Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: What is the 2nd most popular pro sport in the US?

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yesterday at the end of Around the Horn, Jay Marrioti was saying that the NBA has now surpassed MLB as the #2 sport in country. I don't agree with him at all. I still think baseball is more popular.

So what do you guys think? Has the NBA passed MLB as the #2 sport?

Not a chance...if anything, baseball is going up right now since they started cleaning up their act with the steroids, etc. I think the NBA is actually on a downward trend, and is probably #4 behind baseball and college football.

This new Super Trio in Miami will raise some interest, but if they don't succeed, I think the NBA will take awhile to recover. Don't forget, the NBA is also staring a lockout in the face.

I think the better debate is whether baseball or college football is #2.

I'd say NHL has a better shot than NBA right now. I think there was a blog on Yahoo! Puck Daddy that showed viewership for the NHL playoffs was much higher than NBA.

See I can believe that. The NBA is way too predictable. You want to know what teams have won a title over the last 30 years? Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Heat, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets. That's pretty bad. People say there is no parity in baseball, but the NBA is much worse.

We're all Yankees because we're all Americans and an American by definition is a Yankee (according to British)

Don't believe me?

the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

Also can't find it but the newspaper headline "Damn Yankees" after USA went insane in the Winter Olympics hockey tournament

I voted MLB, but...

The 2nd most popular sport is college football, which should be considered a minor league. Regular season CFB games last fall out drew the Celtics Lakers finals...if you can't get better ratings with your two most popular teams, you are in trouble.

I think that right now, MLB and NBA are pretty close, but basketball is going to take a big dip in 2011 with the lock out. MLB stands to put some considerable distance between the two leagues.

I think a more interesting discussion is if any "third tier" sport stands to make a run at #2 in the next decade. I think a compelling case can be made for soccer, and I think if you look even further out, I would not be surprised if MLL at least competed with NHL in 2025.

Definitely baseball. I love the NBA but the fact is that regular season games mean nothing because half the league makes the playoffs. Even with a 162 game season it always comes down to a game or two for the playoff births in MLB so the regular season is much more compelling. NBA playoffs are amazing but MLB is more engrossing from start to finish.

Hopefully with the impending NBA lockout the NHL can get its act together and make people realize its sport has much more parity, physicality and is far more exciting.

The best theing the NHL could do is contract. I know that is not a popular word, but it just really isn't going to work in that many places south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

What would be awesome would be to have a Canadian division and an American division. More teams in Canada, less teams in Tampa, Phoenix, and Nashville.

Well in the country, the answer is MLB.

But in Washington,DC, it is NBA without a doubt. First of all DC is a basketball city,so by default the NBA is behind the Redskins. And plus I very rarely here people say, 'you see that Nats game last night?' Not saying that the Nats aren't popular, it's just that DC really doesn't follow baseball.

To summarize, MLB is the 2nd best in the country, but NBA is the second best in my city.

But in Washington,DC, it is NBA without a doubt. First of all DC is a basketball city,so by default the NBA is behind the Redskins. And plus I very rarely here people say, 'you see that Nats game last night?' Not saying that the Nats aren't popular, it's just that DC really doesn't follow baseball.

To summarize, MLB is the 2nd best in the country, but NBA is the second best in my city.

I dunno about that. I think the Caps are the #2 right now in DC.

Do you really hear random people asking how was the Wizards game last night? lol

In DC right now it's Redskins, Caps, everyone else

I dunno about that. I think the Caps are the #2 right now in DC.

What he said

Wizards are basically irrelevant the last 2 years, I haven't heard a peep about them. It is Redskins, Caps, and Nats (and only because of Strasburg)

Wizards and Mystics and United dead last in relevance

Archived