Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PSA: If You Have Items Without Bar Codes, Do Not Use The Self-Checkout.

Hubbs

We get it. We really do. Using the self-checkout is quick. It's easy. The people in front of you generally have a small number of items. You don't have to talk to Fred the Overly Inquisitive Cashier. Everybody wins.

Until you put one of your four bags of vegetables on the scanner.

Eons later, after you've unsuccessfully tried to scan a tomato six times before realizing that it is, in fact, impossible to scan a tomato, after you've stared at the self-checkout screen like it was Escher's infinite staircase because you can't figure out how to get into the produce category, after the attendant has walked over because your machine has told her that you've somehow managed to classify your zucchini as a box of Frosted Flakes and the weight doesn't match, after you've gone and gotten the attendant yourself because you accidentally put the next bag on before taking the last bag off and that caused the price to change, after the line behind you has tripled in length and you've just noticed that you're in control of 50% of the self-checkout system because only two of the machines are working at the moment… maybe you'll have learned that you should have just spent a minute or two with Fred.

But in case you haven't, this message is for you. Don't ****ing use the self-checkout.

That is all.

Just know how to do it, and if you're not sure, don't get in a line with four bags of fruit. Do it once with one and learn.

I use the self checkout all the time, veggies, fruits and all, no problem. It's not really that hard to do.

~Bang

I don't care if folks know what they are doing.

I get far more upset when people with a giant cart of items try to go through self check-out by themselves or folks who can't figure out that they actually have to move item #1 to the bagging area before they swipe item #2. If you can't figure out the self-checkout, please just go to the 'professional' in aisle 9.

:ols:

I always was in charge of the self scans on holidays and busy days because I think they thought I had a lot of patience. On those days, you can expect tons of idiots to be using self scan.

My favorite -

a woman walks up and is scanning some meat with coupons on them for 2 dollars off. So she scans the meat and rips off the coupon and puts the meat on the belt. Then she scans the coupon...the machine tells her to place the coupon in the bin with the blinking light. She starts frantically searching for the blinking light even though it was right by her hand. Finally, out of the corner of her eye, she sees something blink, it was a little tiny light to tell you something was on the scale (her hand), so she pulls open the scanner and places the coupon behind the glass :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

So, I hear the machine call me over, and I come over and see the coupon behind the glass, and I'm like WTF, 'how did that get there?' as I started scraping at the glass trying to grab it. She said 'it told me to place it in the blinking light' :ols:

So, in conclusion: if you dont know how to use the system for self scan, ask the person working the station to help you...its quite easy actually and only takes a couple seconds.

And this is why my new favorite grocery store has hand held scanners on the cart and weigh/sticker stations in the produce area.

I grab, scan and bag my groceries as I shop. When it's time for me to checkout all I have to do is pay the machine and go about my business.

Super Easy and I get to laugh at the fools at the self checkout trying to figure it out.

I don't mind it if you know what you're doing usually. The one thing that does irritate me is when people pull up with half-filled carts. I always thought it was an unspoken rule that self-checkout was an extension of the express lanes. So, if you had 7-10 items, feel free to use it. But lately I've seen people do their weekly shopping and go to those lines. I realize there is no sign posted, but it's common courtesy to let those lanes flow rapidly (I would think).

My rule of thumb is that I don't use those lanes if I need a cart.

Yeah, alot of people have no business using self checkouts. When I'm not in a hurry it can actually be kind of funny watching them trying to figure it out.

Bloom's self checkout registers are so bad it's hilarious. The scanners barely work, the conveyor belts stop at random, the pens for the signature tablets are usually gone, and there are hand-written signs taped all over them saying things like "Cash only!", "No coupons at this register!", or "Sign tablet with your finger!" :ols:

I'm lightning quick with the PLU entry. So I'll ignore your suggestion :finger:

However, I would like to say, retailers should offer a discount to use self checkout. They're saving money on a cashier, after all.

actually, they are losing money because of all the mis-scans.

someone should tell the legions of retailers spending billions of dollars installing self checkout lines that BLTO says they are losing money, and to stop.

