Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Lost" Series Finale/ Prediction Thread

HRNY4ZRNY

I didn't watch the Wire but, for me, Lost blows the Sopranos out of the water. That show peaked in the first couple of seasons and, after the russian in the woods/snow angle was killed off for no apparent reason, it never regained it's greatness.

LOL I still think Sopranos edges slightly ahead - although the show didn't finish with the same greatness that it started with. I was always entertained though.

However, considering the amount of unanswered and seemingly pointless details that LOST provided - I can't exactly get too upset with the missing Russian.

Wasn't a big fan of season 6 in general save a couple of really good episodes. The finale was great.

Great ending.

if the sideways world was created by the losties to meet up before they move on, then why create a reality where they all don't have their memories? why would desmond create a reality where he wasnt with penny for 99.9% of his life?
I doubt their souls or whatever consciously created this alternate reality.

They weren't ready to move on and were pulled to each other. So they were reborn in an alternate reality.

then, where's the sense of danger in everything we've seen on the show if, no matter what, everyone just gets to be together when they die?
I don't think the point was to explain what happens in the afterlife.

LOL I still think Sopranos edges slightly ahead - although the show didn't finish with the same greatness that it started with. I was always entertained though.

However, considering the amount of unanswered and seemingly pointless details that LOST provided - I can't exactly get too upset with the missing Russian.

We'll never settle it, but to me the season with the FBI in the basement/Russian mafia scene was epic...and both story lines were summarily discarded immediately.

After that, the Sopranos didn't have direction. It didn't build to a culmination until they forced one into the final season in a rushed mafia war that should have started seasons earlier.

That was my take at least...but to each his own.

Personally, I've never been so entertained by a TV show as I was last night.

That's fine.

I'm surprised that people would feel this way. The show kept me intrigued for six seasons and is definitely in my top 5 as far as dramas - I just feel the writing was way too sloppy at points and it became obvious the writers were making too much stuff up as they went along.

I plan on re-watching the entire series on blue ray with my fiance who hasn't seen it. I've already started watching the first season and it's amazing how much things are tied together. If they were winging it, they definitely did a very good job of researching past episodes to tie things together as they went.

There are unanswered questions, but as an artist myself... I really respect what the writers did. They allow their viewers to come to their own conclusions and form their own opinions, to think and continue to have theories well after the show is over.

if the sideways world was created by the losties to meet up before they move on, then why create a reality where they all don't have their memories? why would desmond create a reality where he wasnt with penny for 99.9% of his life?

My take on the inequity of the sideways world/limbo/purgatory was that the degree of happyness that each character had in this holding pattern was due to their actions in the real world.

Hurley might have been the most "well-off" in the sideways world, and there is no doubt that he was simply a great guy on the island and during his life as a whole.

By contrast, Ben and Sayid each had moments where the scale tipped to the dark side, and therefore had "tougher" and less fulfilled lives in the sideways world. Ben ultimately chose not to "move on" as I believe that he had more work/atonement to do in the sideways world - reconsiling his dark past by being the husband and father he should have been during his real life.

I got a similar take from Eloise, who begged Desmond not to take her son, as she had not fully made up for killing Daniel in the real world. She still needed time make up for her mistakes. In her words, she wasn't "ready yet."

All the characters that went on with Christian were ready and their "island enlightenment" signaled that their time in limbo was complete, and they were ready to move on to a place where they were together 99.9% of the time, and a place where they would be with their loved ones for all time.

Why do people see Walt in places that he is not?

Manifestation of MIB.

I agree with pretty much all of the other answers that Gibbs gave panel...but this one stands out to me.

How could the manifestations of Walt on the island have been the MIB? Walt wasn't dead, and we know that the MIB can only manifest himself in the image of those who are dead.

But a loose end like that, does not in any way, shape, or form minimize the greatness that was LOST.

Season 6 should have just been the culmination on the island and maybe flashbacks to the previous doings on the island - More info on the mother, More info on what Dharma's goals were, more info on how Jacob learning about the ourside world he knew NOTHING About, etc.

See, I disagree. I'm glad they zoomed back in and focused on the original reasons that people fell in love with Lost in 2004...the characters. The sideways reality (limbo) provided a fate for the characters we spent 6 years following.

