Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PSA: If You Have Items Without Bar Codes, Do Not Use The Self-Checkout.

Hubbs

someone should tell the legions of retailers spending billions of dollars installing self checkout lines that BLTO says they are losing money, and to stop.

If a retailer is losing money they would instantly stop, and hire more cashiers. Probably within a month, definitely within a year after the first physical count. They're not. The trend is expanding.

No, seriously. In my store they had a dollar amount in the breakroom that showed how much money we were losing. Most of it came from self-scan.

A - people dont know how to scan ****...so when you have a lazy employee that isnt watching the stations, the person just picks up the mis-scanned item and places it at the end of the belt

B - some people put in the wrong item number in purpose to beat the system, so instead of paying for some more expensive organic fruit, they are purchasing the 49 cent bananas.

C - wheres the security at self scan? I saw a bunch of people just bulldoze their way out the door and into an awaiting car with a cart full of groceries because of where the self scan was located.

I helped the store security bust one fat lady (who was using a food stamp card, might I add ;) ), she was riding one of those little store scooters and was hiding her **** in it. She lifted up the seat and somehow found enough room to hide a cake from the bakery and some other items I cant remember.

They keep the self scan because the customers like it, and it keeps the crowds down. They take the good with the bad.

B - some people put in the wrong item number in purpose to beat the system, so instead of paying for some more expensive organic fruit, they are purchasing the 49 cent (4011)'s

4022 are grapes... That's about all I remember from Wal-Mart...

I hear ya Zoon. One thing I've noticed lately is that retailers aren't even asking for a signature on purchases below $25.00. Don't quite understand that one. With all of the fraud that goes on this is just another easy target for the bad guy.

I think it should be law that you show your ID on all credit/debit purchases.

I actually have ID on the back of my credit cards (almost exactly that big), but it still doesn't matter, they hardly ever turn it over to see the back. Even then, some don't ask to see my ID.

I've never used the self-checkout. I started to one day at Lowes, but it looked confusing, so I said screw it, I'll go over and talk to Fred. I'm like that though, I still pay alot of my bills in person (insurance, gas bill, etc...), I still go in the bank to make a deposit (occasionally i'll use the drive-thru if i'm in a hurry). But that's just how I roll. I like BS'n with other people, and you will occasionally see/hear some really funny **** sometimes :D

I go through the self scanner all the time with a full cart.

If they were meant to be express, there would be a sign to indicate that.

My time is more valuable than yours.

That's certainly the mentality I'm talking about!

:ols:

That is what the 15 or less self check-out lanes are for. I ALWAYS do self check out. If I have a few items or a shopping cart full of groceries. I love out Giant, it usually has all 6 self check-out lanes open. Two are usually 15 or less.

Now mind you I know what I am doing. Most of the veggies we buy, I already know the item number so I simply enter the digits and don't even need to go to the produce look-up. Most are on the Veggies anyway.

I put my groceries on the belt to line them up on the end so I don't get a premature "The bagging area is full". When I know the area will be full, I move to the end, while something is moving down the belt, bag quickly and get back to finish scanning. Though most of the time the assistant at the area is glad to help. Whom I always thank and wish a good day to.

I simply love the self-checkout.

I have no doubt it can be done efficiently. And, as I mentioned, I know no one is "breaking the rules" since there is no sign. However, for every person like you, there are 10 others who think they can check themselves out with a full load and simply cannot.

Also, you guys keep mentioning belts...maybe that's a key difference. The Harris Teeter by us has 4 self-checkout stations with only the bag areas so it's extremely difficult to check yourself out if you're producing more than 2-3 bags worth of groceries. There is no where to put the items and, if you remove a bag, the system tells you to put it back.

I actually have ID on the back of my credit cards (almost exactly that big), but it still doesn't matter, they hardly ever turn it over to see the back. Even then, some don't ask to see my ID.

:D

Though, technically you can deny showing them your ID if you don't want to. Doesn't really make sense to me. Buddy and I had a talk about it, and it turns out you can tell them no, and they still are supposed to approve the sale. If your card is signed, and you aren't buying anything that requires proof of age, you can deny showing your ID. You can write "Ask for ID" on the card, but the merchant isn't required to in that case.

I also love the ones that take your card and the paper you sign and pretend like they are signature experts.

It is also funny when signing at the electronic "tablet", and see what it turns your signature into at times.

Also, you guys keep mentioning belts...maybe that's a key difference. The Harris Teeter by us has 4 self-checkout stations with only the bag areas so it's extremely difficult to check yourself out if you're producing more than 2-3 bags worth of groceries. There is no where to put the items and, if you remove a bag, the system tells you to put it back.

