way this horrid version of Mourinho decimated them, he's revitalised the whole club and then some.

I never even had them making Europe so there you go. Got that one spectacularly wrong to date. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 3

Philippe Coutinho injury update - fears Liverpool midfielder has suffered ankle ligament damage - Liverpool Echo

That would be a terrible blow for Phil. He was playing to such a high level this year too. 

Thankfully this isn't '08/'09 when our pitiful depth consisted of the likes of Voronin, El Zahr and N'Gog. Or '13/'14 when we had utter ****e in reserve like Moses and Aspas (Back then. Not on current form), Borini and Luis Alberto. 

MUCH stronger quality in depth and this team is the furthest thing from those teams built around 1/2 players who you were screwed if you lost. I don't know who the key player is in the current side so it must make it even harder for opposition managers to key in on. 

Wonder if we'll tweak and go with the diamond and 2 up top which has been so devastating when he's switched to that? Or just jiggle around personnel in the same framework of what we've done to this point? 

Sorry for Phil if the scan reveals the worst fears but next man up! We have a title to win!

Hail. 

Fingers crossed for a quick and thorough recovery. Phil's form this year has been electric.

Get Sturridge and Lallana back next weekend, will help soften that blow, and LOVED what I saw from Origi yesterday.

I, too, feel this team built capable to withstand this blow, long as Phil gets back within a couple months.

Curious what this will do for the January window.

• Like 1