The island is important, but I don't really care about the incidentals (the mother, the Dharma initiative, Jacob learning things, etc.). I care about Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Kate, Sayid, Jin, Sun, Hurley, etc. To me, they zoomed WAY too far out in seasons 3 and 4 and focused way too much on other things.

In many ways, I wish they could have gone from season 1 or 2 to season 6 as it would have been a stronger, character-driven show. Granted, we got to extend our viewing by a couple years, but as it turns out the freighter, the Temple, the time-travel, etc. really didn't matter in the end.

So, I'm glad that season 6 was much more like season 1...they are easily my 2 favorite seasons and were symmetrical and perfect.

That's fine.

I'm surprised that people would feel this way. The show kept me intrigued for six seasons and is definitely in my top 5 as far as dramas - I just feel the writing was way too sloppy at points and it became obvious the writers were making too much stuff up as they went along.

You have it in your top-5 so it can't be a huge reach for many to feel like it's #1.

I have no clue how my list would go at all...so many shows that I've watched and loved over my 33 years. This is probably the only show to be my favorite during the entire life of the series. In the 6 years Lost was on the air, it was my clear-cut #1 show. I'm not sure I can say that about any of the others throughout my life.

You have it in your top-5 so it can't be a huge reach for many to feel like it's #1.

I have no clue how my list would go at all...so many shows that I've watched and loved over my 33 years. This is probably the only show to be my favorite during the entire life of the series. In the 6 years Lost was on the air, it was my clear-cut #1 show. I'm not sure I can say that about any of the others throughout my life.

To me it's a huge reach compared with the best shows on the premium networks. IMHO there is a huge leap from The Wire, Dexter, and to a lesser extent - Sopranos . . . to LOST.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I just feel that looking back on the series now - a lot of the middle episodes of the series feel like "filler".

EDIT - MY top 5 drama shows of all time:

LOST

Sopranos

The Wire

Law & Order

Mad Men/Breaking Bad (tie)

Surprisingly similar to my list, which differs in a few places:

1. The Wire (The most complete show, and in my mind CLEARLY the best drama of all time. Fantastic plot, fantastic action, fantastic acting, and hardly a single moment that did not grip you or that you were not invested in. If you haven't seen it, I can not suggest it more)

2. LOST (The most emotionally invested I have ever been with characters. Sometimes the plot dragged, sometimes we didn't get the answers, but I have never CARED as much about TV characters as I have about these ones. I mean, I choked up multiple times last night. That is how you know a show is special.)

3. The Sopranos (Had the highest highs of any of the shows, but I feel like in the end, there are lots of ways it could have been tightened up, and David Chase ultimate got a little to smart for his own good. But when it was great, no other show could touch it)

4. Mad Men (Just such a smart, well made, well cast show. Is there a cool man than Don Draper? I am eagerly awaiting this season. What's amazing is that the show isn't heavy handed with dialogue, and is so awesomely subtle, that some of the most important moments are when no one is talking at all. Just top notch acting all around.

I can't definatively give a 5th, as I have never seen Six Feet Under, and have only seen the first season of Breaking Bad (but which I plan on catching up on this summer). From what I have heard, they are the most likely candidates (ha-ha).

I can't put L&O up there because with so many incarnations of the cast, it feel like several different distinct shows. But I did love the period of time where the cast was Orbach, Bratt/Martin, Waterson and Harmon. That was it's golden era for me.

I have also seen the first two seasons of Dexter and while S1 was great, S2 was such a letdown that I abandoned the show, despite how good I heard John Lithgow was. I will probably finish it at some point, and it very well could take the 5th spot for me. But I think my top 4 are locked for the foreseeable future.

I also think the Friday Night Lights is boarding on greatness for me. Such a good show and glad it will be back for S5.

To me it's a huge reach compared with the best shows on the premium networks. IMHO there is a huge leap from The Wire, Dexter, and to a lesser extent - Sopranos . . . to LOST.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I just feel that looking back on the series now - a lot of the middle episodes of the series feel like "filler".

That's fair...and again, I'm not even contending that I believe it to be my favorite show EVER.

I'm just saying that you readily admit it's in your top-5 and then seem shocked someone else would consider it #1.

I'll put it this way, I've gotten hooked on shows before, but I've never been more excited for each episode of a show like I was for Lost for 6 years. That says a lot.

