Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Ok reds, the January Transfer Window .....

Of the many injuries we've suffered through this year, three names in particular I think it's worth considering as to what I believe Klopp may also be thinking when it comes to potential January additions. Joe Gomez, Danny Ings and Daniel Sturridge. 

Those three in would doubtless of played a massive part in things this year had they not been injured. Daniel goes without saying. Ings looks the perfect Klopp player. Fantastic workrate and end product. And Gomez had a whirlwind start to his young top flight career before the season was cruelly taken from him. I expect him to be in the centre back rotation next year, but if not there he'd surely of gotten game time at either FB slot this year where we've basically had to run with 2 guys consistently. Add the developing Can (who still has a LONG way to go for me despite flashing his undoubted potential but that's for another discussion), Ibe, Origi and (hopefully, if he ever fully recovers to play at this level again) Flanagan; along with maybe the returning Markovic and Wisdom next year and one or two others like Rossiter; and you've got a good young crop he'll doubtless relish trying to develop. And you can throw the new Serb Grujic in that group as he'll be just 20 with a mere one season of Serbian top flight football under his belt when he arrives.

What we don't want to be doing (and I don't believe we will. Gut feeling), is signing say an experienced guy who's better than what we currently have to see us through this year, but not the ideal first XI player going forward; who will doubtless be on a 2/3 year deal at good money. And as such will be another potential block in the development on one of those youngsters mentioned above from next summer. We definitely need to be balancing up the 'here and now' with the overall bigger picture of the long term build.

As regards January targets, I don't know about specific names, but we most certainly need as a priority for me 'keeper, centre back and a mobile, better quality defensive midfielder who knows the position and is a step up from Lucas. With FB depth next on the agenda. If we had a reliable man between the sticks and a commanding centre back, along with a quality DM in front (Bender from Leverkusen maybe? Lucas I'd keep as a squad player. But he's not someone you want there every game. Not lest at home when we need to come out a lot more. Was this Mascherano still you'd have no fear. But Lucas .....); that would go a LONG way to giving us the stability back there to build on and let the attacking side get back it's confidence and flourish as they've flashed the ability to in spells. 

I'm confident we won't be signing players just for the sake of it to fill out the squad though like we boneheadedly have right back to Rafa. They will have to be better than what we have, fit what he wants and requires from them; and not get in the way of long term development if they aren't going to be starters. 

Here's a question ..... Benteke. Do we persevere? Or do we start planning for his departure next summer right now and (just throwing out a name for the sake of this) go big for someone of quality you may well get in January with no Europe at a struggling club like Lacazette? With Daniel's health issues, another top bracket striker into the mix along with Ings and Origi might not be a bad move. But is it too soon to write off Benteke? Yes, we overpaid for him. And yes, he's woefully under performed. But he's still our second biggest transfer ever so do we have to try make this one work?

Hail. 

Hate to say it, but an excellent start to the day with the rent boys routing Palace. 

Hate to say it more, but here's hoping the bitter's help out further by beating 'Spurs. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Finished 1-1. Take that. Keeps it at a very manageable 2 game gap. (Well, 3 taking GD into account.). With Tottenham to play at home still. 

Just need to sort our own **** out now before Arsenal a week Wednesday haha. Which is easier said than done as I can't see where our next goal is currently coming from. Let alone win. 

But in Klopp we trust!

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

And so the silly season is up and running in anger .....

John Stones to United please. NOBODY of any note is leaving Everton Football Club this January no matter  how much is offered. 

They seriously believe they can win a trophy and get European football this year. And with both the new TV deal, and the distinct possibility of the takeover, Kenwright's in absolutely NO rush to sell next summer. It'll take astronomical sums to bag one of their heavyweights Barkley, Lukaku  or Stones the summer. REAL astronomical sums. 

Everton are really trying to build something and become a player again. And everything is falling at just the right time for them to kick on. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Much to MisterP's surprise I'm sure, I kind of like the idea of a lot stronger Everton. It's always a good situation when both clubs push each other and to have the Derby as a game of National significance again and not just one of local pride would be brilliant. 

It's been TOO long. 

• Like 1

And so the silly season is up and running in anger .....

John Stones to United please. NOBODY of any note is leaving Everton Football Club this January no matter  how much is offered. 

They seriously believe they can win a trophy and get European football this year. And with both the new TV deal, and the distinct possibility of the takeover, Kenwright's in absolutely NO rush to sell next summer. It'll take astronomical sums to bag one of their heavyweights Barkley, Lukaku  or Stones the summer. REAL astronomical sums. 

Everton are really trying to build something and become a player again. And everything is falling at just the right time for them to kick on. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Much to MisterP's surprise I'm sure, I kind of like the idea of a lot stronger Everton. It's always a good situation when both clubs push each other and to have the Derby as a game of National significance again and not just one of local pride would be brilliant. 

It's been TOO long. 

When you are right, you are right.

I don't see any reason Everton would sell their top players mid-season.  With what you list (big money next year), I don't know why really any team would sell.  Staying up, and even getting higher in the table, is literally worth millions.

Also agree that a good Everton helps Pool to get just that much better and put the Derby back to prominence.

So judging on his tone again yesterday he's still HIGHLY pissed with the job lot of them.And rightly so. 'Bad' Klopp (pun intended) is needed. 

