Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Latino lawmakers urge veto of Arizona immigration law

China

Latino lawmakers urge veto of Arizona immigration law

Washington (CNN) -- Latino members of Congress Tuesday called on Arizona's governor to kill a state bill that would require police to determine whether people are in the United States legally, arguing that it unconstitutionally authorizes discrimination.

"When you institutionalize a law like this one, you are targeting and discriminating at a wholesale level against a group of people," Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Arizona, told reporters. Grijalva and Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, said Republican Gov. Jan Brewer should veto the measure, which the state Senate approved Monday.

The bill would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and require police to question people if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally. It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant day laborers or knowingly transport them.

Click on the link for the full article

If you don't have I.D or necasary paper and you can't prove that you're a citizen, adios amigo. :caio:

As noted non-US citizens who are here legally are required to carry proof of legal presence "at all times".

How many people carry proof of US citizenship? How many people don't have possession of documents that assert that they are a US citizen? i.e. a passport or birth cert?

How many people carry proof of US citizenship? How many people don't have possession of documents that assert that they are a US citizen? i.e. a passport or birth cert?

And make sure that it's the long birth certificate. And it must be the original one you got when you were born, too. Not something that some state government printed up, later.

:)

Whatever we do, let's not enforce our own laws.

And while we're at it let's not violate the Constitution, you know that pesky little part that requires probable cause before a search can be made. What probable cause would a police officer have to ask for identification documents?

Judge: Why did you think he was an illegal?

Officer: Because he looked like an illegal.

Judge: Was he an illegal?

Officer: Uhhh, no.

Judge: So you used racial profiling as your probable cause in order to make search against an innocent person?

Officer: Uhhh...yes.

Yeah this law will work out real swell.

BTW, even if the gov signs it there will be immediate legal action against it and it'll be at SCOTUS in no time, where hopefully it'll get tossed and the idiot legislators and who crafted and voted for the bill get a huge SCOTUS ho-slap!

The law sounds good to me, people are required to carry I.D why should people that are here illegally get special treatment?

US citizens are not required to carry ID. I can walk down the street and do not need to carry ID.

And while we're at it let's not violate the Constitution, you know that pesky little part that requires probable cause before a search can be made. What probable cause would a police officer have to ask for identification documents?

Judge: Why did you think he was an illegal?

Officer: Because he looked like an illegal.

Judge: Was he an illegal?

Officer: Uhhh, no.

Judge: So you used racial profiling as your probable cause in order to make search against an innocent person?

Officer: Uhhh...yes.

Yeah this law will work out real swell.

BTW, even if the gov signs it there will be immediate legal action against it and it'll be at SCOTUS in no time.

What Constitutional right does asking for identification violate?

The bill would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times "

As noted, this is already Federal Law. Why is Arizona adding a state law on top?

... and require police to question people if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally.

What would be such a reason? :)

It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant day laborers or knowingly transport them.

How about they target people who offer longer term employment to illegal immigrants too? This is the fastest way of seriously reducing flow of illegal immigration.

How many of us Carry Driver's License or some form of I.D. at all times? I don't really see the issue with that. However, I would be open to ideas on how to manage the problem.

Doesn't matter, if I'm walking along a police officer cannot just pull up to me and demand my identification.

Doesn't matter, if I'm walking along a police officer cannot just pull up to me and demand my identification.

Actually, the courts have said that yes, they can.

I don't agree with that ruling. Think the Constitution says otherwise. But, as things stand right now in the US, yes, they can.

I'm a vocal supporter of aggressive, comprehensive immigration reform. But this is NOT the way to do it.

Even I'm not ignorant enough to think that those with hispanic accents won't be asked for proof of citizenship than those with French, German, or Irish accents.

Though I want illegals out as badly as the people who drew up this bill, there is entirely too much potential for profiling and abuse of a law like this.

Actually, the courts have said that yes, they can.

I don't agree with that ruling. Think the Constitution says otherwise. But, as things stand right now in the US, yes, they can.

Where? What ruling?

BTW, are they asking for state issued identification, like a driver's license?

If so that's a different matter altogether.

It does matter.

If its a Constitutional Rights issue, as you eluded to earlier, then I would think that it matters.

The problem is that you can't continue to have American Citizens showing up dead. That's bad for everybody. Until a way can be found to correct those kinds of problems, I don't see any other way to help control the problem but, as I said earlier, I am open to any alternatives.

Archived