Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider - Malcolm Kelly believes he'll make the team

TSO

Credit goes to Haphaszard for posting this in Bubba's RBN...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/wide-receivers/malcolm-kelly-believes-hell-ma.html

As the rest of his Redskins teammates made their way off the practice field toward the locker room late Thursday morning, Malcolm Kelly remained behind, catching footballs spit from a passing machine. He didn't run routes because of the strained hamstring that has prevented him from practicing since last week, but he worked on keeping his hands sharp, knowing he won't be able to practice for several more days.

Coach Mike Shanahan said Kelly will have plenty of time to prove himself if he's ready for all four preseason games, but there is some speculation that the third-year wideout is hurting his chances to remain with the team that drafted him in the second round in 2008. Kelly, though, said he can't allow himself to think that way.

"If you don't believe in what you can do, man, if you think you're beat from the start, what's the purpose of even being out here?" he said Thursday. "That's what I really think about every single time somebody asks me that."

Kelly, who has 28 catches for 365 yards and no touchdowns in his two seasons with the Redskins, has admitted repeatedly that his current situation is "frustrating." But he also believes that, if he's ready for all the preseason games, he will have plenty of time to prove he deserves to make the team.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

If Galloway is doing as poorly as reported, and Furrey has a concussion, that makes the Comb's chances that much better. Not to wish a concussion on anyone, but I'd rather have a healthy Kelly than a healthy Furrey every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

we totally need this guy to come through for us. I am not sure how much patience Shanny is going to have with a young unproven injury prone wideout. We are going with vets all over the place, and I am worrying he may end up a surprise cut.

I don't even think it would be a surprise if he was cut, many have said that he may or may not even make the team this year so if he doesn't I won't be freaking out. I would be upset if someone like Galloway made it as he showed nothing really special at TC yesterday

I agree, I'd love for Kelly to become the guy we need him to be, but he's got to get on the field. At this point, 3 years from being drafted and really nothing to show for it, he's on the bubble.

I hope the hammy heals up quick.

I think what is helping Kelly is the fact that Furry and Galloway are really not sparkling although Roydell Williams is showing flashes . Kelly might have to battle his way up the depth charts but I think he will stick this season ... our 5 will be Moss, Williams, Thomas, Austin and Kelly ...with Galloway et al on speed dial .

I think if he doesn't get out on the field for preseason and stay there he will be cut. The only real question for me with him has always been availability. I think he has the talent to be decent, just not sure if he has the durability.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

hahahahha

I really don't see that there is room for him at WR. We need people that are healthy to play. He is never healthy. If they keep 5,

1. Moss

2. Galloway

3. Thomas

4. Austin

5. Furrey

6. Roydell Williams

Well that's 6 and it's crowded. Shanahan likes guys who play.

dont think furrey makes the squad over wade or comb.

I do feel bad for M.K. Bottom line though...a team can't keep paying an unhealthy player just to keep him around. Some people pull hammys often. Nothing I think you can train for....cept that this guy has had leg problems since he's been here. Devon Thomas has been pretty healthy...D Thomas bulked up and worked out hard in the offseason too. Doesn't it kind of leave the impression maybe Malcolm just doesn't train hard enough?? Not getting his strength up? Just a thought. I keep thinking about that game (was it N.O.?) when he was walked down and just missed scoring....that is putrid son! How the hell do you have like 20 yards on a bama...and get walked down and denied the TD. Great play...but jeez.

Sorry..I started off trying to give him props than frustrated myself and ruined it. lol

Archived