Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Congratulations. Fantastic return to European action.

But Ricky Lambert has still scored more Champions League goals than Everton historically.

GHH, he giverh with one hand ..... :)

Hail.

... and Lambert will most likely see if he can score as many Europa League goals as Everton this season.

Sorry, but don't see Pool beating Basel, so you should keep your Thursday night's open (unless Ludogrets beats RM, in that case your weeknights will be open for rest of year).

... and Lambert will most likely see if he can score as many Europa League goals as Everton this season.

Sorry, but don't see Pool beating Basel, so you should keep your Thursday night's open (unless Ludogrets beats RM, in that case your weeknights will be open for rest of year).

No need to applogise. I don't know any sane red who's taking ANY game for granted. Let alone Basle. If I were a Basle fan I's fancy my chances. One things for sure, we'll have to score at least twice because we ain't not conceding with this defence.

All that said, everyone thought we were out in 2005 against Olympiacos needing to win by 2 to progress ...... Then when Leverkusen and Juve scored late away goals the last 16 and quarter first legs respectively we were gone ...... Then there was no way we'd beat Chelsea the semi ...... Then we were dead and buried at 3 down to Milan and a historically brilliant defence in Istanbul ...... All with a much worse side than the current shambles.

So this will be great to look back on and joke about come Berlin on D-day. :)

BTW, we all categorically want a trip to Munich in February if we beat Basle.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'd have Sturridge start picking out his "brand" of cortizone for the Basel game.

I'd also let him know that it's on his dime.

Related:- I think that's most of Sturridges problems. We're ;pressuring him to come back before he's fully fit.

Hail.

I think it's time to stop counting on Sturridge. They need to plan on him never returning and bring in at least one very good to world class striker. If Sturridge comes back, great…but he will always have these injuries and cannot be a part of their day to day plans.

• Like 1

I have to say... that was more effort than I've seen out of this team all year.  There was urgency against Southampton to get that lead goal at the begining of the season... but there was geniune focus and effort out of the side today.

Very simple, very basic approach to start, and then they built on it as the game went on.

That was a game where I'd speak up at a bar and let everyone know that I support that team wearing the Red kits.

Oh... and if it was Wilfried Bony instead of Rickey Lambert Liverpool win this one going away about 5-0.  He sucks.

Keep Kolo fresh, please.

Lucky, LUCKY Liverpool.  But we'll take it.

I have NO idea how Stoke contrived to lose that game today. They hit the post. Had an effort cleared off the line when it looked easier to score. And forced Mingolet into countless good saves. The less said about the absolutely abysmal first half the better. 64 minutes before our first shot on goal. At home. Against absolute garbage. Stubborn ass steadfastly sticking to his bollocks system. And after going out of his way this week to say Gerrard is in the team on merit and not sentiment, and that he would continue as a defensive midfielder as that can now allow him to play 3 times a week (both total bunkum to be polite); he goes and drops/ rests him on his anni day! Rodgers is making himself sound more and more the **** with each passing day the utter ****e he's spouting. Great determination from Johnson for the goal. Complete and utter relief at the whistle as boy did we need that.

However undeserved.

Guess I should be happy with a win at last but the performance again, at home (that's now 7 goals scored at Anfield in 6 games. That's relegation form); but after the relief of the winner the aftermath has been very subdued.

Funny times to be a Liverpudlian.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Lucky, LUCKY Liverpool.  But we'll take it.

I won't disagree with any of the approaches to the game by BR or the politics, but we could've just have easily had 3 or 4 goals today, too.

I think he took this opportunity to simplify the game for the side and it worked out.  I don't know if that was his intent, but it seems like the light started going on in the second half on how to play with a target forward.  We had midfielders getting up there with Rickey as oppossed to passing to him and expecting him to hold it.

I think we abandoned the "patient build-up" today.  Same look, but different approach.  We'll see if we can build off of that.

I thought it was a good effort.

FIFA Puskas award for the best goal of the past year:

"It's that time of year again, when you get to cast your vote for the FIFA Puskas Award. We have finished whittling the thousands of goals from around the world between 3 October 2013 and 26 September 2014 down to just three. Now you have an even tougher challenge – choosing just one which you believe is worthy of succeeding Zlatan Ibrahimovic's stunning effort that scooped the 2013 award. Join us for the FIFA Ballon d’Or 2014 Gala on 12 January to find out which player will receive the award for the greatest goal of the year!"

