Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun : DOJ Officer Shoots Dog... While Fenced In at a Dog Park...

Ellis

I was just watching channel 7 News and they reported that there was new evidence in the investigation that has the possibility of warranting charges being brought on the shooter.

It's times like this that I wish eye for an eye was a valid solution. Shoot his dog in front of him.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/24513015/detail.html?source=bal

County Executive Leopold speaks of the incident...

Late Wednesday afternoon, Anne Arundel County Executive John Leopold and the county's police chief said the investigation continues.

"I want this case investigated thoroughly to find out all the facts of this case to determine exactly what happened, and if charges are warranted, and if they are warranted, we're going to prosecute to the full extent of the law," Leopold said.

Leopold added, "I have great concern regarding the shooting incident (Monday) night at the Quail Run dog park. It is concerning whenever a firearm is discharged at a public facility, let alone a facility that close to homes and children playing. All aspects of this incident merit a thorough and complete investigation.

"We have wonderful resources for dog owners in Anne Arundel County. I want to ensure our citizens that these facilities are a safe and enjoyable place to let your dog exercise."

well.... any time a police officer discharges his/her firearm.... govt issued firearm, there is an investigation. so i am assuming that he probably used his own gun and therefore he isnt going to be investigated on those grounds. however.... fire a firearm in a residential area is prohibited in most municipalities and would be investigated once the discharging of the firearm had been confirmed.

so i ask...... why isnt it? regardless if the guy was justified or not.... why is this not being investigated?

i do like dogs. I just don't elevate them ridiculously as has happened in our society in the last decade or so.

so you think "society" has elevated dogs ridiculously in the last 10 years?

I don't think you get it. Dogs have been important to man for thousands of years. In modern society they become family, not pets. They're companionship is comparable to that of one of your human best friends....and odds are, they're far more loyal.

You say you like dogs, but honestly it sounds to me like you like them about as much as most people like having the flu.

There is no reason to defend the cop in this situation, hopefully the people find a way to win a law suit. What kind of an idiot shows up to a fenced in dog park and keeps his dog on a leash? Dogs often become more protective when on the leash, and act completely different when off.

...What kind of an idiot shows up to a fenced in dog park and keeps his dog on a leash? Dogs often become more protective when on the leash, and act completely different when off.

Good point. I wonder how much experience the officer had in dog park settings. Like the officer in this instance I own a GSD and have know since he was a puppy that he has a completely different personality on leash. In fact many dog parks require dogs OFF leash to reduce this problem. Plus if your dog mixes it up with another animal and he is on a leash the scuffle happens at your feet and could cause you to feel in danger.

It is very stressful the first few times you see your dog playing rough with a strange dog and I'll admit I used to cary a knife when I went in case things seriously got out of hand. I have seen plenty of small fights and a little blood but never though I needed to use my weapon. This sounds like an inexperianced handler that got nervous and seriously over reacted.

There is no reason to defend the cop in this situation, hopefully the people find a way to win a law suit. What kind of an idiot shows up to a fenced in dog park and keeps his dog on a leash? Dogs often become more protective when on the leash, and act completely different when off.

Glad you know all the facts that haven't even been reported. We don't know what happened. Maybe his dog was in peril. If so, he should have the right to defend his dog. Maybe he overreacted and should be charged. Maybe he just entered the dog park and hadn't even gotten a chance to take his dog off the leash. Maybe he didn't want to take his dog off the leash. It was, after all, the unleashed dog that would of had to come up to his, in all likelyhood.

Glad you know all the facts that haven't even been reported. We don't know what happened. Maybe his dog was in peril. If so, he should have the right to defend his dog. Maybe he overreacted and should be charged. Maybe he just entered the dog park and hadn't even gotten a chance to take his dog off the leash. Maybe he didn't want to take his dog off the leash. It was, after all, the unleashed dog that would of had to come up to his, in all likelyhood.

