Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun : DOJ Officer Shoots Dog... While Fenced In at a Dog Park...

Ellis

UPDATE: More on the story....

http://wjz.com/local/bear.husky.dog.2.1859302.html

A family is demanding action after their dog is shot and killed by an off-duty federal officer.

The case has brought an outpouring of support from Anne Arundel County dog lovers.

Mike Hellgren spoke with a lawyer for the Siberian Husky's owners who is concerned about the pace of the investigation.

There's certainly a lot of outrage over the shooting, and a rally has been planned.

Meanwhile, the owners of that Husky named Bear-Bear say the pain of what happened is still very fresh for them.

A rain-soaked memorial stands just outside the Quail Run Dog Park, where an off-duty federal police officer shot and killed Bear-Bear last week.

The dog's owners again went to police, asking for a critical supplemental case report but didn't get it.

They are frustrated, but they're getting a lot of support.

"I think a lot of people can put themselves in our shoes, and they have animals that they love and treat like family members. And so they can feel our pain. Because they can only imagine what it feels like to lose a really loved animal, a member of your family. And just look at Bear-Bear; you can see how lovable he is and how people can't help but gravitate toward him," said Rachel Rettaliata, owner.

"We understand the supplemental report was finished August 9," said the family's lawyer Charlotte Weinstein.

Weinstein is also waiting for that critical information from police, including witness statements, diagrams and 911 tapes, before filing a civil lawsuit.

"This is a lot longer than I have ever had to wait in any of my cases, and yes it does concern me," said Weinstein.

The state's attorney's office is still deciding whether or not to file federal charges.

Police have not named the officer, who, through his lawyer, claims Bear-Bear was aggressive with him, his German Shepherd and his wife, who all felt in danger.

He claims that's why he used his personal glock 9-millimeter to shoot the dog. It's an account Bear Bear's owner refutes.

"I trust that the state's attorney's office, they're doing a very thorough investigation. I just hope they're not meeting the resistance that we are," said Weinstein.

Prosecutors are investigating whether the officer was authorized to carry a concealed weapon and whether he was justified to shoot Bear-Bear.

"We're willing to do whatever it takes to follow this as far as we can to the fullest extent to see that justice happens for Bear-Bear because he deserves that," said Rachel.

The careful review of this case has reached the highest level of the state's attorney's office because of the high profile of Bear-Bear's death.

Bear-Bear supporters will rally outside the state's attorney's office in Annapolis Monday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the afternoon.

Shame on anyone standing up for the killer of this animal: I go to plenty of dog parks and you assume risk when you go there that there may be an aggressive dog there with an owner who don't understand that they shouldn't bring their dog around. My dog is the opposite of aggressive and I have her get into scraps with other dogs and it sucks every time but you just yell at them and break it up and one dog leaves the park. The fact an off duty officer pulled his gun out and actually shot a dog means this guy has a few screws loose. I hope he gets his card pulled and potentially loses his job, he obviously has problems with either aggression or coping under pressure, firing a gun should have been the last thing on his mind.

I was lumping the two of those together, but in the context of public safety.

there are two main issues here:

1) a dog fight was broken up in a way that resulted in the death of a dog.

2) a weapon was discharged (whether or not it had to be used, and wheter or not it was used in a safe manner)

i consider the second item to be much more important.

Are you sure it was a dog fight and not just dogs playing?

It's my understanding this guy was not technically a police officer, so was he able to carry a concealed weapon?

And the "it's just a dog" remark is just a bit off base. It is more than a dog. It was a member of someone's household and a loved/cherished family member of that household.

I have owned many dogs, and even have owned a husky. This breed does play a bit differently than other breeds and can seem aggressive. But a 3 year old husky is akin to a young human in their late teens to early twenties as far as a maturity or playfullness level. Reports from neighbors don't indicate that this was a violent or aggressive animal so an incident of a fight in the dog park seem out of the ordinary and far fetched when considering the testimonies from the neighbors.

Okay, if you equate killing an animal to killing a person, which people in this thread have done...then you have to equate protecting an animal to protecting a person. You feel that Bear-Bear's family should be outraged that a member of their family was killed. But I haven't seen you mention any consideration that this dude was protecting his "kid".

No, actually you clearly did miss something. And you continue to.

Dude, I got the utmost respect for you, but you need to let this go.

A very small minority espoused that they would shoot someone over the dog in this instance, but you keep running with it.

The majority have exclaimed the obvious. Human life has more value than that of an animal. We raise livestock for consumption and to perform tasks for us to make our lives easier. They have value, but are not on the level of a human family member.

That being the case, a pet as in this instance, is more closely related to a family member than livestock. The emotional investment is much higher.

And the majority has not espoused that the "shooter" had no right to protect his pet/family member. Just that his actions were not responsible. A responsible pet owner would have followed alternative/more responsible routes to protect his pet/family member.

Once again, I have the utmost respect for you, but you seem to have taken a few isolated diatribes and applied them to everyone in this forum.

