Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I think Rovers have a squad worthy of promotion if they could get it together, but I won't be surprised at all if we lose.  At this stage Bowyer's got to go full strength barring any injuries.  Eastwood is our cup keeper, and has played well, so won't be shocked if he plays again.  Every other starter should be going.

To go off at a tangent can anyone remember when this concept of playing your reserve 'keeper in the cups started? I can see the logic to a point if your a real top team playing a lower league side and you want to give your reserve keeper some first team match time to help his sharpness or, better still, to blood a young keeper. But for Championship sides to have a 'cup keeper' is a nonsense to me.

If your a reserve keeper and you want first team action work harder in training and win the number 1 spot by right. I like for example that Man U played DeGea last night against Preston and resisted the temptation to give Valdes a game.

• Like 1

If your a reserve keeper and you want first team action work harder in training and win the number 1 spot by right. I like for example that Man U played DeGea last night against Preston and resisted the temptation to give Valdes a game.

Can't remember who Arsenal trotted out in the 6th round last year, but he had the game of his life against our A squad.  We should've had at least 3 goals in that tie.

And De Gea is so hot right now you have to play him until he stumbles.  He's the reason United are "in form" at the moment.  He's been making world class saves and bailing out the United defense since November.  Balotelli should've had two goals against him in our match at OT and every game I've watched he has shown his class.  He's been better than Cortious over the last couple of months, for me.

Am I right in saying if Man Utd were to finish 4th and Liverpool were to win the Europa League, Man Utd would not qualify for the Champions League?

What a great outcome that'd be..

I still think we finish 4th, but I'm obviously with GHH, with the form we are in and the depth of form we are in at the midfield, we need to play to win in Europa.  Especially with Besiktas suffering from an injury or two.  They're ripe for the picking.

Go hard, BR.

• Like 1

And De Gea is so hot right now you have to play him until he stumbles.  He's the reason United are "in form" at the moment.  He's been making world class saves and bailing out the United defense since November.  Balotelli should've had two goals against him in our match at OT and every game I've watched he has shown his class.  He's been better than Cortious over the last couple of months, for me.

Not quite in the same class as Cortoius for my money. Not far behind but he does not command his box and dominate on crosses and corners the way Cortoius does. 

DeGea will be very disspointed with the goal he conceeded at Preston.

Am I right in saying if Man Utd were to finish 4th and Liverpool were to win the Europa League, Man Utd would not qualify for the Champions League?

You most certainly are. 

Europa League winners get a Champions League slot and there can be no more than 4 teams from one Country in the tournament so 4th place would lose out. 

But then if Utd. finish 4th, whomever from Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and co should be ashamed as this is a real poor Utd. team. 

Arrigo Sacchi is NOT a racist. Discuss.

Frank Rijkaard. Ruud Gullit 

End of discussion. 

BTW, what brought this about?

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I thought they changed that rule after Tottenham got booted after Chelsea won the Champion's League...

Not quite in the same class as Cortoius for my money. Not far behind but he does not command his box and dominate on crosses and corners the way Cortoius does. 

Agreed but it's still a terribly ****ty thing Mourinho did to Cech. 

Should of let him go abroad. He's FAR too good a top class 'keeper to be sat kicking his heels on the bench all year and after all the loyalty and performances he's given that football club, he deserved FAR better. 

Hail. 

I'll be WHOLLY pissed if he treats the Europa like last he did his first season. 

This club is ALL about European football, looking up at on;y 2 clubs, Milan and Madrid, in UEFA competition. And the form we're in (looking real solid <1 defeat in 17> if patchy in the football played), this is a competition we should be looking at winning. 

Missing my first European trip of the season a week Thursday (seen the boys in Istanbul 3 times, once against Besiktas and I've been the Ataturk for the greatest football match ever back in '05 so can't really justify the expense and holidays again); but I'd better darn well have a trip still to go after this round!

Respect the competition, club and supporters Rodgers. As our kid says, 'We are Liverpool!'

Talking Europe, good luck PSG tonight against the rent boy ****s. 

Hail.

Are they playing home and away at this point? I don't mind mixing in some of the kids for a game on the road as long as they come back to Anfield. With injuries, form, age and Markovic's ridiculous, I wouldn't mind seeing Ibe getting a run. I would love to see (assuming he is keeping a back 3)

Mignolet

Lovern Skrtle Sakho

Ibe Can Hendo Moreno

Sterling

Balotelli Sturridge

You most certainly are. 

Europa League winners get a Champions League slot and there can be no more than 4 teams from one Country in the tournament so 4th place would lose out. 

Frank Rijkaard. Ruud Gullit 

End of discussion. 

BTW, what brought this about?

Hail. 

He made some comments about the number of black players in the Italian youth system. It's caught some traction in the media. 

Are they playing home and away at this point? I don't mind mixing in some of the kids for a game on the road as long as they come back to Anfield. With injuries, form, age and Markovic's ridiculous, I wouldn't mind seeing Ibe getting a run. I would love to see (assuming he is keeping a back 3)

Mignolet

Lovern Skrtle Sakho

Ibe Can Hendo Moreno

Sterling

Balotelli Sturridge

Yup. Straight two legged knockout footie from here on out. 

