Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: What is the 2nd most popular pro sport in the US?

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Major Fail...

The Wizards would easily get more attention if the Caps and Wizards was on the same level in their leagues. Plus where are the hockey rinks in DC/MD/VA? Kids growing up around here know nothing about hockey.

Kids in Atlanta know nothing about hockey? Shocking, I tells ya...

The Caps have never hit the 20k+ mark

Verizon Center's capacity at hockey games is only 18,277. It's 20,173 for basketball so that's an unfair comparison. Ice sheet is larger.

I'm pretty sure the Capital Centre was one of the best home-ice advantages in the NHL in the 80's. Never heard that for the Bullets.

Also I'm sure you've been to Wizards games. Alot of the seats aren't actual Wizards fans but people who just want something to do on a weekend night. Even with the bandwagon piling up there are more diehard fans at Capitals games (those in the lower level with season tix since the Stanley Cup Finals days and before) I'd be willing to bet.

Major Fail...

The Wizards would easily get more attention if the Caps and Wizards was on the same level in their leagues. Plus where are the hockey rinks in DC/MD/VA? Kids growing up around here know nothing about hockey.

Wow, in Atlanta, what a surprise...

Also, you don't even live here and you're telling us we are clueless...when the Wiz made the playoffs for four years the amount of Wizards jerseys in the D.C. area weren't even close to the amount of Capitals apparel I see up in college right now. No joke. They had Arenas. They had a superstar who was marketed on ESPN far more than Ovechkin. Not even close to the amount of Ovechkin jerseys you see now. In D.C. proper, I'll agree because let's be real, the demographics support basketball popularity over hockey but as far as the area goes, the Capitals are a solid #2 behind the Redskins.

Really, where are the rinks? Ice rinks cost alot more than basketball gyms and that has no bearing on the popularity of the pro teams. There are probably more gyms in Detroit but the Red Wings are without question more popular in Detroit than the Pistons even with their recent NBA Championship (championships to the Red Wings are like nothing).

I voted MLB, but...

The 2nd most popular sport is college football, which should be considered a minor league. Regular season CFB games last fall out drew the Celtics Lakers finals...if you can't get better ratings with your two most popular teams, you are in trouble.

That would've been my vote too.

The SEC has regular season games that get higher ratings than most World Series games.

Verizon Center's capacity at hockey games is only 18,277. It's 20,173 for basketball so that's an unfair comparison. Ice sheet is larger.

I'm pretty sure the Capital Centre was one of the best home-ice advantages in the NHL in the 80's. Never heard that for the Bullets.

Also I'm sure you've been to Wizards games. Alot of the seats aren't actual Wizards fans but people who just want something to do on a weekend night. Even with the bandwagon piling up there are more diehard fans at Capitals games (those in the lower level with season tix since the Stanley Cup Finals days and before) I'd be willing to bet.

Ah poop you're right about the size difference. Totally forgot about that. Still, I mean we're talking about an era in the 80's when the Bullets stunk but the Capitals were good. I'm sure the attendance and fan support for the Bullets in the 70's was even better, especially since they actually delivered a championship.

And yeah, right now Wizards games are corporate wine and diners but from 2005-2008 we had a legitimate home court advantage most nights. I went to every game in the Bulls series and I went to every game in the first series vs. the Cavaliers and Game 3 in the third Cavaliers series. Each and every time, Verizon Center was LOUD and rocking.

Not on the same level as the Capitals but that's because Ted Leonsis is a far superior promoter than Abe Pollin. Leonsis has created a terrific atmosphere for the Capitals which I'm sure he will do for the Wizards as well.

Major Fail...

Also that hockey Stanley Cup ratings need a asterisk next to it, because i'm sure it includes Canada since you can't even find a high profile NHL game on a regular channel. MLB more popular than the NBA??? Was baseball more popular than basketball in your high school? college? People complain about the NBA being predictable, but if you are a fan of a team that sucks then in the MLB then it is a season well done when the Yankees lose. Oh and Nationals is not popular...Strasburg is, not the Nationals.

Basically as other people said the situation in Atlanta is not the same as the situation in Washington

As a life-long DC-area resident for 25 years I can tell you positively that this area cares about the Caps more than the Wizards, at least for the last 10 years. In ATL it may be different, but we don't have the Thrashers here. We have a perennial playoff and potential championship contending hockey team. That's going to get more attention than a mediocre basketball team.