Unfortunately, down to the injuries, we have no option to change it. Maybe Milners back tonight. (Not the he offers much attack wise but his work ethic has been sorely missed.). That aside, there's only Lallana or young Smith for his crossing you could bring in. The 12/ 13 that have stated the last month is basically all we've had. The two Brazilians are so out of form it's not even funny. Firmino is just so low on confidence and Phil is, of late, a complete one trick pony. So easy to defend when you know he's going onto his right to try the Hollywood 25/30 yarder most every freaking time he has the ball. He needs someone to grab him and say 'you waste possession like that again, I'm gonna' **** yer!' We know he's got the ability to go at players and pick out the pass. DO THAT! But then Benteke needs to move his lazy ass to give him an option to pass to. And why is nobody no longer supporting Benteke and getting past him the box? It's not by design as Klopps still screaming and motioning them to do that. You could go on but we can't change anything right now down to having no options outside of the players attitude. 

And if they don't have 100% commitment tonight we're looking at chasing the game the second leg. The only positive is this is Hughes Stoke who play football and not that knob Pulis' who didn't. So that should work in our favour but I'm not going down there with much confidence at all given we can't score for ****. 

I'll take a draw or a 1 goal defeat at worst. At least at that, with a rocking Anfield (you'd hope) second leg it's a game. 

Anything worse and we'd be out.

Hail. 

Never actually seen us lose at Stoke the cup so there is that. 2 wins the Britania. A win and a draw the Victoria. The first of which, third round FA Cup with Kenny's great '88 side, is one of my best 'getting into a ground for free' games. 4 of us. 2 unemployed. Myself still in upper school. No ticket between us. And barely enough to get a cup of tea never mind anything else. Bunked the train down. Telly page of the Mirror listed Tony Gubba doing the Match of the Day highlights. This is late morning and an idea forms .... One old fella' the main entrance. So 4 scruffy scals walk up and say 'Alright mate. BBC. Tony Gubba's crew' ..... And he checks his list, looks at us, then unbelievably straight ushers us through. Straight down the tunnel, round the pitch, over the fence into our end. Ding dang do.

Bold faced Scouse nerve at its finest. You could pull **** like that back then.

Happy days.

Hail.

Well that was FAR better than I dared hope. 

Great response to the recent unacceptable tripe with a fantastic performance at a very hard place to go win. Work rate back in abundance. And fantastic movement and interplay which should of lead to far more than the one at the break. Coutinho looking far better when he's actually playing smart football and not just predictably blind shooting. Firmino regaining confidence from somewhere. Allen absolutely immense. (Theres something that's probably never EVER been said.). Great goal from Ibe with a sick assist from the aforementioned Welsh Xavi. (Let him have that tag after tonight's display.). Still can't finish for **** like and Mingolet still giving you fits at times but a VASTLY improved display and a fantastic result which looks even better with all the adversity that had to be overcome. THREE more hammys? Are you ****ing ****ting me?!!!! How freaking unlucky are we? Hopefully Phil's isn't too bad as he went the bench but we HAVE to buy a centre half now before next Wednesday. Exeter we can get through but we've literally nottin' left for Arsenal. 

Set's up a great second leg.

Real pride night with a boss away atmosphere. Half way there boys. Half way there. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

wow. i think i might almost prefer our injuries over our starters:

mignolet (not injured, but we need a keeper and he sometimes plays as if he is mentally injured)

gomez, sakho, lovren, flannagan/skrtel

rossiter henderson

ings coutino origi

sturridge

seriously... time for klopp to hire a smokin' yoga instructor to lead mandatory daily yoga sessions focusing on hammys and lower back.

a nice win, and glad to hear the work rate was much improved. not surprising to hear it happened with beneteke on the bench...

• Like 2

Hoping City batter Everton tonight and the second leg on two counts. 

If we are indeed to get to another League Cup final, City is a far more appetising opposition. Much rather lose to them if it came down to it than the bitters. And the day has a lot less propensity for aggro like a final Derby does. 

And if we did f-up at home against Stoke, at least we'd still have Everton the league the day of the final and not have it moved to a Wednesday night. 

Come on City! (Slightly lesser of two Evils.).

Hail. 

• Like 1

Hoping City batter Everton tonight and the second leg on two counts. 

If we are indeed to get to another League Cup final, City is a far more appetising opposition. Much rather lose to them if it came down to it than the bitters. And the day has a lot less propensity for aggro like a final Derby does. 

And if we did f-up at home against Stoke, at least we'd still have Everton the league the day of the final and not have it moved to a Wednesday night. 

Come on City! (Slightly lesser of two Evils.).

Hail. 

Was just coming here to ask that question.

City all over them, and Everton score on a rebound in injury time.  Crazy game.

,,, and hey, when did Brad Guzan start playing for City??? :P

Edited by btfoom

Wait! Sam Allardyce is now blaming injuries on Klopps tactics? 

The very same Sam Allardyce who's only ever kept teams from relegation now preaching to a 2 time Bundesliga winner and European Cup finalist on how to manage ...... Yeahhhh, we're gonna' take advice from a useless fat **** like you! *Rolls eyes.

I don't tweet. So I don't know. But apparently there's a lot of tweeting (if that's the right term) tonight that we're close to a loan deal for Nevan Subotic.

Which would be a massive boost if true.

Hail.