And the "it's just a dog" remark is just a bit off base. It is more than a dog. It was a member of someone's household and a loved/cherished family member of that household.

I have owned many dogs, and even have owned a husky. This breed does play a bit differently than other breeds and can seem aggressive. But a 3 year old husky is akin to a young human in their late teens to early twenties as far as a maturity or playfullness level. Reports from neighbors don't indicate that this was a violent or aggressive animal so an incident of a fight in the dog park seem out of the ordinary and far fetched when considering the testimonies from the neighbors.

Its just a DOG. Seriously are you truly relating a DOG to a human being? People really need to have their heads examined. I have owned many dogs, I loved them to death and shed tears when they did, but they are property. Are people so out of touch with reality and other people that the seriously think of a dog as the same way as a person?

Its just a DOG. Seriously are you truly relating a DOG to a human being? People really need to have their heads examined. I have owned many dogs, I loved them to death and shed tears when they did, but they are property. Are people so out of touch with reality and other people that the seriously think of a dog as the same way as a person?

It was just a DOG?

Now if you were to read further what I have expressed, no where did I state that their lives are worth more than a humans. Not sure where you got the inkling I was comparing them to a human, but I am quite used to wild extrapolations here on ES. ( your response to me is a perfect example.)

The point being, and I will state this as clearly as I can for you, is that the shooter acted irresponsibly. A responsible dog owner at a dog park would have made other attempts in lieu of use of a firearm.

And they are property, but if you do take a pet into your household, they become more than just property. Being just property is a comparison to livestock being raised for food or work. But a family pet is viewed a bit differently than that. A family pet does develop more emotional attachements with their owners. And that my friend was the point.

Charges To Be Filed In Dog Shooting Case

BALTIMORE -- Charges will be filed against an officer accused of fatally shooting a dog at a Severn park, an incident that sparked outrage among residents and strong comments from the county executive.

The Anne Arundel County state’s attorney’s office said Wednesday it will file misdemeanor charges against Keith Shepherd. He'll be charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty, according to spokeswoman Kristin Fleckenstein.

Police said the 32-year-old officer fired his weapon at the Siberian husky named Bear Bear at the Quail Run Community Dog Park in Severn on Aug. 2. He was off duty at the time.

Shepherd claimed that Bear Bear got aggressive with his own dog, but Bear Bear's owners said the dogs were just playing.

More @ link

Reading is fundamental.

Where did he relate the life of a dog to a human? He merely related the lifespan of the two.

Btw, dogs are not property. I would never think of my dog that I lost back in 2006 as property. She was a part of the family. That doesn't mean I value her as much as say my best friend but she was family, not property.

No one values a dog's life as equal to a human's.

But remember, we put dogs above any other animal. We trust them with our lives.

How pathetic....animal cruelty? Chalk another win up for cops being above the law and doing whatever they want, whenever they want. I have respect for cops who do there job day in and day out and never believe they are above anyone else but I have no respect for this loser. God will punish this piece of garbage later on in life.

Obviously, the federal police officer in question valued his dog as more than just property.

Too bad he couldn't have thought out his actions before losing his mind and opening fire at a dog park.

Another article said he would also be charged with "discharging a weapon within 100 yards of an occupied structure". That actually carries a penalty twice that of the cruelty charge. The man will probably lose his job with a conviction on either...which he no doubt should.

Are you so out of touch with reality that you don't know how much families love their dogs? If I shot your dog you'd be breaking down my door for a fight. I honestly doubt you'd say "It's just my dog" and be done with it. Stop with the contrary for contrary's sake routine.

Are you so out of touch with reality that you don't know how much families love their dogs? If I shot your dog you'd be breaking down my door for a fight. I honestly doubt you'd say "It's just my dog" and be done with it. Stop with the contrary for contrary's sake routine.

Exactly and that pretty much sums up the entire , "it's just a dog" argument. Anyone who says otherwise is full of **** and message board grandstanding.

I am very aware of how much people love their dogs, looking at all the losers going around and dressing them up like people. Frankly that is disturbing as well as degrading to the dog, people like that have mental issues. BTW I would want to fight you if you shot my car as well as my dog. So no its not a "routine".

Another article said he would also be charged with "discharging a weapon within 100 yards of an occupied structure". That actually carries a penalty twice that of the cruelty charge. The man will probably lose his job with a conviction on either...which he no doubt should.
Thanks, I was curious why he wasn't in the other article.

Dogs are wonderful. But using a firearm recklessly with lots of people around was at least as great an offense here.

I am very aware of how much people love their dogs, looking at all the losers going around and dressing them up like people. Frankly that is disturbing as well as degrading to the dog, people like that have mental issues. BTW I would want to fight you if you shot my car as well as my dog. So no its not a "routine".

Seriously! It's a dog! Give it its pride! Dogs have no business wearing clothes. That is absolutely ridiculous.

What would make you angrier? Someone shooting your tires, or someone shooting your dog in its paw?

Archived