Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is laziness becoming socially acceptable?

Blackest Eyes

I'm not sure if society at large is becoming more lazy or more selfish? Perhaps a combo of the two?

I'm thinking more entitled.

People like the idea that someone else will clean up after them, will fix the things they mess up, and will pay the price for their actions.

People in general are ****ing *******s. I always hold the door for people, greet them when we make eye contact, etc. I get about 20% return on my greetings/holding the door.

In these parts the greeting thing is out (we are suspicious of anyone being nice, unless we've known them for a while) but a quick nod is the norm. I'd say I get about a 50% return for that. But, the thing that kills me is the number of morons who will open the door for themselves, look at you coming right up behind them, then let it slam shut right before you get there. I'm seeing a lot more of that lately.

One I hate THE MOST is DIRTY ****ING DIAPERS in the parking lot......are you really THAT ghetto that you feel you're entitled to throw your nasty diaper into the street? REALLY?

LOL!!! I lived in a neighborhood about 20 years ago where it was common to see plastic shopping bags filled with dirty diapers hanging from a chain link fence in the parking lot - it inspired my buddy to come up with a band name that he eventually used: Fecal Pinata.

Always have to associate fat people with laziness. I know plenty of skinny people who just sit around the house playing video games.

Absolutely! Parking is at a premium where I work especially the spots closer to the building. I usually just park out in the sticks and hoof it because I know the closer spots are full. On my stroll in I see the same people patrolling the parking lot just waiting for someone to leave. Some are fat, some skinny, some white, some black, so it really doesn't factor into the laziness equation. Just get out of your damn car and walk a bit. Is waiting forever to get that spot really worth the extra 50 yards you have to walk?

I think the issue the OP and others are describing is about a lack of respect, not laziness.

Because I don't think we've become lazy, but I do think that our society is growing more and more disrespectful.

Hell, spend about 10 minutes out in public nowadays. People don't even respect themselves, much less anyone else. Fat slobs with their bellies hanging down to their knees riding carts around wal mart b/c they're too fat to walk. Littering? That's a lack of respect for the environment we live in. Not putting the cart back at the grocery store? That is disrespectful to the people who work there and other shoppers.

Look at so many people's homes. Their yard looks like crap, their house needs paint... but they don't care. They don't even respect themselves or their own property, how can we expect them to respect anything? I don't get the mentality - spend several hundred thousand dollars on a home and not even take care of it.

/rant

I definitely think lack of respect and laziness overlap in many cases. You do bring up some good points as well.

Littering has always been something that drives me absolutely crazy too.

I wish that as a society there was much more peer accountability. That may cause a rise in violence though. Some people get downright nasty if they are put in their place. :saber:

YES

As is the lack of a moral compass. These days anything can be blurred to look like something other than what it is. Our society thrives on controversy and the proverbial "gray area." The difference between black and white, right and wrong, cats and dogs, are all gray areas. Nothing just is what it is anymore.

Unfortunately, I have to side with the 11 year old. Kids dehydrate a lot quicker in hot weather then adults do. This is why they say to keep the kids and the elderly out of hot weather.

Come on...

I've lived in South Florida my entire life, so I'm aware of the summer heat. Growing up, I'd be outside from about 8am to 10pm on summer days. I wasn't sitting around either. I'd be playing football, basketball, skateboarding, etc.

The solution? I walked around with a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade. I'd down a few of those a day and I was fine.

Hydration....a very simple solution :silly:

I don't and wont ever understand the need to park right up front so badly that you waste 10 minutes riding around the lot. Flat out lazy or stupid.

I did see somewhere recently where they had family parking. I was with my lady's Mom, that's family since my lady was with me too right ? I didn't park there but that stuff is a little obnoxious also.

I don't and wont ever understand the need to park right up front so badly that you waste 10 minutes riding around the lot. Flat out lazy or stupid.

I did see somewhere recently where they had family parking. I was with my lady's Mom, that's family since my lady was with me too right ? I didn't park there but that stuff is a little obnoxious also.

Not defend it, but family parking is intended for people with small children. We have two kids under 3, but never really use it. I could see the benefit though if a mom had to try to carry two kids or something.

Come on...

I've lived in South Florida my entire life, so I'm aware of the summer heat. Growing up, I'd be outside from about 8am to 10pm on summer days. I wasn't sitting around either. I'd be playing football, basketball, skateboarding, etc.

