Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Older Movies Everyone Knows Are Great But You Haven't Seen Them Yet Or Just Recently Saw Them

Jumbo

What the hell does that mean? Because, I liked Cuckoo's Nest, my opinion doesn't count?

Just that you haven't seen a lot of classic films. that was an impressive list of "never seen its."

Edit: lol. I see... I grabbed the wrong piece of your message when I cut it down. No, Cuckoo's Nest was a very good movie.

Just that you haven't seen a lot of classic films. that was an impressive list of "never seen its."

Actually what it does show is that I have seen roughly 2/3 of the films on that specific list of 100 from which they were culled, and some on the list I have seen parts of and decided not to finish if I thought it was not to my liking, so I didn't count them. I have seen many more that are not on that list of 100.

I guess I am with mbws. I honestly did not know what to write when coming into this thread, but his list pretty much covers it. I have seen five movies off of his list: Schindler's, Raging, Fargo, the Sound of Music, and Singin in the Rain.

This one isn't particularly old, but I just saw it last night and thought it was excellent: A Beautiful Mind (2001).

I knew someone would say Pulp Fiction. You've GOT to see it. Quite possibly the best movie of the last 20 years. I've probably watched it 20 times, and I'm someone who almost NEVER watches a movie more than once. Much of Tarantino's other work is either just ok or total crap, but Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece.

Love Pulp Fiction but Goodfellas for one is better.

The definition of "older" is interesting in this thread. I don't consider anything after 1970 "older". I guess I am showing my age.

No mention of David Lean, that I have seen. His films are among the greatest epic ever, and you cannot call yourself a film buff until you have lived them. "Bridge on the River Kwai", and "Lawrence of Arabia" are staggering pieces. I have seen each of them at least 10 times.

While I can't control how other define "older", I was mainly trying to keep it from being movies released within the last 5-10 years. But while my own movie interests and viewing spans from 1930's on, I was personally thinking of mainly 60's-early 90's as that's the time span most of the forum would be active movie-goers.

I started going to movies when I was 7 and watching them when left alone at home in a single parent household. We had an old movie channel in Anchorage so I grew up as a 60's kid and loved all that stuff but also watched (and later collected) many of the Hitch****, Bogey, Tracy-Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, Gene Kelly-Donald O'Connor-Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers, Hope & Crosby, etc flicks.

I still go to movies in the theater twice a week on the average and I tend to think more of in-theater viewing than at home, though I have a very nice HT set-up. But my list of "yet to see" stuff still surprises me. Especially when I choose to take the time and spend the money to go see something in the theater (like say "The Orphan" :silly:) that I know is half-lame rather than catch up on a classic (like the Godfather) that I've missed. :ols:

I completely "second" your movie list in terms of recommending it, and would add Dr. Zhivago to Lean's great films.

Some of the movies unseen surprised me, and that's part of the fun here I think.

mbws also gave a good "must see" list.

Also, part of my interest was in the "recently saw them" angle and whether the movie "lived up to it."

I just bought Casablanca & The African Queen. Haven't opened them yet but I will.

Man, are you in for a treat. :)

If you haven't explored the legendary Tracy/Hepburn pairings, try to fit those in your schedule. Another rmovie on my list of "previously missed" that I finally saw last week was a famous Oscar-winning film "Woman of the Year", Hepburn's first film with Tracy and it was fantastic. :)

Every time I watch one of these classic 30's-50's black and white films it reminds me of how much can be done on a modest budget (even allowing for inflation :D) with simple but effective sets and that caliber of acting, directing, photography, and lighting skills.

Every time I watch one of these classic 30's-50's black and white films it reminds me of how much can be done on a modest budget (even allowing for inflation :D) with simple but effective sets and that caliber of acting, directing, photography, and lighting skills.

I so agree with you Jumbo. Casablanca is my favorite movie of all time, and the 1931 version of Frankenstein is in my top 5 all-time. Yes it looks dated and the effects look cheesy and so forth by today's standards. But they tell a great story and even though he never says a word...Boris Karloff's performance is a classic.

Another one I saw recently: "All the Presidents men"...great movie...depsite the fact that Redford & Hoffman look NOTHING like Woodward & Burnstein. Hal Holbrook though looks a lot like Mark W. Felt depsite the fact no one knew who he was for years.

'Rope', Alfred Hitch****. Got to see part of it before an emergency pulled me away. Shot in real time. Maybe not a big deal today but this was 1948. I have seen some movies that have tried to duplicate at least part of its storyline but they just do not pull it off.

John, "Rope" was one of the films studied in one of the film classes I took many years ago and it is special. And ECU, when I was working at a high-end electronics store in Anchorage, Hoffman & Redford were up there (oddly enough) for the opening of All The President's Men, and I sold Redford a battery-powered 13" Sony color TV he wanted to use while traveling around--that was a great movie. Another great movie I'd missed until a few years ago was Hoffman in Sam Peckinpah's "Straw Dogs." That was one of those viewings where it even exceeded all the good I heard about it. The violent action sequences and all the build-up to them and character development can be seen influencing many films that followed.

John, "Rope" was one of the films studied in one of the film classes I took many years ago and it is special. And ECU, when I was working at a high-end electronics store in Anchorage, Hoffman & Redford were up there (oddly enough) for the opening of All The President's Men, and I sold Redford a battery-powered 13" Sony color TV he wanted to use while traveling around--that was a great movie. Another great movie I'd missed until a few years ago was Hoffman in Sam Peckinpah's "Straw Dogs." That was one of those viewings where it even exceeded all the good I heard about it. The violent action sequences and all the build-up to them and character development can be seen influencing many films that followed.

Man, that is a classic. Sam Peckinpah at his finest. How many places did that film get banned at anyway? By today's standards it was not over the top but he did set a bar back in, what the late '60's or early '70's?

I saw Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times. It was fantastic. I thought it would be completely irrelevant, silly, and unfunny, but I thought it was a hilarious, thoughtful, and lighthearted. It's one of my favorites. I'll probably watch more Chaplin movies now.

I just saw the first two Godfathers all the way through for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I really wasn't all that impressed. I know they basically paved the way for later mafia projects that I really liked like Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, and The Sopranos, and there's something for being first. I just didn't think it was nearly as epic as everyone else seems to.

I also just watched Wall Street for the first time the other day. Pretty good.

Strangelove is on my list of all time faves. I am a big Kubrick fan. The guy has one of the best resumes in film, IMO.

Have never seen Das Boot and should especially being mainly German and all. :ols:

Das Boot was great. has to be seen with subtitles, though. I saw it was on TV just the other day with voice-overs and I had to change the channel.

All the President's Men is great.
3rded. It also gives a great look at DC in the 70's. Upon reflection of my list, most of the films I love are period pieces that are semi-factual (either factual in story or factual to the time). Films like "Saturday Night Fever" for me are must sees, if only to get a glimpse of New York, and the U.S. in the 70's. "Taxi Driver", never did much for me, but once again it gives a great feeling of the city. For locals, "Diner" is almost the perfect documentary of life in Baltimore, it also launched the careers of many stars.

I just saw the first two Godfathers all the way through for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I really wasn't all that impressed.

I equate this somewhat to my 11 year old watching Star Wars for the first time the other night.

On intro to the movie, she laughed out loud at how pathetic the space ships looked and how dated the costumes were. While she enjoyed the story, it was far from memorable due to the advancements in film. I equate that same problem to the Godfathers. In their day, they were great.

Archived