Yeah I hate the ones that weight things WAY to strictly. Our Bloom has the 3 bags setups in 2 of the 3 self checkouts, but we are allowed take them off when it is full.

All of the Self Checkout lanes at our Giant have belts.

Though, technically you can deny showing them your ID if you don't want to. Doesn't really make sense to me. Buddy and I had a talk about it, and it turns out you can tell them no, and they still are supposed to approve the sale. If your card is signed, and you aren't buying anything that requires proof of age, you can deny showing your ID. You can write "Ask for ID" on the card, but the merchant isn't required to in that case.

I also love the ones that take your card and the paper you sign and pretend like they are signature experts.

It is also funny when signing at the electronic "tablet", and see what it turns your signature into at times.

People usually write "See ID" instead of signing the card so that you need both an ID and the card to use it.

One thing about the self checkout is that it doesn't save you time if you're buying beer or wine, because the machine will stop and call over someone to check your ID which, if there's nobody nearby available to help can slow you down significantly.

Ain't that the truth. Out bloom has the same issue with needing to sign tablet with finger and coupons now. Or 2 of the 3 lanes are cash only. Not to mention "Item weight does not match what is scanned". Or their scanner having a helluva time scanning my MVP card, and won't take my phone number on 2 of the lanes. Though I think the biggest problem there is it seems to be run by kids. Well young adults that don't seem to be really there.

The weird thing is, the system at Giant seems to be the same interface, uses the same produce codes, yet Bloom always has problems. Bloom is simply there to get a few odds and ends. Don't like the store nearly as much as our Giant. Bakery sucks, Deli sucks, new seafood dept is lame compared to Giants'.

I pass a Bloom on my way home from work, so I go there most often just out of convenience. It's definitely the worst of the major grocery stores in our area.

When I go to Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, etc. I'm always amazed at how well the self checkout stations work. It's night and day.

Umm there is a 4 number code on MOST fruits and veggies, just hit the numpad on the self check out screen, punch in the number, then put it on the scale..pretty damn simple. Hell I've memorized most of the numbers for fruits and veggies at my Giant

I believe that in this case the store has the right to deny you the sale.

Similar to restaurants, they're privately owned business and can refuse service to anyone.

For myself, in the bit of time I worked retail at Tyson's I frequently denied sales to people who didn't have ID or had their parents cards. It was company policy and our right to refuse.

I believe that in this case the store has the right to deny you the sale.

Similar to restaurants, they're privately owned business and can refuse service to anyone.

For myself, in the bit of time I worked retail at Tyson's I frequently denied sales to people who didn't have ID or had their parents cards. It was company policy and our right to refuse.

However, if someone was aware of things they could probably also bring a Privacy Act case against the establishment. Especially, if they want to continue accepting Mastercard and Visa.

The MasterCard Merchant Rules Manual provides as follows:

A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment of a card at the POI ....

The Rules for Visa Merchants provides:

When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID.

http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/Alert-FS15.htm

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but most fruits and vegetables have a number on a sticker, and all you have to do is type the number in on the screen...Waalaa!

Edit: nevermind I see I am not the only diabolical self checkout genius.

One thing about the self checkout is that it doesn't save you time if you're buying beer or wine, because the machine will stop and call over someone to check your ID which, if there's nobody nearby available to help can slow you down significantly.

In our local stores, most of the checkouts have kids working them anyway, so they have to call for the supervisor anyway.

My Pet peeves are the retards who are standing in line for 20 minutes then take another 5 minutes to get their damn wallet out. today while in line at Tim hortons for a coffee I watched one tardbag search her wallet for 5 minutes for exact change after she was chatting away for 15 minutes in line. jesus people you know you will eventually need to pay, is it so hard to have your wallet out?

I have no problem scanning produce when I'm shopping. I know the alphabet and can navigate the menus with ease. Its a piece of cake for me.

Three pages in and finally somebody hits the nail on the head:

DO NOT BUY BOOZE AT SELF CHECK OUT!

I do not care how old you look or how much of a hurry you are in or how cool you think you are. You are a complete moron for getting your case of Coors Light and walking up to self check out. Most of the people working the self check out lanes aren't even old enough to run your ID. After waiting 5 minutes for a supervisor to show up and OK your purchase that it would take a normal human to do in 10 seconds I'll be pretty irate. Have a little common sense!

Side story. I was at a self check out the other day and there was an old lady in the lane next to me. She was buying some sort of cold medicine. I heard her go to pay only to have the machine say, "Your order contains an age restricted item."

Her response to the machine, "No I don't!". She was alone.

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but most fruits and vegetables have a number on a sticker, and all you have to do is type the number in on the screen...Waalaa!

Edit: nevermind I see I am not the only diabolical self checkout genius.

:pfft:

Archived