The solution? I walked around with a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade. I'd down a few of those a day and I was fine.

Hydration....a very simple solution :silly:

My childhood was the same way (DC area though). Granted, just because it's how we did it doesn't make it right. There is a happy medium though. You could play outside in 2-hour intervals and take breaks to cool off/hydrate.

Overall, I agree with you. I'm just saying that, as a parent, I will have reservations throwing my kids in the yard for 12 hours in 100 degree heat.

My childhood was the same way (DC area though). Granted, just because it's how we did it doesn't make it right. There is a happy medium though. You could play outside in 2-hour intervals and take breaks to cool off/hydrate.

Overall, I agree with you. I'm just saying that, as a parent, I will have reservations throwing my kids in the yard for 12 hours in 100 degree heat.

I agree.

There needs to be parental discretion involved, and even mandated "water breaks" in this kind of weather.

....this reminds me of another issue of laziness/irresponsibility that I HATE: parents who let their kids balloon up. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing an obese kid or a kid half my age that weighs more than me. The more and more I see, the more and more I hate this generation of parenting.

I agree.

There needs to be parental discretion involved, and even mandated "water breaks" in this kind of weather.

....this reminds me of another issue of laziness/irresponsibility that I HATE: parents who let their kids balloon up. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing an obese kid or a kid half my age that weighs more than me. The more and more I see, the more and more I hate this generation of parenting.

Yes, that is bothersome. You have to walk a fine line with parenting. You can over-analyze things when it comes to diet, but you can also under-analyze things and give your kids crap to eat every day.

Again, you have to strike a good middle ground. It would be way too challenging to give your kids organic everything. And, even if that wasn't challenging, I'm not really sure it's worth it. But, it doesn't hurt to make sure your kids are eating a balanced meal, getting plenty of water and active time, and not snacking all the time.

I am constantly amused when my 12 year old niece gets mad at me for making her go outside to the park instead of playing wii or Ds. I also coach kids sports and I outright laugh when parents tell me im too hard on their kid because I expect them to try and not fake injuries when they get tired.

Growing up I lived on a ranch in the middle of nowhere (google Paddle Prairie Metis settlement). we had no power or running water until I was around 10 years old. we had no Phone until I was 8.

My role as the smallest was to get water from the river or firewood from the bin. I also fed the chickens and the dogs. when I got older I fed the cows and horses and pigs and this was before I went to school in the morning.

I am not whining, that was just the way life was. If I wanted to read a book I had to hide outside somewhere or wait for a rainy day. There was no such thing as even being inside aside from meal times.

I was lucky though, my Dad grew up in a pretty harsh household so he wouldnt tolerate some of my stepmothers garbage, she often would make different things for her and Merv at mealtimes, when she did that Merv would simply share his with the kids without saying anything. The Stepmonster would also find make work projects for us in the summer but often when Merv was home he would just grab his rifle and take us down to the river to swim.

We were pretty far north but when I was a kid the temp used to get up in the 30's in the summer so that was a good time.

I was thinking of making a thread about this tbh...

I have a theory about kids, even bad kids need structure, the best athletes I have known were almost always "bad kids" but their parents put them in every sport available , this did two things, it tired them out so they stayed out of trouble and it developed them athletically. they learned skills and body control.

Personally I played a ridiculous number of sports, when I was sent away to boarding school for junior high in the city for grade 7 (I was 12), the kids there were like small children to me, I was bigger, stronger, tougher, faster and had worlds more endurance than kids 2-3 grades ahead of me. Some of that was genetics obviously but most of it was because while my peers were playing atari I was active. I think it made a huge difference in my life.

nothing funnier than reading a bunch of yankees gripe about summer heat! yall are laughable.... when i was growing up you spent your whole day outside. coming in wasnt an option.... because mom didnt allow it and you didnt want to be inside anyway. the atari was for evening time.

yall talk about dehydration ..... ever heard of a garden hose? or are you too uptight to drink from one?

stop making excuses for your lazy fat slob kids and make them be kids. get their asses out the door to go play kick ball or whiffle ball.

as we sit here my cousin who is 15 hasnt even been outside that i know of in about 2 weeks. sitting on his computer playing games.

a couple of weeks back i made him go outside ..... MADE him..... 45 minutes later i find his bike <which im surprised he even knows how to ride> parked in front of his buddies house..... they were inside..... on the computer!

its pathetic and all these excuses about the heat and dehydration are what is making this country fat and weak!

