Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

salon/Pentagon asks troops how gross it would be to shower with a gay person

twa

Survey says?:silly:

http://www.salon.com/news/us_military/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2010/07/09/dadt_survey

The Pentagon is surveying 400,000 active troops on how they would handle a potential repeal of "don't ask, don't tell." It is kind of a mess.

Some gay rights groups are concerned that the gay and lesbian service members could inadvertently out themselves by filling it out. The survey is sorta-mostly anonymous, but the Defense Department will not provide immunity to anyone outed. On the other hand, if LGBT service members don't fill it out, the results could be weighted in favor of semi-anonymous homophobia.:ols:

As for the content of the survey? Well, it's got questions like this:

"If Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell is repealed and you are assigned to bathroom facilities with an open bay shower that someone you believe to be a gay or lesbian Service member also used, which are you most likely to do? Mark 1."

[...]

“Take no action;

“Use the shower at a different time than the Service member I thought to be gay or lesbian;

“Discuss how we expect each other to behave and conduct ourselves;

“Talk to a chaplain, mentor, or leader about how to handle the situation;

“Talk to a leader to see if I had other options;

“Something else;

“Don't know.”

entire survey here

http://www.servicemembersunited.org/survey

. Guessing is really skewing the survey.

Aren't they guessing anyway unless they already have?

Perhaps a trial shower with a acknowledged one would be beneficial to eliminate guessing:)

Just out of curiosity...

Would a straight male saying he'd feel uncomfortable showering in a "open stall" shower with a gay male be the same as or worse than a straight woman saying she'd feel uncomfortable showering with a straight male?

What about a straight female saying she'd feel uncomfortable showering next to a gay male? Or a gay female saying she'd feel uncomfortable showering next to a gay male?

Or what about a gay male saying he'd be uncomfortable showering next to another gay male?

Ok, I'm dizzy now lol...

I'm wondering when the military and society in general is going to end the practice of seperating males and females for things like going to the bathroom and public showering. After all, not everyone is going to be attracted to someone else and the chance of a guy groping a woman's naughty bits and/or a woman groping a guy's junk is low. So there really isn't a threat...

I can't find anyone else talking about sexual assault in this thread.

Yeah, I'm not sure why sexual assault would need to be mentioned in this conversation. I mean, if we're really gonna say "As long as you don't assault anyone in the shower everything's cool", then sign me up to shower with the Redskins cheerleaders lol :D...I promise to keep my hands to myself.

Oh, you know what I mean! :mad:

I'm guessing that you're a straight guy.

Are you attracted to every girl? Do you hit on every girl? Do you sexually assault every girl?

It kind of sounds like you're saying that women shouldn't have any reason to not want to shower with straight men unless they're sexually assaulted.

I'm wondering when the military and society in general is going to end the practice of seperating males and females for things like going to the bathroom and public showering. After all, not everyone is going to be attracted to someone else and the chance of a guy groping a woman's naughty bits and/or a woman groping a guy's junk is low. So there really isn't a threat...

In Alley McBeal they had a unisex bathroom at the workplace...in France I used a (somewhat) unisex public bathroom...men went to the left and women went to the right after you entered the bathroom door. The only thing keeping dozens of anonymous females from seeing my noodle while standing at the urinal was a divider that was a foot and a half wide lol :yes:...Didn't really seem a big deal, to be honest.

In Alley McBeal they had a unisex bathroom at the workplace...in France I used a (somewhat) unisex public bathroom...men went to the left and women went to the right after you entered the bathroom door. The only thing keeping dozens of anonymous females from seeing my noodle while standing at the urinal was a divider that was a foot and a half wide lol :yes:...Didn't really seem a big deal, to be honest.

Did they have unisex showers too?

like in starship troopers

What kind of question is that? I'm guessing you're not a straight guy. :D

In all seriousness, are you attracted to every girl? I'm doubting it.

I can't find anyone else talking about sexual assault in this thread.

twa never explained what the "Shower test" meant. Also, a lot of subsequent posts to this one have talked about it.

It kind of sounds like you're saying that women shouldn't have any reason to not want to shower with straight men unless they're sexually assaulted.

Or it sounds like guys can shower next to other guys because it's not that big of a deal. Should the gay guys be showering with the girls? According to your logic, that should be fine, right?

Thing is, even if we allow gays to serve openly that will still be a prosecutable offense, won't it? Unless you are saying that the military encourages men to grope women and the women have no recourse.

Archived