Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UPDATE!!! Mike Williams NOT released, but instead put on Non Football Illness List (MET)

th3realist

Nice to see that Snyder is going to stand behind Mike in re his health issues.

At the same time, the team needs to move on in terms of the active roster.

So, the move here is understandable.

PLEASE whatever folks do in regards to suggestions for the OL..............DO NOT EVER suggest that Bruce Allen bring back Levi Jones.

Levi Jones at LT is a recipe for a rapid end to the career of Donovan McNabb.

At 31 Jones isn't getting any better with age.

Well, look at what he accomplished. I think if there's a will there's a way.

Great point. Fact is, BMW has really proven to us all, I believe, that he sincerely wants to re-establish himself in the NFL, as a player and as a Redskin. His body of work since coming to Washington has been nothing short of remarkable and truly an inspiring story.

I hated to hear of this condition he has and how it has temporarily derailed his comeback bid. Like most of the posters here, I wish him and his family nothing but the best and a speedy and healthy recovery. His health should always come before the game of football, and given what he has accomplished over the last year and half should go along way to making sure he stays fit and healthy while going through this ordeal.

Hope BMW makes full recovery this season. Glad to see he will likely end up on IR (Thanks for clearing that up, MTH) and hopefully have the opportunity to continue to realize his dream in, once again, playing for the Washington Redskins in the NFL.

:helmet:

Best wishes to Mike. The guy's an incredibly hard worker and definitely negated the original impression he gave when he first got in the league. I can't help but respect a guy that went through as much hard work as he did to get back into the NFL.

EDIT: Just saw the update, glad to see they're holding on to him for a little longer. Hopefully he'll be able to make it back and be healthy.

I feel better now that they team has moved Mike to the non-football illness list. I am sure that there are compensation implications involved. If he was on IR he would have to be paid (either regualar amount or split contract amount). If its non-football illness then I don't think the team will have to pay him.

I feel better now that they team has moved Mike to the non-football illness list. I am sure that there are compensation implications involved. If he was on IR he would have to be paid (either regualar amount or split contract amount). If its non-football illness then I don't think the team will have to pay him.

I haven't been able to find much on it, but one thing is definite is that the team isn't required to pay his salary. It sounds like the only difference is that the team retains his rights.

So, I'm not sure if this is any better.

you cant recover from blood clots in the heart..

its not an injury or a disease. its a problem that will be with him until it's his time. that is what happens when you get fat. kids let that be a lesson to you

I never knew you could cut or release a guy if he was injured.

You can release a guy if his injuries are non-fooball related. I am studying for the NFL agent exam which I take in two weeks and have learned a lot about the way contracts are structured.

I am glad they are not cutting him out right. I like BMW. Do I think he would have been the best OL since (insert name here), but he has really shown that he has heart and desire after getting a second chance. To me he is what football, life, and the Redskins are all about. Persevere... Over come...

Good for you Big Mike. Best of luck. I hope you can get healthy enough to play again. You deserve to see the field again. Best wishes to you and you family.

I never knew you could cut or release a guy if he was injured.

It doesn't happen to high-profile guys, but I know I've read articles over the past couple of years about the Redskins coming to "injury settlements" with injured bubble players during the early stages of training camp. Not sure the specifics, but I'm guessing they make a deal with a player/agent saying "we'll pay you X right now to make roster space and let you look for another team." It's a win/win in most cases.

Archived