I like your XI WAY better than the one I'm anticipating. (Although I'd probably look at Kolo for Lovren and maybe Coutinho for Raheem,), 

Hail. 

He made some comments about the number of black players in the Italian youth system. It's caught some traction in the media. 

Thank you. Just done some looking up. 

Certainly doesn't reflect good on Sacchi as it's an actual quote, but I think I'd bracket it more as very ill advised. I think the point he was trying to make was bemoaning the lack of natural Italian youth as opposed to the foreign players in the youth tournament he was watching. 

He just very disappointingly and boneheadedly chose a very poor way of putting that view over. 

I don't consider him a racist per se, but he certainly deserves the rebuke he's getting. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I like your XI WAY better than the one I'm anticipating. (Although I'd probably look at Kolo for Lovren and maybe Coutinho for Raheem,),

Hail.

They need to rest Coutinho!! Raheem is coming off an injury and should get some run to shake off some rust. I thought Lovern played well when he came off the bench. I would rather give him a chance to reclaim his spot.

**edit**

Maybe split the time between Sterling and Lallana

Edited by jobaga

Thank you. Just done some looking up. 

Certainly doesn't reflect good on Sacchi as it's an actual quote, but I think I'd bracket it more as very ill advised. I think the point he was trying to make was bemoaning the lack of natural Italian youth as opposed to the foreign players in the youth tournament he was watching. 

He just very disappointingly and boneheadedly chose a very poor way of putting that view over. 

I don't consider him a racist per se, but he certainly deserves the rebuke he's getting. 

Hail. 

That's how I see it. I don't buy that he's a racist, just a stupid thing to say. 

• Like 1

He's not in the same class at all, but he's been in better form.

Cortoius is the best in the world.

De Gea was unlucky with that deflection the goal took at Preston.  Probably should've been down by then though.

Hail. 

Ibe has to be in for me, he's cup tied to Derby in the FA Cup anyway - so no saving him for that competition.  Let him play.

I like the 11, too, jo.  Would love to see Kolo in, too.  How long is BR giving him off to recover from AFCON?

• Like 1

They need to rest Coutinho!! Raheem is coming off an injury and should get some run to shake off some rust. I thought Lovern played well when he came off the bench. I would rather give him a chance to reclaim his spot.

**edit**

Maybe split the time between Sterling and Lallana

Lallana has played MUCH better the last two matches.  He was deep in my **** list for his January.

Would love for Lovren to pan out, maybe two bad moves from him when playing off the bench, neither were life threatening (so to speak).

He's not in the same class at all, but he's been in better form.

De Gea was unlucky with that deflection the goal took at Preston.  Probably should've been down by then though.

Ibe has to be in for me, he's cup tied to Derby in the FA Cup anyway - so no saving him for that competition.  Let him play.

I like the 11, too, jo.  Would love to see Kolo in, too.  How long is BR giving him off to recover from AFCON?

Cortouis is a world class keeper, but the best in the world distinction would have to go to Neuer for me.  Also, Lloris may be the best keeper in the EPL, slightly above Cortouis & De Gea.  I would take either keeper at Arsenal in a heart beat, hell I'm hoping we can get Ochoa this summer to replace Szczesny when he leaves.

Edited by bushwack
  • Like 2

REALLY hoping Madrid are serious about De Gea. 

He'd be a MASSIVE loss for Utd. Like DC say's, he, along with the other top clubs poor form, is the main reason they've lasted in the top 4 this long. 

Hail. 

Saw they are interested in De Gea and Santi. 

Cortouis is a world class keeper, but the best in the world distinction would have to go to Neuer for me.  I would take either keeper at Arsenal in a heart beat, hell I'm hoping we can get Ochoa this summer to replace Szczesny when he leaves.

No idea what's happened with Memo.  I thought we had signed him twice in the last two windows.  He must have pissed someone off.

There's a guy in Germany that would strongly (and correctly) disagree

Cortouis is a world class keeper, but the best in the world distinction would have to go to Neuer for me. Also, Lloris may be the best keeper in the EPL, slightly above Cortouis & De Gea. I would take either keeper at Arsenal in a heart beat, hell I'm hoping we can get Ochoa this summer to replace Szczesny when he leaves.

I agree. Either way, there are a lot of great keepers in the EPL. Don't forget about Forrester and Hart. GOD, even Mignolet is playing better...

I like lists:

1. Lloris

2. Cortouis

3. De Ghea

(huge gap)

4. Hart

5. Forrester

Lallana has played MUCH better the last two matches. He was deep in my **** list for his January.

Would love for Lovren to pan out, maybe two bad moves from him when playing off the bench, neither were life threatening (so to speak).

Lallana has been hurt. Give him a chance. As I stated before, I can't waiting until Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge, Sterling and Balo/Ibe are out there together with Gerrard pulling the strings.

I really want Lovern (or Kolo) to take that RCB spot so Can can take over that midfield spot next to Hendo.

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 1