Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is laziness becoming socially acceptable?

Blackest Eyes

My 11 year old half brother is in town for the summer, and I've never seen such laziness. I tell him to go out and play and he's like "it's too hot". He just sits around on the PC/TV/Wii all day. I took him out to teach him to play some football today, and after less than 10 mins he purposely missed the pass and let it roll down the street so he could head inside. He said it's too hot to be outside.

I was outside from the time I got up until bedtime during the summer when I was his age. I wasn't even allowed in the house unless I was sick.

Unfortunately, I have to side with the 11 year old. Kids dehydrate a lot quicker in hot weather then adults do. This is why they say to keep the kids and the elderly out of hot weather.

by not returning my cart or putting things back where i got them..... i am only being a good American. i am creating a job. if i do it they dont have to pay someone to collect these things and return them to proper place.

and before you gimme the "it reflects in the cost" speech..... i say BS because they can only charge what the market will bear and they dont lower prices when they "downsize"

:ols: Not sure if you are kidding or not...but if you aren't...:evilg:

As far as the cart goes, why is it so difficult to take a second to return the cart? Usually there are plenty of places to return carts and they are usually not terribly inconvenient to get to. Plus, you get to ram carts together (sort of), so what is there to dislike about that?! :D Sure, there are folks that are out to assist people in loading items into their cars, collect carts from the cart corrals and bring them inside so customers have carts to shop with (Wegmans or Target are both good examples). But these folks cannot do their work efficiently if they are constantly having to track down missing carts.

Secondly, you are not creating a job for anyone by being lazy. Instead, you are actually creating extra work for the people that are already working. If you return products to their proper locations, employees do not have spend anymore extra time cleaning up their areas than necessary. There is a lot to do on any given day and there is a certain time frame to do it in. Also, I cannot tell you how many times I have had to lower the price of a product for a customer because a product was placed in the wrong spot by another customer. Stores lose money because of stupid things like that. There isn't always time and enough coverage to go around the department and make sure every product is in the correct location, especially when it is busy.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever worked retail and had to deal with this kind of thing?

The mindset of "I am creating a job" or "they have a person that does this" is not a good one imo. In the case of the person who collects carts, they shouldn't haveto travel around a parking lot to find missing carts. But they absolutely need to collect them because stray carts can be a huge liability for a store.

And if you are serious, what makes things like this acceptable?

Dude! WTF! Lazy people rock! Ever had a lazy boss? He stays the hell out of the way, because he knows he'll **** it up if It's up to him!

Shopping carts? You are going to take someones job away if you start putting them all away.

I don't want people to NOT be lazy. I want to have an advantage over lazy people. I'm Bi-polar and need some kind of edge!

I don't want to live in a world full of up-tight crabby people, who constantly remind me of my so-called laziness. Hey, It takes SKILL to get away with being a lackadaisical human. Only pinks and suits follow rules!!!

I don't know if laziness is the term, I think a lot of people lack a feeling of civic responsibility. I'm talking about doing small things to keep places in a city looking nice or neat and orderly. Shopping carts are one thing- I always make it a point to return the cart to the front or a cart corral and stack it neatly with another cart if possible. It literally takes another 30 seconds of my day and almost zero effort to stack them neat, orderly, and help out the poor kid who is working parcel pickup and walking around the parking lot in 102 degree heat stacking carts that people have left all over the place for 7.50 per hour. I watch people all the time either leave the cart behind somebody else's car, or push it 80% of the way to its destination and then just let it roll in the general direction of the cart corral.

These things individually don't mean a whole lot. In the face of much worse problems in the world, not returning shopping carts neatly, littering a little bit, not putting things back where you found them in a store, making a mess or contributing to disorganization are all fairly trivial matters. That doesn't mean that they should be viewed as okay things to do just because one is not likely to kill somebody if they don't put a shopping cart back.

Keeping things nice in public, whether they are things you own and care about or not is a very basic concept. I wouldn't want a bunch of ******* customers messing up my shopping cart situation if I owned or managed a grocery store, so why would I feel alright doing it to somebody else?

I suppose many people don't think that way, and simply don't care about anybody else. It is however a human character trait we have had forever. I just wish sometimes people in general seemed to be making more of an effort to use their superior brains to overcome such traits rather than fully embrace them with a smile, writhing in perpetual ignorance.

People in general are ****ing *******s. I always hold the door for people, greet them when we make eye contact, etc. I get about 20% return on my greetings/holding the door.

One I hate THE MOST is DIRTY ****ING DIAPERS in the parking lot......are you really THAT ghetto that you feel you're entitled to throw your nasty diaper into the street? REALLY?

My 11 year old half brother is in town for the summer, and I've never seen such laziness. I tell him to go out and play and he's like "it's too hot". He just sits around on the PC/TV/Wii all day. I took him out to teach him to play some football today, and after less than 10 mins he purposely missed the pass and let it roll down the street so he could head inside. He said it's too hot to be outside.

I was outside from the time I got up until bedtime during the summer when I was his age. I wasn't even allowed in the house unless I was sick.

In his defense it has been way too hot here to do anything for almost a week now.

