Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider - Malcolm Kelly believes he'll make the team

TSO

No offense to WALL-LE or any other poster, but that's just not credible to me. Until I see an article from a mediot, or even better an interview with Shanahan/McCardell with this info, then its all hearsay to me.

I understand but when you watch him practice he never hustles or puts any effort into it imo. He;s just going through the motions. I know hes a veteran but hes in no position to act like he is something special. He catches the balls that are directly at him but i saw him drop the ones he had to reach out for. If he doesnt really impress in pre-season i think they cut him and just stay with the young guys, maybe keep Roydell Williams or Banks

I think the Redskins are coming closer to the decision that they are going to need to go out and acquire a #2 wide receiver for 2010.

The older players are too old and the younger players in Kelly and Thomas lack the readiness to come in and be contributors anytime soon.

The problem is we don't need a #2, we need a #1. Moss is still a very good receiver who I think will have a big year with McNabb being a very good deep ball QB. He is not a true #1 though.

I still have hope that Thomas benefits from being in a true NFL offense with better QB play behind better pass protection. I also think Kelly will make the team but he is running out of time.

Meanwhile I expect to see both Cooley and Davis spending a lot of time in the slot making up for the weakness at receiver.

As of 5 days ago, Shanahan said he was the top WR on the roster. So that really doesn't make sense, unless he has stunk up camp and that really hasn't been reported either.

I dunno 5 days ago that is actually a long time in camp days . Following the tweets Galloway has not be doing much impressive . What you see is what you get with Joey these days . He knows his career is pretty much over and is just going through the motions which is disappointing given the team is giving him one more chance .

we totally need this guy to come through for us. I am not sure how much patience Shanny is going to have with a young unproven injury prone wideout. We are going with vets all over the place, and I am worrying he may end up a surprise cut.

Have to agree, it seems every camp this guy gets hurt, and as the stats show, it's not like he's doing anything on the field either to better his chances.

Shanny has really surprised me with some cuts he's made already, I don't think anyones safe unless they produce. We have a no nonsence coach, and I love it!

I think the Redskins are coming closer to the decision that they are going to need to go out and acquire a #2 wide receiver for 2010.

The older players are too old and the younger players in Kelly and Thomas lack the readiness to come in and be contributors anytime soon.

I really agree about Kelly, but I think Thomas is ready to show what he's got, and will now that we have a real QB and OC.

I feel that nobody on this offense had a real chance to prove themselves under Zorn and Campbell, this entire offense was chained. Now nobody will have an excuse, we have real leaders on this offense and I can't wait to see who steps it up and who just isn't good enough.

I understand but when you watch him practice he never hustles or puts any effort into it imo. He;s just going through the motions. I know hes a veteran but hes in no position to act like he is something special. He catches the balls that are directly at him but i saw him drop the ones he had to reach out for. If he doesnt really impress in pre-season i think they cut him and just stay with the young guys, maybe keep Roydell Williams or Banks

That might happen cutting Galloway and keeping Roydell (love that name for some reason).

But what your saying about Galloway doesn't sync up with the reports from everyone else, i know its early but Galloway has been working with the 1st team and that's straight from Mike Shanahan.

If Joey isn't hustling or putting in effort i think that would catch Mike Shanahan's ire; i read that he's makes people run after practice that weren't hustling.

granthpaulsen

Mike Shanahan had an assistant watch for players not running plays out & hustling. Then after practice he called tem out and made them run.

13 minutes ago via txt

http://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/20396153694

Maybe what you think is lack of hustle could be that as vet he's more effecient then the other receivers?

Maybe he just makes it look easier then the other young guys.

Re: Training Camp Day 8 - TWEETS

Grant Paulsen granthpaulsen:

John Beck just completed a gorgeous 40yd bomb to Joey Galloway. Perfect ball, came down at the goal line and hit Galloway in stride.

Russellmania09

Galloway just smoked Robinson on 1 on 1 drills from Beck.

----

I think the staff will give Malcolm every chance to make the team all the way through the pre-season games.

Malcolm is the best catcher of the ball on the team and regardless of his lack of top end speed having exceptional hands warrant keeping him around to see him in the preseason.

I like Kelly, and would love for him to do well. The biggest knock on him is his health. I do not think that he will ever play a full season...he gets injured too much, and history has proved that. I am not sure how Shanny feels about having a guy on his roster that he will not be able to count on for a full season.

When have we seen this in a game?

When does the grass first get its morning dew?

Much like the question above your question has nothing to with the statement i made about Malcolm's hands.

I didn't say that Malocolm would stick around b/c of past production.

Based on past production both he and Devin had 25 catches so both would suspect.

