Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN John Clayton: Campbell speculation (Bills and Raiders)

dfbovey

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5077455

Interesting that he thinks the most likely situation is Campbell being traded to the Raiders. Makes some good points regarding his fate being tied to what happens with Clausen on draft day.

Jimmy Clausen's pro day last Friday might have settled questions about whether he's a top-10 prospect.

Clausen threw well enough to be a top-10 pick, but figuring out where he'll go means figuring out how much appeal Redskins QB Jason Campbell has on the trade market.

Any questions?

Have a question for John Clayton? Connect with him here.

Campbell went from being the Redskins' starter to a draft-day trade candidate when the Redskins acquired Donovan McNabb. To help the trade process, Campbell plans to sign his one-year restricted free-agent tender this week to help a trade happen.

Campbell has two main hopes -- Oakland or Buffalo -- although he'd prefer if something could be done to get him to Carolina. Unfortunately for him, the Panthers don't appear to be interested. From the Redskins' standpoint, coach Mike Shanahan met with Campbell and was honest. Shanahan told Campbell he would try to accommodate him in a trade that benefits both parties. He gave Campbell the ability to shop around, too.

The timing of the McNabb deal held back any quick solution for Campbell. You can see how this is going to go. Campbell will watch the Clausen situation closely. If the Bills take Clausen at No. 9, Campbell will likely have to wait until Saturday, April 24, with hopes that the Redskins deal him to the Raiders as part of a draft-day trade.

The Bills, meanwhile, could factor Campbell's availability into what they do at quarterback. The cost of Campbell won't be more than a lower-round pick, a bargain for a starting quarterback. That could give the Bills the luxury of taking a Colt McCoy or a Tim Tebow and still getting Campbell as a starting quarterback to buy time for their future QB's development.

Still, odds favor Campbell ending up in Oakland, where he could work with new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

Oakland's second for a starting QB isn't that bad of a deal.

Come on Al. This dude can play! He'll hit those fast receivers in stride and "Just Win Baby" will be known in Oakland once more!

I'd settle for their 4th and would do a cartwheel for their 3rd. A 2nd would be like winning the power ball.

Oakland's second for a starting QB isn't that bad of a deal.

Come on Al. This dude can play! He'll hit those fast receivers in stride and "Just Win Baby" will be known in Oakland once more!

Yep. Sell Al on the myth of JC being a great deep ball passer. Rob the Raiders blind, then watch Al keel over for good when JC immediately checks down on third and long.

The Professor is one of the few I respect. Even his speculations are well thought out.

In any case, I like the fact that Clausen's stock is rising and that Seattle, Cleavland, Oakland and Buffalo would be tempted to take him. If and when one of those teams take him, the other 3 would be left with McCoy and Tebow. At that point they're going to have to consider trading for JC.

I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to be traded to the Raiders.

I'm a minority but I actually think they're not as bad as we and the media make em' out to be. They're bad but not that bad. I like JC and I hope he ends up in Oakland rather than Buffalo.

Bad management in Oakland but they're also in their downturn cycle (since Rich Gannon left). I think they can turn it around in 2010 (around 500 team) with an okay QB like Campbell and a good/lucky draft this year. Just slip Al Davis some sleeping meds on draft day and follow Kiper's mock draft.

I'm a minority but I actually think they're not as bad as we and the media make em' out to be. They're bad but not that bad. I like JC and I hope he ends up in Oakland rather than Buffalo.

Bad management in Oakland but they're also in their downturn cycle (since Rich Gannon left). I think they can turn it around in 2010 (around 500 team) with an okay QB like Campbell and a good/lucky draft this year. Just slip Al Davis some sleeping meds on draft day and follow Kiper's mock draft.

Eh, it's pretty bad dude. I live out here in the east bay, and there are billboards, purchased by Raider Nation online fans like us, urging Davis to get a real GM, etc. Every Raider fan I know is completely embarrassed by the franchise. Sad, given how legendary they used to be before Al Davis started going senile.

Archived