Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest Depth Chart Surprise

Darc Requiem

Devin Thomas-WR- Redskins Aug. 9 - 1:28 pm et

Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) are both listed as third-stringers on the depth chart released by the Redskins Monday.

Thomas is behind Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams at split end while Kelly -- still sitting out with a hamstring injury -- is behind Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong at flanker. Thomas entered camp third on the depth chart, but it was thought that his talent would at least move him up with the second-stringers. Moss is the only 'Skins receiver worth drafting at this point.

Source: redskins.com

Related: Joey Galloway, Roydell Williams, Malcolm Kelly, Anthony Armstrong

Biggest surprise: Devin Thomas. Kelly I expected cus the dude hasn't practiced. I'm also surprised Austin isn't higher up' date=' considering he's been one of the supposed bright spots at camp.[/quote']

The fact that Kelly is ahead of Austin shows what they think of his talent.

I'm not at all surprised that the vets are ahead of the young receivers early in camp. I would expect that to change as camp rolls on.

Depth charts this early are meant to piss players off. If Shanny went out and gave Al or DT starting positions it makes them not work as hard. Making DT a 3rd string WR makes him bust his ass beyond belief to start. It makes him better. Thats all that matters.

I think depth chart is unofficial says all it need to ..

I would think the WR and other positions have stayed the same since the start of camp and we will not see the real depth charts for at least 2-3 weeks ...I think this was yet another message to Bug Al .

My guess is that a bunch of this depth chart is motivational (Thomas, Kelly, Haynesworth). I'll be shocked if Joey Galloway is our starting WR on opening day.

I think so too...but with every passing day, I'm becoming more OK with Galloway playing a role in 2010. Hopefully he can just buy Thomas, Austin, and someone else a little more time.

Depth charts this early are meant to piss players off. If Shanny went out and gave Al or DT starting positions it makes them not work as hard. Making DT a 3rd string WR makes him bust his ass beyond belief to start. It makes him better. Thats all that matters.

Agreed.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Everyone should stop worrying. There no way Austin does not make this team. Receiver is our weakest link this year so Shanahan should use these tactics to motivate players. I believe Armstrong and Austin will make the team this year. As for positions that are strong (such as CB)...I believe that depth is correct. Tyron is our worst corner...not sure how people are surprised with that...Our starting four will be Rogers, Hall, Barnes, and Buchanon. Westbrook will be our 5th CB and he's not bad at all...I expect Tyron to get cut depending on preseason performances.

Agreed.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Everyone should stop worrying. There no way Austin does not make this team. Receiver is our weakest link this year so Shanahan should use these tactics to motivate players. I believe Armstrong and Austin will make the team this year. As for positions that are strong (such as CB)...I believe that depth is correct. Tyron is our worst corner...not sure how people are surprised with that...Our starting four will be Rogers, Hall, Barnes, and Buchanon. Westbrook will be our 5th CB and he's not bad at all...I expect Tyron to get cut depending on preseason performances.

Archived