If people are going to examine the writing or other technical aspects, then I'm not equipped to debate. But, just from an excitement and anticipation perspective, nothing has compared to Lost for me.

That's fair...and again, I'm not even contending that I believe it to be my favorite show EVER.

I'm just saying that you readily admit it's in your top-5 and then seem shocked someone else would consider it #1.

I'll put it this way, I've gotten hooked on shows before, but I've never been more excited for each episode of a show like I was for Lost for 6 years. That says a lot.

If people are going to examine the writing or other technical aspects, then I'm not equipped to debate. But, just from an excitement and anticipation perspective, nothing has compared to Lost for me.

I can agree with that.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed about all the questions that will never get answered. I knew it would never wrap up in a neat bow - and I didn't want it to. However, just seems a lot of the "mystery" that made it interesting to me for so long were put there for the specific purpose of keeping me interested - instead of providing any meaning to the plot.

The constraints of network TV are such that you almost have to give Lost credit for doing what it did...and realize that nothing like it (ensamble cast, huge budget, location filming) will ever be done on network for a long, long time, if ever. It is clearly the best network drama of my lifetime.

Anyone who listens to Bill Simmons knows that he has suggested that the Emmy's have seperate categories for network and cable shows, as the playing fields just aren't equal.

The constraints of network TV are such that you almost have to give Lost credit for doing what it did...and realize that nothing like it (ensamble cast, huge budget, location filming) will ever be done on network for a long, long time, if ever. It is clearly the best network drama of my lifetime.

Anyone who listens to Bill Simmons knows that he has suggested that the Emmy's have seperate categories for network and cable shows, as the playing fields just aren't equal.

Definitely agree.

I loved LOST and anticipated every episode like everyone else that watched. I was just more intrigued by the various "mysteries" of the early seasons - the vast majority of which will never be answered.

I guess.

It's just the fact that there were so many questions left unanswered.

I knew they would never explain them on but just thinking back there are so many that they never come close to even giving clues about - and I'm sure I'll find a ****load more when I rewatch all of the seasons.

What questions went unanswered? What I'm am saying is that the only unanswered questions are the ones that your answers contradict with what is know.

I was just more intrigued by the various "mysteries" of the early seasons - the vast majority of which will never be answered.

Well maybe you will get some answers come the fall: http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/20/lost-dvd-extras/

Not that this is something that is going to change my interpretation of the show. I really doubt knowing anything more is going to profoundly alter what you should take away from the show, but if it does I think you (not you JMU, "you" in general) might have missed the main greatness of the show.

For those of you who missed it' date=' here is a link to Jimmy Kimmel's show after the Finale:

[url']

[/url]

I HIGHLY suggest that all LOST fans watch this. :)

last night was awesome. Especially Snoop Dogg at the end. :ols:

Definitely agree.

I loved LOST and anticipated every episode like everyone else that watched. I was just more intrigued by the various "mysteries" of the early seasons - the vast majority of which will never be answered.

If the mysteries are what hooked you, then I can understand. For me, the mysteries became somewhat cool to try to look for, but from day 1 I was hooked on the characters. They did a phenomenal job developing the characters and making the viewers care about them. So, a resolution like the one we got last night was perfect for me.

Season 6 mirrored season 1 in so many ways...and they will certainly be my 2 favorite seasons of the series. The middle seasons with the time-travel, Dharma, the history of the island mythology was all cool and served to extend the series to 6 seasons, but it wasn't the front-burner for me. The common thread through each episode was the characters we learned to love.

For those of you who missed it' date=' here is a link to Jimmy Kimmel's show after the Finale:

[url']

[/url]

I HIGHLY suggest that all LOST fans watch this. :)

I thought the Kimmel show was terrbile. No hugo, sawyer or kate. Ben left half way through. The cast didn't seem to really like each other. The alt endings pissed me off, though the newhart one was good.

All in all, I wish I went to sleep.

I thought the Kimmel show was terrbile. No hugo, sawyer or kate. Ben left half way through. The cast didn't seem to really like each other. The alt endings pissed me off, though the newhart one was good.

All in all, I wish I went to sleep.

I thought it was pretty funny. I also liked Jimmy's brief interpretation of "when" Jack died and Rose told him to "let go".

Archived