If a retailer is losing money they would instantly stop, and hire more cashiers. Probably within a month, definitely within a year after the first physical count. They're not. The trend is expanding.

We always use self checkout and it doesn't bother me if someone is having difficulty with the veggies. What bothers me is when some jackass uses self checkout (BJ's Wholesale) to pay for five steel storage shelves. The boxes were almost as big as the flat cart. Everybody in the surrounding lines were either chuckling or shaking their head.

Something told me this guy had a credit card that wasn't his and wanted to avoid showing ID.

Something told me this guy had a credit card that wasn't his and wanted to avoid showing ID.

That's another thing about modern day retail that pisses me off.

I'm convinced most cashiers don't actually need to see ID, they just like to **** with people. How else do you explain not only the inconsistency among retailers, but the inconsistency from store to store among the same chain?

Now, we have that inconsistency RIGHT THERE IN THE STORE. They're laughing at us. Anyone who has a stolen CC just goes through the self-checkout.

Meanwhile, little napolean at the cash register likes to pretend he's at Checkpoint Charlie circa 1978 with the ID checks.

/rant

See, if I didn't have ES, I think I'd be on top of a bell tower. :silly:

I hear ya Zoon. One thing I've noticed lately is that retailers aren't even asking for a signature on purchases below $25.00. Don't quite understand that one. With all of the fraud that goes on this is just another easy target for the bad guy.

I think it should be law that you show your ID on all credit/debit purchases.

someone should tell the legions of retailers spending billions of dollars installing self checkout lines that BLTO says they are losing money, and to stop.

If a retailer is losing money they would instantly stop, and hire more cashiers. Probably within a month, definitely within a year after the first physical count. They're not. The trend is expanding.

A Walmart near where I live did take out their self checkouts they lasted about a year. I figured it was because people were walking out with to much stuff.

I don't mind it if you know what you're doing usually. The one thing that does irritate me is when people pull up with half-filled carts. I always thought it was an unspoken rule that self-checkout was an extension of the express lanes. So, if you had 7-10 items, feel free to use it. But lately I've seen people do their weekly shopping and go to those lines. I realize there is no sign posted, but it's common courtesy to let those lanes flow rapidly (I would think).

My rule of thumb is that I don't use those lanes if I need a cart.

That is what the 15 or less self check-out lanes are for. I ALWAYS do self check out. If I have a few items or a shopping cart full of groceries. I love out Giant, it usually has all 6 self check-out lanes open. Two are usually 15 or less.

Now mind you I know what I am doing. Most of the veggies we buy, I already know the item number so I simply enter the digits and don't even need to go to the produce look-up. Most are on the Veggies anyway.

I put my groceries on the belt to line them up on the end so I don't get a premature "The bagging area is full". When I know the area will be full, I move to the end, while something is moving down the belt, bag quickly and get back to finish scanning. Though most of the time the assistant at the area is glad to help. Whom I always thank and wish a good day to.

I simply love the self-checkout.

Bloom's self checkout registers are so bad it's hilarious. The scanners barely work, the conveyor belts stop at random, the pens for the signature tablets are usually gone, and there are hand-written signs taped all over them saying things like "Cash only!", "No coupons at this register!", or "Sign tablet with your finger!"

Ain't that the truth. Out bloom has the same issue with needing to sign tablet with finger and coupons now. Or 2 of the 3 lanes are cash only. Not to mention "Item weight does not match what is scanned". Or their scanner having a helluva time scanning my MVP card, and won't take my phone number on 2 of the lanes. Though I think the biggest problem there is it seems to be run by kids. Well young adults that don't seem to be really there.

The weird thing is, the system at Giant seems to be the same interface, uses the same produce codes, yet Bloom always has problems. Bloom is simply there to get a few odds and ends. Don't like the store nearly as much as our Giant. Bakery sucks, Deli sucks, new seafood dept is lame compared to Giants'.

Archived