Vote for the Irish chick!

http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/puskas-award/index.html

Luckily for you guys I guess the ICC will remain Stateside this summer (8 teams, yet to be confirmed); BUT there will be a 3 team 'sister' tournament played in Australia at Melbourne's MCG. Real Madrid have already confirmed for the MCG.

http://2015.internationalchampionscup.com/

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=INTCHAWAIT

Liverpool have been invited to participate in the Melbourne mini tourney, so regardless of whether they accept (I have a feeling they won't in favour of a far East tour with a friendly in Adelaide); they won't be Stateside next summer.

Unlucky US reds.

Hail.

Totally ignoring Mario's stupidity of late.... and at the risk of not focusing on a game day, I want to drop by and post this for those interested.  Cause it is looking more and more real now.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DC-Council-Poised-to-Approve-Stadium-Deal-284436001.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

299471_heroa.jpg

We all have a soft spot for RFK, but it's not a proper football venue.  The bouncing stands are cool for La Barra Brava and the tailgaiting still rocks... it's also much easier to leave a DC United match than it EVER was a Redskins game cause they only sell tickets to the lower bowl for United games.

The European influence on this stadium is GORGEOUS.  I hope it comes to fruition.  Selfishly the location is great... about 3 blocks from Nats park and about 2 blocks from Fort McNair... where I can park for free!

This would be great for DC United.  Playing in an NFL/MLB stadium from the 50s has really hurt this teams image, even with all of the success.  This is the right time to make this move, while Ben Olsen has the side humming.

It went the way of the Wenger one.

We just don't want to be stuck waiting a decade for a trophy and consoling ourselves with top 4 placing's that lead to nothing. ;)

Hail.

Got into a heated debate about Agger with my brother in law last night.  Well, not so heated... but ultimately we agreed that any manager with an idea of how to shape a defense would still have Agger here.  I reluctantly agreed.  So I apologize to you and Jo.  I also think if Rafa or Klopp were here that Lovren would miraculously be worth the money.... just like Agger would.

Remember this one thing, the Rafa era ended poorly, but the owners were not spending money at that time cause they were preparing to sell the team to Fenway.  I think there is a long list of managers who could win with this team right now.

Following the ESPN Gamecast this weekend with Rovers vs Boro.  Had us losing 1-0.  When I checked the match report the next day it said we drew 1-1 with a very late equalizer in stoppage time by Rudy Gestede.  ESPN never bothered to update with a goal, but kept updating with throw ins, etc.  Get it together ESPN, really. 

Unbeaten in 9, sitting in 6th and four points back of first place.  Rovers fans out there still not confident in Bowyer.  Absolutely mental.  Granted I had my moment of weakness earlier in the year (documented somewhere in this thread).  But he's built upon his successes at every step.  Insanity to try and sack him for anyone else right now.

Edited by Old Bay

It went the way of the Wenger one.

We just don't want to be stuck waiting a decade for a trophy and consoling ourselves with top 4 placing's that lead to nothing. ;)

Hail.

The Wenger one won 3 premier league titles and 5 FA cups

I dont know what a Brenton revolution is. Winning the passing?

• Like 1

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DC-Council-Poised-to-Approve-Stadium-Deal-284436001.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

We all have a soft spot for RFK, but it's not a proper football venue.  The bouncing stands are cool for La Barra Brava and the tailgaiting still rocks... it's also much easier to leave a DC United match than it EVER was a Redskins game cause they only sell tickets to the lower bowl for United games.

Well, its not a proper soccer venue. :D

If they build that stadium I will definitely start going to games. Would be awesome. Would also allow us to be able to see friendlies and host some tournament games. Really hope it happens, looks sweet.

• Like 1

Is waiting for the bass to drop code for "sack him" like you all have been advocating?

You guys get enough intel from your parking lot perch.  Unfortunately you'll have to wait this one out. 

You'll never get my decoder ring.

• Like 1