No, only the other guys dog is like family. Or whatever else people are saying in this thread.

I love dogs as much as the next guy. But they aren't people. I feel sorry for the people in this thread that haven't managed to come across a human friend that is more valuable to them than a dog.

so you think "society" has elevated dogs ridiculously in the last 10 years?

I don't think you get it. Dogs have been important to man for thousands of years. In modern society they become family, not pets. They're companionship is comparable to that of one of your human best friends....and odds are, they're far more loyal.

You say you like dogs, but honestly it sounds to me like you like them about as much as most people like having the flu.

As long as the dog owner understands that his family is part of the dog's pack, not the dog is part of his family. I just get thoroughly annoyed when people treat dogs like people.

What kind of an idiot shows up to a fenced in dog park and keeps his dog on a leash? Dogs often become more protective when on the leash, and act completely different when off.

100% true. I hate owners who keep their dogs on a leash in a off-leash dog park/area.

Since when did someone off duty or anyone for that matter have the right to whip out a gun and shoot someone else's pet in a public park? I don't care if it's President Obama's dog, not even the secret service should have that right. I have wild cats that come from a farm nearby, as much as I would like to shoot them, I don't have that right because I live in a residential neighborhood and I'm not allowed to fire any weapon within 300 yards of a house. This off duty cop was in a public place and lost control of himself, he should be fired.

You really don't know the differences between a dog and a person?

??

i'm asking why you feel sorry for people who dont like other people.

Edit: or rather, why you feel sorry for people who feel they havent "found someone as valuable to them as a dog"

why do you pity those people? is what i'm asking.

The guys name should be released simply so that the people that take their dog to this park know the guy has been known to shoot other people's dogs, justified or not.

One way or the other the facts should be known, whether it's "John Q Law shot a dog because <some valid reason>" or "John Q Law shot a dog for no good reason." Either way, it happened, the facts of the matter should be public.

I don't think I know any more about this situation then you do but I'll fill you in on a general note or two.

You always take your dogs leash off before entering the play area. Dog parks have 2 gates. One into a small fenced area and one into the large play area. You take your dog into the small area and take the leash off then let it into the play area. You NEVER take your dog into the play area when other dogs are there on a leash. It makes it a target. It will be a lot more defensive and other dogs see it as a weakness. This causes more fights.

If he didn't want to take it off the leash, he had no business taking it into the dog park. Most dog parks I have been to, this is all spelled out on a sign before entering the dog area.

Yes, the dog that was already off the leash would have come up once the other dog got into the play area. That is to "get to know each other". One may try to be more dominant then the other. They may growl at each other. They may even wrestle. This is to decide who is in charge. It is completely normal, healthy dog behavior.

My (admittedly uninformed) opinion is the agent was not familiar with how to handle a dog park. And also had no business taking a gun in there.

No, only the other guys dog is like family. Or whatever else people are saying in this thread.

I love dogs as much as the next guy. But they aren't people. I feel sorry for the people in this thread that haven't managed to come across a human friend that is more valuable to them than a dog.

How did you get from "dogs arent people" to people in this thread that like dogs "haven't managed to come across a human friend that is more valuable to them than a dog"? It IS actually possible to like dogs AND people. At the same time. :rubeyes:

Kind of a big leap there.

There are a bunch of worthless humans out there. I don't know how it can be just black and white.

Yet those are imprisoned and executed.

I love dogs and have always had them. But there is no way that a dog's life is more important than a human family member. It is not even close.

Not really. He was saying people overvalue their dogs compared to humans.

How did you get from "dogs arent people" to people in this thread that like dogs "haven't managed to come across a human friend that is more valuable to them than a dog"? It IS actually possible to like dogs AND people. At the same time. :rubeyes:

Yes it is possible. My point was in response to at least one person(I think there were more) that were making the claim that dogs are better friends than people. I didn't introduce the concept...just responded to it

Archived