Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

salon/Pentagon asks troops how gross it would be to shower with a gay person

twa

I showered with a gay dude every weekday for 9 months (after anatomy class in med school - had to get the death-stink off). There was never an issue. He got in the shower, shampooed, soaped up, rinsed off, got out, and went about his business. It was no different than any locker room I've been in. Totally professional. I really don't get whats so awful or scary about it. I know our troops deal with much bigger challenges than showering with a gay guy, and I know they could handle it if they were told that it was the new policy.

I showered with a gay dude every weekday for 9 months (after anatomy class in med school - had to get the death-stink off). There was never an issue. He got in the shower, shampooed, soaped up, rinsed off, got out, and went about his business. It was no different than any locker room I've been in. Totally professional. I really don't get whats so awful or scary about it. I know our troops deal with much bigger challenges than showering with a gay guy, and I know they could handle it if they were told that it was the new policy.

Exactly.

These are people. They're the same as you and I except they like other dudes. That's it. They're not more sexually aggressive or more likely to be violent. There's one thing that defines someone who is homosexual: They like the same sex.

Thing is, even if we allow gays to serve openly that will still be a prosecutable offense, won't it? Unless you are saying that the military encourages men to grope women and the women have no recourse.

Thank you. People seem to be missing that.

And for the record, guys, the issue is NOT whether or not anyone is attracted to anyone else and it's not whether or not someone grabs someone else's "package" lol...those two points are one million percent irrelevant (or should be).

It's basically just a matter of how people generally feel when doing something as vulnerable as stripping naked and standing in front of other people. WHO those other people are tends to matter (obviously)...If I felt uncomfortable showering in an open stall with a female or gay male, it would have zero to do with thinking they find me attractive or might "do something". And I would hazard a guess that there are straight women who would feel equally uncomfortable showering with a gay male in that situation...it's obvious he won't find her sexually attractive and he ain't gonna grab nothing. But who here would claim she has no reason whatsoever to feel uncomfortable?

It's basically just a matter of how people generally feel when doing something as vulnerable as stripping naked and standing in front of other people.

This comment kind of reminds me of the Abu Ghraib scandal. I do wonder how our soldiers can hold up to torture or the stress of combat if they can't even handle the pressure of being next to someone who may find them attractive.

This comment kind of reminds me of the Abu Ghraib scandal. I do wonder how our soldiers can hold up to torture or the stress of combat if they can't even handle the pressure of being next to someone who may find them attractive.

Again lol :ols:...it has zero to do with "someone finding them attractive".

And speaking of Abu Ghraib, one of the torture methods was having the men stand naked in front of female servicewomen...

Yup. Which is why it came to mind. I found that to be a strange method of torture. Would that break you?

Again, I think our soldiers ought to be hearty enough to strip in front of anyone without flinching or emotionally wilting. (I'm being tongue and cheek, but also serious)

In all seriousness, are you attracted to every girl? I'm doubting it.

I am attracted to the attractive girls.

twa never explained what the "Shower test" meant.

His test was to put gay men in the shower with straight men and then ask the straight men if they were uncomfortable...instead of asking a hypothetical question about how comfortable they would be in the situation. It was a joke.

Also, a lot of subsequent posts to this one have talked about it.

How do you know what was going to be talked about in the posts following yours? Spooky.

twa never explained what the "Shower test" meant. Also, a lot of subsequent posts to this one have talked about it.

Or it sounds like guys can shower next to other guys because it's not that big of a deal. Should the gay guys be showering with the girls? According to your logic, that should be fine, right?

Actually you would need to pair a gay male with gay female w/o exceeding the pairs to avoid the sexual attraction issue on any side,but then some Bi one would sneak in and screw up the equilibrium :ols:

The shower test was simply a suggestion to eliminate guesswork as far as a hypothetical such as the first question I listed from the survey.