JK, I don't know who you're referring too, but it sounds like everyone is agreeing with your point. But no, I'm not going to forbid my 2 young kids from coming inside for a glass of water every now and then. Sorry, I guess I'm a lazy, fat, weak parent.

there are several posts from people crying about the heat and why they dont expect their kids to go out in the summer.

i never said that you shouldnt let them in for a drink..... im saying dont keep them in because it is hot outside.

there are several posts from people crying about the heat and why they dont expect their kids to go out in the summer.

i never said that you shouldnt let them in for a drink..... im saying dont keep them in because it is hot outside.

Cool...we agree then. I must have missed the people that said they wouldn't let their kids outside in the heat.

what saddens me is how we coddle children nowadays, when I was younger and rolled an ankle I sucked it up and kept playing, if I fell off my bike I got back on. One time I got bucked off a pretty mean horse and when my dad found out that I hadnt gotten back on him he took me outside, saddled it up again and watched me get back on it and ride it until it stopped bucking.

a few weeks ago I had a youth basketball game, the kids were age 13-16. One of the kids got stuffed hard and hit the ground, he immediately had a pride injury with a side of fake ankle injury, I checked him over, no swelling, no bruising and so did the trainer, I calmly and quietly,told him that life will be filled with such moments and that he had to choose if he wanted to be a guy who got back up when things were tough or if he was going to be a guy who folded and gives up. (we were losing by 10 points at the time). He started crying and went and sat on the edge of the bench. I actually felt bad and thought maybe he was actually hurt as he limped to the bench. however we somehow came back and won and he was one of the first kids running onto the court, afterwards he was also dancing around with some of his buddies. anyway, I would have probably forgotten it but afterwards his mother accosted me and started yelling at me for making her son cry in front of his friends. I told her that her son had faked an injury and that he started crying because he knew I knew. I told her that if she wanted him to change teams they were welcome to do so.

I remember playing a game in Little League, I was catching and got hit on the toe with a foul ball. Got up and shook it off. Didn't think much of it the rest of the game. When I got home I took my sock off and my big toe was covered in blood and my toe nail was basically just hanging on by a thread. I thought it was pretty bad ass that I played most of the game with a messed up toe. Most kids now would've had to be carried off on a stretcher lol, hell even some pro athletes would too

Always have to associate fat people with laziness. I know plenty of skinny people who just sit around the house playing video games.

A lot of the time, being overweight is a symptom of laziness. It takes a lot of work to have the discipline to keep yourself in shape. It's much easier to just keep buying bigger clothes and write it off as getting older or a "disease" or whatever when you know it's really just an excuse because you're too lazy to put forth the effort.

With that being said, you do have a point that lazy people come in all shapes and sizes. I do know some very driven hard working large people as well so it was unfair of me to generalize like that.

A lot of the time, being overweight is a symptom of laziness. It takes a lot of work to have the discipline to keep yourself in shape. It's much easier to just keep buying bigger clothes and write it off as getting older or a "disease" or whatever when you know it's really just an excuse because you're too lazy to put forth the effort.

With that being said, you do have a point that lazy people come in all shapes and sizes. I do know some very driven hard working large people as well so it was unfair of me to generalize like that.

Point taken. I admit, I was a little offended because I've battled weight issues my entire like. I lose it and gain it. It's a struggle. And I was taken aback by your comment because I drive to work everyday and see the same "skinny/in shape" people sitting on the porch everyday that I personally know doesn't work.

I remember playing a game in Little League, I was catching and got hit on the toe with a foul ball. Got up and shook it off. Didn't think much of it the rest of the game. When I got home I took my sock off and my big toe was covered in blood and my toe nail was basically just hanging on by a thread. I thought it was pretty bad ass that I played most of the game with a messed up toe. Most kids now would've had to be carried off on a stretcher lol, hell even some pro athletes would too

egg friggin zactly, and now some nosy nora would say your parents abused you for not rushing you to the hospital. Kids are wussier nowadays just like we were wussier than our elders. lol.

Point taken. I admit, I was a little offended because I've battled weight issues my entire like. I lose it and gain it. It's a struggle. And I was taken aback by your comment because I drive to work everyday and see the same "skinny/in shape" people sitting on the porch everyday that I personally know doesn't work.

I think he's saying you should be jogging to work!

;)

Only kidding, of course.

Archived