If the Caps current incarnation played well, and the Wizards played well at the same time, then you'd be crazy to say that the Wizards would get more attention, considering the Capitals have been doing this for a period of time now in this city

The NBA Finals has only ONCE ever beat the World Series in ratings and that was the 1998 Finals which for obvious reaosn, pulled in absurd numbers of viewers averaging 32 million a night and culminating in 72 million watching Game 6. Once. MLB > NBA in popularity.

Thats a very apt comparison, especially considering the teams really overlap well. I will still stand by it that there is one team for each city, and we could go down the list of every major city in the country. In fact, that could be a fun thread of its own...
Just going through the major cities with multiple sports teams to choose from:

Washington: Redskins

New York: Yankees

Philadelphia: Eagles

Dallas: Cowboys

Boston: Red Sox

Atlanta: Braves

Miami: Dolphins

Minneapolis: Vikings

Chicago: Cubs

St. Louis: Cardinals

Detroit: Red Wings

Cleveland: Browns

Denver: Broncos

Kansas City: Chiefs

Houston: Astros?

Phoenix: Suns

Los Angeles: Lakers

San Francisco: Giants?

Seattle: Seahawks

...and maybe that really answers the question in the OP. The NFL rules the most cities, but MLB is a clear second, with the top team in some of the biggest cities, like New York, Boston, Chicago, and St. Louis. L.A. and Phoenix are the only cities I can think of where the NBA team dominates over the competition. Detroit is the only hockey town.

Wow, in Atlanta, what a surprise...

Also, you don't even live here and you're telling us we are clueless...when the Wiz made the playoffs for four years the amount of Wizards jerseys in the D.C. area weren't even close to the amount of Capitals apparel I see up in college right now. No joke. They had Arenas. They had a superstar who was marketed on ESPN far more than Ovechkin. Not even close to the amount of Ovechkin jerseys you see now. In D.C. proper, I'll agree because let's be real, the demographics support basketball popularity over hockey but as far as the area goes, the Capitals are a solid #2 behind the Redskins.

Really, where are the rinks? Ice rinks cost alot more than basketball gyms and that has no bearing on the popularity of the pro teams. There are probably more gyms in Detroit but the Red Wings are without question more popular in Detroit than the Pistons even with their recent NBA Championship (championships to the Red Wings are like nothing).

I'm from Silver Spring, MD holmes and I never seen a Capitals jersey when I was living there. I never heard anyone talk about a Capitals game when I lived there. They may wear Cap jerseys in VA, but I never seen one in Maryland or DC (well when jerseys was cool I think I remember seeing one guy wearing a Cap jersey, but he was clearly trying to be different). Jerseys are not even cool anymore, so you really can't judge by looking for people with jerseys on. ANd Ovechkin just won the MVP award so of course he is going to be popular. You are comparing the best player in the game to someone that is considered a low-tier star.

I know the Capitals is more popular than the Wizards NOW, but what I was trying to say is compare them when both is on the same level. And that is why the Red Wings is popular in Detriot, because they are the Yankees and Lakers of the NHL. What is the Capitals??? A team that is 2nd to the Penguins EVERY YEAR.

Ok, let's see. When the Wiz got 5th seed in 2004-2005 the talk of the town was big. But when the Capitals won 9 of their last 10 to get 3rd seed in 2007-2008, the talk was even bigger. 3rd and 5th seed is roughly the same. The Wiz even made the second round. Still did not compare to the Capitals explosion in 07-08.

No, when the Wiz made the playoffs, Arenas was heard of FAR more on major sports networks than Ovechkin even after winning two MVP's.

It's weird because even when the Capitals made the Stanley Cup in 1998 the talk wasn't this big but that is probably because 1998 was only 6 years after the Redskins won the Superbowl and before the horrid 2000's decade of D.C. sports took place.

It's weird because even when the Capitals made the Stanley Cup in 1998 the talk wasn't this big but that is probably because 1998 was only 6 years after the Redskins won the Superbowl and before the horrid 2000's decade of D.C. sports took place.

Ovechkin, Ovechkin, Ovechkin. That's why. I also don't think the Caps had the support from popular radio hosts, and local athletes.

Archived