I'm surprised your 400 level classes didn't help with that concept;)

Yup. Which is why it came to mind. I found that to be a strange method of torture. Would that break you?

Again, I think our soldiers ought to be hearty enough to strip in front of anyone without flinching or emotionally wilting. (I'm being tongue and cheek, but also serious)

It wouldn't break me, but obviously it does break some (or helps in the process of breaking them, anyway). It's also obviously their mindset and beliefs, religious and otherwise, that get played on in that situation.

Anyway, I've always wondered if we'd shake our head in disappointment if a servicewoman said she didn't want to shower with a male serviceman. Woiuld we be more understanding? If so, why? Is there a significant difference? Shouldn't she be able to withstand taking a 10 minute shower with a male nearby without freaking out? I also wondered, what if the servicewoman were a lesbian and the serviceman was a gay male? If both claimed to feel uncomfortable showering together, would we scratch our collective heads and wonder why? CAN that shower scene from "Starship Troopers" ever really be a reality outside of a few nudist camps? lol :ols:...

You were arguing for unisex showers, right? ;)

I'm not really opposed to it. I believe we all have the power of self-restraint and control and I further believe it is an even more necessary quality to hone in the military. I think the most difficult thing about a unisex shower would be how the male soldiers would stand up to all the giggling and pointing mockery. ;)

I believe the fear of nudity is a leftover from our puritan roots. Semi-related story. I remember the first time I took a life model class in art school. When the model came out, I was at first a little embarrassed and a little turned on, but after a few minutes she ceased to be a person and just became line, contour, shape and shadow. Painting her wasn't a sexual experience.

uhhh since when is the military in the habit of polling the infantry regarding policy changes? this is ridiculous.

I would agree ,this survey bs is simply the touchy/feely liberal influence in our society being manifested.

By God in my day we told em what they were gonna do and they liked it or else :soapbox:

I believe the fear of nudity is a leftover from our puritan roots. Semi-related story. I remember the first time I took a life model class in art school. When the model came out, I was at first a little embarrassed and a little turned on, but after a few minutes she ceased to be a person and just became line, contour, shape and shadow. Painting her wasn't a sexual experience.

I was an art major and I took several figure drawing and figure painting classes. If you were a little turned in your classes, you had a very different pool of models than we had. :ols:

To the people that think this is "no big deal" you are being pretty narrow minded in my opinion. You think gays should be allowed to serve openly(so do I) and so think it is just going to happen with no consequence.

The President is being pretty reasonable and responsible in this process if you ask me. Even if some of his strongest supporters think it is no big deal I am glad to know that he is ignoring them.

I was an art major and I took several figure drawing and figure painting classes. If you were a little turned in your classes, you had a very different pool of models than we had. :ols:

For the most part, you are correct sir. There were on occasion a few real lookers. For me, the most awkward part of the whole deal was when the models would robe up and walk around and survey how they were depicted.

I would be really interested in seeing what % of soldiers supported racial integration. I honestly have no idea. Would be an interesting number to see.
War has never been racially divided. Even in the civil war, blacks fought (mostly with the south). In fact, during the Vietnam war, black men were getting "randomly" selected more frequently than whites.

The shower test was simply a suggestion to eliminate guesswork as far as a hypothetical such as the first question I listed from the survey.

Actually, I've had the urge (No, not that urge) for some time to propose the following shower test:

There's a simple way to tell is the people you're showering with are gay.

It's a well known fact that any gay person showering with out straight service men will become erect at the sight of our gorgeous service people.

If the person next to you becomes erect, then he's gay. If he doesn't, then he isn't.

Therefore, when showering, you must be constantly on the lookout for the packages of the other people in the shower, so that you can tell if they become erect, and can complain about it. You should develop the habit of checking out the other people in the shower frequently, so that you can tell which ones are gay.

(If anyone asks why you're checking out the genitals of the other people in the shower, tell them it's because you're looking for a gay one.)

Archived