Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blizzard forums will require real names

SkinInsite

Blizzard has announced on Battle.net that all official forum users will soon be required to post under their real names.

As reported on Eurogamer, this will come into effect first for the Starcraft II forums before the game's release on July 27th. The WoW forums will make the transition closer to the launch of Cataclysm. The other Battle.net forums will also make the change "with the release of the Starcraft II community site". Existing posts will remain as they are, however.

link

I wonder what's to stop people from using a name like Amanda Hugnkiss.

That's outrageous. I'd never post under my real name.

Yeah, I was considering coming back for Cataclysm, but I won't be now.

I like a lot of you guys, but my name is mine and there's a certain amount of privacy involved, especially for people with whom I don't get along.

I mean, if I ganked someone, then they could look up my name, find me on facebook, and spam the hell out of me.

This is a horrible idea.

Maybe I should post my address too? Why stop there, I could post my phone# that way, when I make Bang mad, he can call me up 50 times a day and give me the jerky boys treatment. (jk, Bang!)

I had a friend who used her real name on a dating site... some kook with only her name dropped by her house at 10:pm. Very dangerous!

I think that something needed to be done, the Blizzard forums were horrible. You couldn't have a serious conversation without a level 1 troll having something to say. In WoW it was just way too easy to make a level 1 that had no accountability to troll / flame / etc. Now the whole real first and last name is a bit discouraging to me, but I don't think its quite as big as people are saying. If you don't want people to see your real first and last names, don't post on the Blizzard forums. It's not going to be an in game change, or retroactive. You'll have to choose to post on the forums after the conversion date to have this apply to you. I'd rather them have done something like you get one forum character forever, or the first part of your email address (without the @xxx.com) be displayed, or something to that effect.

ETA:

Originally Posted by SkinInsite View Post

I wonder what's to stop people from using a name like Amanda Hugnkiss.

You can't change the name on your account once its made, so people who are really concerned and want to keep posting will be rerolling new account, for current accounts, the name that is on there when you made it is there to stay. For the people that do reroll with fake names, best hope they are never hacked, because billing will not help anyone but the person named on the account.

Archived