Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

myfoxdfw.com: Beer, Not Exercise, Best For Battling The Bulge

Thiebear

I haven't read the article.

I'm not going to, i've cancelled my jog and going to drink a beer.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpps/news/weird/beer,-not-exercise,-best-for-battling-the-bulge-dpgonc-km-20100803_8992849

Beer, Not Exercise, Best For Battling The Bulge

Updated: Tuesday, 03 Aug 2010, 7:24 PM CDT

Published : Tuesday, 03 Aug 2010, 7:24 PM CDT

(NewsCore) - Swapping a daily glass of wine for a beer could help you save as many calories as you would by taking a 30-minute jog, a U.K.-based consumer group claimed Tuesday.

The consumer group Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) launched an attack on the belief that beer causes drinkers to become overweight.

The group claimed Tuesday that beer's reputation for being fattening was unfounded.

"For years, beer has been blighted by a reputation for being more fattening than other alcoholic drinks, when in reality the exact opposite is true," beer expert Prof. Charlie Bamforth said. "The major source of calories in any alcoholic drink is the alcohol itself, and because beer is the drinks category with the lowest average alcohol content, it is also lowest in calories -- so for someone looking to lose weight, swapping their glass of wine for a beer every day would ... cut out more calories than are burned off during a typical 30-minute jog."

Cabernet Sauvignon 4oz = 90 calories

Heineken 12oz = 150 calories

Calories burned in a 30 minute jog = ~250

I really have no idea where the claim "swapping their glass of wine for a beer every day would ... cut out more calories than are burned off during a typical 30-minute jog" is coming from.

who drinks a 4oz. shot of Cabernet Sauvignon.. I got my 16oz koolaid cup and my box of wine.

16 oz is one hell of a glass of wine. Raise it to 6 oz (half a beer sized glass of wine) and you'd have about 125 calories.

While we are on the subject: Whiskey is about 100 calories per shot. That's less than wine's 125 per glass or beer. Moral of the story? Drink more Whiskey.

16 oz is one hell of a glass of wine. Raise it to 6 oz (half a beer sized glass of wine) and you'd have about 125 calories.

While we are on the subject: Whiskey is about 100 calories per shot. That's less than wine's 125 per glass or beer. Moral of the story? Drink more Whiskey.

Who drinks just a shot? :)

More likely to fill the wine glass with whiskey. :ols:

The only way this story makes any sense is if people are drinking equal volumes. Then beer, because it's lower alcohol content per ounce, would be less fattening.

Yea, but Heineken tastes like a butt.

No seriously, there are beers that have less calories than that. I think Guiness actually only has about 75 calories.

I wonder if they are skewing the facts...

I think it's true that beer has fewer calories "pound for pound". So, if you were to drink the same number of ounces of the two beverages, you'd probably be drinking fewer calories with beer. But that's not realistic.

A 5-oz glass of wine has fewer calories/about as much alcohol as a 12-oz beer. So, unless you drink WAY TOO MUCH wine or just like to sip 1/3 of a beer, this study is ridiculous.

I wonder if they are skewing the facts...

I think it's true that beer has fewer calories "pound for pound". So, if you were to drink the same number of ounces of the two beverages, you'd probably be drinking fewer calories with beer. But that's not realistic.

A 5-oz glass of wine has fewer calories/about as much alcohol as a 12-oz beer. So, unless you drink WAY TOO MUCH wine or just like to sip 1/3 of a beer, this study is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's what I think the study is saying, which is just about as statistically misleading as you can get. Sixteen ounces of beer isn't as bad for you as sixteen ounces of hard liquor? ****ing duh.

Archived