But, i believe that Malcolm's natural ability to catch the ball will keep the coaches from an early cut and he'll be given time to heal so they can make a proper assesment.

Btw-its virtually undisputed by members of the Redskins that Malcolm has the best hands.

HTTR!

When does the grass first get its morning dew?

Much like the question above your question has nothing to with the statement i made about Malcolm's hands.

I didn't say that Malocolm would stick around b/c of past production.

Based on past production both he and Devin had 25 catches so both would suspect.

But, i believe that Malcolm's natural ability to catch the ball will keep the coaches from an early cut and he'll be given time to heal so they can make a proper assesment.

Btw-its virtually undisputed by members of the Redskins that Malcolm has the best hands.

HTTR!

Despite his lack of production, I agree that his potential alone may warrant another chance with this coaching staff. He's only in year three, and it'd take a monster performance by more than two of the veteran or undrafted receivers we've brought in to warrant Kelly being cut. I have to imagine that Galloway may be close to being a lock to making the team, with Austin making a strong case to being on the active roster as well. Combine those two with the two virtual locks in Moss and Thomas, and you should still have room for Kelly. Eventually, I think we'll end up keeping 6 receivers and that it'll end up looking like this:

Moss

Thomas

Galloway

Kelly

Austin

Wade

If we end up keeping five, I'd think that Wade would be the odd man out.

We'll see what happens.

But, at the way things are going, it's looking like he is going to have a hard time remaining with the team especially if Terrence Austin out-duels him. Unless Malcolm can contribute on Special Teams, then his chances will just become slimmer and slimmer.

So far, he is looking like damaged goods but I'll reserve judgement until then. ;)

Rex Grossman ran right, threw left, and Joey Galloway did the rest, catching the ball and getting up-field.

- Kareem Moore thought he had help with Galloway on a go route up the right sideline. He didn’t, and Galloway took the McNabb pass and was gone.

The guy runs a 4.65 40 and can't make it through one week of practice without getting hurt.

Yet some of you guys talk about Malcolm Kelly's talent as if he is Jerry Rice in disguise.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Charles Rogers, Mike Williams and a bunch of other receivers that are 6'3 and 220 drafted high ended up being busts.

It's not that unusual.

And to see a player going INTO the NFL with physical problems, ie the knee, only heightens the chances of Kelly not making the grade.

As hard as it may be for some of you to believe, a guy like Anthony Armstrong may end up being a better NFL receiver than Malcolm Kelly.

Remember that the Redskins won their first Super Bowl with Alvin Garrett, acquired off waivers from the Giants, and Charlie Brown, a former #8 draft pick, as the starting wide receivers.

Just this past week Shanahan talked about cutting former #1 pick WR Anthony Miller when he was in Denver before their Super Bowl run and going with unheralded players on the outside.

Whatever grades the previous regime gave certain players is NULL and VOID with Shanahan.

If they don't get it done for him they are gone.

That's why I firmly believe Shanahan is not done at WR and will either make a trade or sign a veteran released elsewhere in the NFL before the opener to be a bridge for 2010.

I like Kelly, and would love for him to do well. The biggest knock on him is his health. I do not think that he will ever play a full season...he gets injured too much, and history has proved that. I am not sure how Shanny feels about having a guy on his roster that he will not be able to count on for a full season.

Kelly played in all 16 games last season. Below is a link...

http://www.nfl.com/players/malcolmkelly/profile?id=KEL691432

Malcolm is the best catcher of the ball on the team and regardless of his lack of top end speed having exceptional hands warrant keeping him around to see him in the preseason.

I don't think his top end speed is lacking. Go back to his college tape and you see him getting separation and making a ton of long plays. He's deceptively fast when he's striding. I bet the problem is his burst, but given his size, it's only a problem against certain types of cornerbacks--quick, strong, tough types that standout in press like Carlos himself.

Look at Larry Fitzgerald. His short area burst is unimpressive but he's fast in the open field and he doesn't need much separation to make huge plays. Malcolm's hands probably approach his and he's a similar runner and athlete. I doubt he'll ever be half the heady and smooth route runner Fitzgerald is, but he could still be productive if he actually gets onto the field. Kyle and Mike Shanahan have had way more success with way less athletic receivers--Kevin Walter, Ed McCaffrey--I think Malcolm will be fine.

For me, it just makes too much sense not go 3 wide in the base formation and start Kelly at Flanker, Thomas at SE, and Moss in the Slot with Fred Davis as the first man off the bench. We've got a similar setup to what Arizona had a year or two ago. I doubt either Kelly or Thomas gets cut, what's the upshot in it? Start them and they'll either sink or swim. Do we have anyone else that's more promising and worth keeping over them?

Archived