Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VS: Are women ready to give engagement rings?

China

Are women ready to give engagement rings?

Picture this: A sunny Saturday afternoon. You're relaxing in a deck lounger, admiring your collection of floating man-toys anchored out on the river. Your girlfriend comes out of the cottage with a couple of beers.

Sweet.

Without warning, she drops to one knee, whips out a jeweller's box, looks you in the eye and says, "Will you marry me?"

Stunned, you open the box and there it is: The mangagement ring.

Last bastion of guyhood felled or a modern update on an old tradition?

You may not have heard the term in any sports bar -- yet -- but "mangagement" has been popping up on the Internet, joining "mandal and man-cation on an ever-expanding list of linguistic masculinizations," according to a recent article by Details Magazine. And it's also gaining steam. Two years ago, Britain's largest jeweller, H. Samuel, began selling the $155 Tioro, a titanium and diamond bijou designed for "allowing women to propose to their man. Worn on the ring finger of the left hand, it's then transferred to the ring finger of the right hand for the wedding and happily ever after," the company's site trills.

Elsewhere online, pages are dedicated to men's engagement rings, such as Australia's Gillett's Jewellers, which has everything from a $370 traditional gold claddagh to a $3,744 platinum and white gold band.

While Details takes the cynical view that the mangagement ring is akin to DeBeers' atrocious early 20th century "public education" campaign informing men they had to front up three months' salary for a diamond engagement ring, it doesn't come as a surprise to Sophie Absi, co-owner of The Wedding Jewellers in Ottawa.

Click on the link for the full article

Wait...

Stupid thought/question...

But this says the ring is worn on the left ring finger and transferred to the right after the wedding. Aren't wedding rings always worn on the left hand?

Yeah they take the engagement ring and move it to the other hand so the wedding ring can go on the left.

I always think that the man should get something as valuable as her ring in return, for a gift.

And yes KDawg, the ring is on the left hand, so that part is stupid.

I was hoping this was going to be about them buying their own rings. That would be an awesome trend.

Any guy who lets this happen should be required to turn in his man card.

That too.

If it happened to me the scene would play out like this:

*Women gets on a knee and proposes*

*I give blank stare*

Woman: Well?

*Thinking quickly, and outsmarting my attacker, I quickly pull her to her feet and rip the ring from her clutch. I immediately drop to a knee in a thud of manhood and ask her to marry me. She jumps with glee and excitement, the thoughts of a wedding saranading her into bliss. She says yes.

Triumphantly I stand and go back to doing whatever it was I was doing. Happy that I didn't let her defeat me...

And then the thought dawns on me...

Oh ****.

What did I just do?!

DAAAAMNNNNN YYYOOOOOUUUUU MANGAGEMENT RING! DAMN YOUUUU!!!!!*

End Scene.

Yeah they take the engagement ring and move it to the other hand so the wedding ring can go on the left.

That's stupid.

How many rings can a man wear? Sounds kinda chickish to me.

Although, it would give my left and right a little more fire power.

More than one and hes bordering on teh ghey.

Bordering? I'd say he tap danced by the line.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. But I know gay guys who would even find that to be a bit much. :ols:

i can't see too many men being like..."oh my god YES i will marry you sweetheart!"

Most men are probably gonna be like..."hold on now let me clean up the beer i just spit out all over the HDTV and try to make sense of this. So YOU'RE asking ME........."

Maybe certain gender roles are alright. My fiancee is afraid of pressuring social situations and would never have been able to go to a store, buy a ring, and propose to me without freezing up like a deer in the headlights at step 1.

It would be funny though, women buying engagement rings...I'd love to see the look on the first woman's face who bought a 500 dollar ring not a 1,500 dollar ring and her ***** whipped metrosexual boyfriend gets all in a snit because she doesn't think he's worth the expensive ring and he deserves to be treated like a prince on his special day.

Stunned, you open the box and there it is: The mangagement ring.

I totally read that as "management ring", which, I think, would be a far better term for what would actually happen in the marriage. You take the ring, get married, and she manages the rest of your life. Say "Hello" to your new GM...

That too.

If it happened to me the scene would play out like this:

Well look on the bright side, you saved your money and got her to pay for her own ring.

I totally read that as "management ring", which, I think, would be a far better term for what would actually happen in the marriage. You take the ring, get married, and she manages the rest of your life. Say "Hello" to your new GM...

Management ring was how I read this as well. In fact, I didn't notice that it wasn't management until I read your post.

I would lose all respect for a guy if I had to propose. I would never propose in the first place, but I would lose my respect for the guy in this hypothetical situation. If he can't make up his mind or doesn't have the balls, then see ya.

That's how I first read it and agree that's what it should be called.

This isn't a new trend though, back about 15 years ago, before the interwebz became so big, I remember seeing a piece on TV covering this very subject.

Personally, I don't get why people are so against it. I think it would be refreshing to hear a couple's story where she proposed.

I don't really know why people are against this...

If women want to go this route, then I wouldn't fault a guy at all for this happening to him. I think we get caught up on gender roles too seriously that sometimes both genders can seem hypocritical on issues like these. I mean, if we're going to fault a man here for being proposed to, then shouldn't we fault that same man for being a stay at home Dad while his wife works 9-5 and brings home all the money? Should we fault a man that plans a wedding with his wife and has as much input into the wedding details as his wife would? I think that gender stereotypes need to go one the back burner for issues like this.

I'd be freaked out and utterly confused if I got proposed to, I'd probably be like, "What the hell's happening? Is it April Fools?"

Although I can imagine a guy getting way too involved with the whole proposal thing, trying to setup the perfect way to do it, it ends up taking months to get the ring, to find a place, etc etc...and in the meantime the girl thinks he won't ask so she has to.

Women, is your "man" really a man when you have to do it?

We are a nation of 35 year old adolescents. I weep for the future.

androgyny is not the same thing as immature, though I do think it may not be the best thing for society if it becomes too common place.

It's especially true with the younger generation of hipsters and their ilk... it's like none of them want to wear the 'pants'

on the one hand I do think that there's a social role for specialized masculine and feminine individuals... on the other hand maybe androgynous individuals are just another specialization?

$0.02

Archived