All he asks is that you seek perfection and deliver. If you constantly screw up, you're gone.

All he asks for is that you strive for perfection and come through! All he wants is simple absolete perfection?

That seems like a pretty high standard... mind you, you're in the health field and I certainly don't want you making any mistakes, but still... perfection is a hard level to achieve and maintain.

All i ask is that if you miss your exit go to the next one: This stopping in the road and trying to get over or worse the ones that backup on the shoulder is just selfish.

Then again i take the beltway to work and back every day... I put most issues at selfish over lazy.

All i ask is that if you miss your exit go to the next one: This stopping in the road and trying to get over or worse the ones that backup on the shoulder is just selfish.

Then again i take the beltway to work and back every day... I put most issues at selfish over lazy.

Yes, I hate that too. People who think they can make a right from the far left lane and think that everyone is reading their mind. If you miss a turn or can't get over than turn around. Don't risk your and my life to save 3 minutes or thirty seconds.

The parking one really gets me. How can you not park straight?

First, its not that hard to begin with, then, when you know you're not in that slot, just redo it. I've seen people literally ruin a parking space by being so out of whack with the lines of their spot that you can't eek in next to them.

Shocker its mostly SUV's. There should be a rule that if you can't park your monstrosity properly you have to drive a compact. :pfft:

Oh yeah, I definitely agree.

I'm actually working for a guy now who's a total hard ass and is known for firing people left and right for being lazy and/or stupid. All he asks is that you seek perfection and deliver. If you constantly screw up, you're gone. A lot of people hate the guy (2 people have been fired in the 1 month I've been employed, one having been hired the same time as me), I love how he works. That's exactly how a boss should be, that's totally how i'm going to be someday if I'm in a management position.

I've had bosses like that before and I totally agree with you.

The parking one really gets me. How can you not park straight?

First, its not that hard to begin with, then, when you know you're not in that slot, just redo it. I've seen people literally ruin a parking space by being so out of whack with the lines of their spot that you can't eek in next to them.

Shocker its mostly SUV's. There should be a rule that if you can't park your monstrosity properly you have to drive a compact. :pfft:

I was driving an old beater for awhile and would park next to the people who parked in two slots and open my door REALLY HARD into their lovely Mercedes or Acura SUV. Whoops...

I'm not sure if society at large is becoming more lazy or more selfish? Perhaps a combo of the two?

Yeah, I'm thinking most of the things we've discussed so far fall under the category of entitlement or selfishness. Laziness is a little different, though sometimes I'm sure they overlap.

I'm finding the entitlement that I see every day to be more and more annoying. I'm sure my generation had its moments, but it seems to only get worse and worse.

People expect that everything will be taken care of for them. Whether it's someone coming behind them to pick up their cart, re-stock the shelf they just made a mess of, cleaning up their table at a fast-food restaurant, etc.

I think the issue the OP and others are describing is about a lack of respect, not laziness.

Because I don't think we've become lazy, but I do think that our society is growing more and more disrespectful.

Hell, spend about 10 minutes out in public nowadays. People don't even respect themselves, much less anyone else. Fat slobs with their bellies hanging down to their knees riding carts around wal mart b/c they're too fat to walk. Littering? That's a lack of respect for the environment we live in. Not putting the cart back at the grocery store? That is disrespectful to the people who work there and other shoppers.

Look at so many people's homes. Their yard looks like crap, their house needs paint... but they don't care. They don't even respect themselves or their own property, how can we expect them to respect anything? I don't get the mentality - spend several hundred thousand dollars on a home and not even take care of it.

/rant

How about tha fatass driving around the parking lot at the gym for 20 minutes waiting for a spot closer to the door?

Yeah...that's the extreme example of laziness, but I see that type of thing every day. As someone else mentioned earlier in this thread...someone willing to wait an extra few minutes for a spot that is no more than 15 or 20 yards closer to the door of a store. That's ridiculous and one of the few actual examples of laziness in this thread.

Everything else seems to be selfishness, lack of respect, or accountability.

What about when you open a door for someone and they are too lazy to say thank you.

Some people hold the door way too much. If a person is 20 yards away, you don't have to wait and hold the door. It's a nice thing to do, but is it that hard to open a door?

How about tha fatass driving around the parking lot at the gym for 20 minutes waiting for a spot closer to the door?

Always have to associate fat people with laziness. I know plenty of skinny people who just sit around the house playing video games.

To piggyback the holding the door thing.

Most places have TWO freaking doors. I am opening the door for someone going in or out. You can use the OTHER freakin' door instead of standing there like an idiot waiting for whomever I am holding the door for so you can pass through the open door.

Hello genius !!! Use the other door.

Some people hold the door way too much. If a person is 20 yards away, you don't have to wait and hold the door. It's a nice thing to do, but is it that hard to open a door?

I suppose, but what's wrong with seeing someone coming and taking 5 seconds out of your day to be considerate?

I don't understand why this would fall into the category of holding the door way too much. It's a nice gesture. Only in this part of the country would that be classified as some annoyance (this isn't directed at you, it's something I've noticed around here...people almost would prefer to avoid the social interaction and the courtesies that come with having the door held open for them).

Archived