Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

@Schefter-Skins NOT shopping Big Al

TK

How many times has it been said that we will be a hybrid, running both 3-4 and 4-3? And Kemoeatu can't be our only 2 gap NT. He's Haynesworth's backup for that 45% of the time he ain't in the game when we run the 3-4. Haynesworth will need to play some 2 gap nose guard but not all the time. In passing downs he'll 1 gap from anywhere including a 3 tech 4-3 DL. He'll play 3-4 end, he'll stunt, he'll still be expected to take on blockers but will also be allowed to shoot gaps, perhaps even moreso than he did last year. He didn't play a lot of 1 gap last year which was his problem with Blache's scheme.

Would somebody please sticky this post.

Great post Mr Gibbs !!!

You really think he has better sources than schefter? Hell I trust TK before I would JReid,Florio and JLC!

I would hope we all trust TK more than those guys and Schefter.

Another 5 pages to catch up on this thread but I have to say despite posting yesterday the picks would be good but happy to keep him, when I saw the not shopping I read it as we're keeping (that may be wrong but I'm a glass half full person) and it made me smile.

He's the best at what he does, he's even really good being played out of type as evidenced last season. Our DL was so vanilla it was untrue and he was taking on double and triple teams yet he still knocked the QB down a bunch of times. And then there's from how Carter et al and our GL D benefited.

When Hall was getting mobbed Al stepped up. I want him on my team.

Is it remotely possible that Shanahan is giving Shefter this information to report so that we don't a) alienate Haynesworth if we can't trade him and B) devalue Haynesworth by looking eager to unload him?

Yes, we haven't got a clue what Shanahan is doing, and neither have most other people including those in the NFL. The only thing we all know for sure is Mike Shanahan is the top man at the Washington Redskins. It's nice to see the supposed top man actually be allowed to be it and be seen as such. A bad plan with buy in is better than a good one without it and we might have a great one, we don't know yet but we do look like a proper NFL franchise.

I dislike JReid like I dislike that other douche who left for NFL Network. Why can't we have beat writers that actually like the Washington Redskins?

Murph should get that gig

you guys should read into this more...schefter also said "Haynesworth has been told he is the starting nose tackle in the 3-4" which Haynesworth doesn't want to do, they are trying to convince him to pay back some of that 21 million if he wants to be traded...its also called trying to increase trade value for him, if everyone knows we want to get rid of him so bad then no one is going to offer much, by saying he isn't available teams will still call and we will still have a market for him

you guys should read into this more...schefter also said "Haynesworth has been told he is the starting nose tackle in the 3-4" which Haynesworth doesn't want to do, they are trying to convince him to pay back some of that 21 million if he wants to be traded...its also called trying to increase trade value for him, if everyone knows we want to get rid of him so bad then no one is going to offer much, by saying he isn't available teams will still call and we will still have a market for him

Interesting perspective

Or, he is the starting NT right now because Maake Kemoeatu isn't healthy and if TC started today would not be able to go.

Or, he is the starting NT right now because Maake Kemoeatu isn't healthy and if TC started today would not be able to go.

I really don't see us suddenly transitioning to a "pure" 3-4. I'm guessing there will be a hybrid and hoping that guys will be moved around a lot since Haslett has said he wants to be very aggressive and if you have a guy with the skillset of AH you can be aggressive in a TON of ways.

There seems to be a lot of inconsitency, though. On one hand you have Haslett saying he is going to move AH around a bunch to utilize his skillset as much as possible. Then we hear that Shanny is saying he is a NT. I could see him as a great 1 gap NT ala Ratcliff but, as Art pointed out in another thread, that would also leave some major gaps to be filled.

I just really really hope they know what they're doing and aren't just trying to push square pegs into round holes because they're intent on setting up a new system.

Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread (and I agreed totally and completely), but you did a much better job explaining.

I truly believe that if a fair market value deal can get done to trade Worthless Shanny-Allen will do it.

Schefter could have been sloppy with his word choice, but I agree that the "starting nose tackle" piece is a deliberate message to Haynesworth and the public...especially since the 'skins haven't even confirmed that the base D will be a 3-4, at least not as of 3/26 according to the WP:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/3-4-defense/orakpo-focuses-on-helping-defe.html

There was no "need" to specifically refer to him as the starting nose tackle. It creates some wiggle room for the 'skins if they do end up trading Haynesworth, putting it back on him that he didn't want to play nose, thereby saving face. I don't know that they really want to trade him, but I think they're trying to get a reaction out of him somehow. If they are trying to trade him, as several sources suggest (sorry TK), I'm not sure it's the smartest move to needle him, because if it becomes clear that Haynesworth doesn't want to play here, the 'skins lose leverage.

And if Schefter is so tight with Shanahan, maybe he's willing to sort of do him little favors here and there where he can. And now if he does get traded, Schefter can save face by noting Haynesworth's issues with playing the nose as being a major factor.

I really don't see us suddenly transitioning to a "pure" 3-4. I'm guessing there will be a hybrid and hoping that guys will be moved around a lot since Haslett has said he wants to be very aggressive and if you have a guy with the skillset of AH you can be aggressive in a TON of ways.

There seems to be a lot of inconsitency, though. On one hand you have Haslett saying he is going to move AH around a bunch to utilize his skillset as much as possible. Then we hear that Shanny is saying he is a NT. I could see him as a great 1 gap NT ala Ratcliff but, as Art pointed out in another thread, that would also leave some major gaps to be filled.

I just really really hope they know what they're doing and aren't just trying to push square pegs into round holes because they're intent on setting up a new system.

The problem with playing a hybrid is that sooner or later, you're going to end up forced into one kind of base defense. Injuries, experience, etc., will add up during the season and it will happen.

Second, I hope this idea of telling Haynesworth he's the true NT and he has to deal with it, to save face in case of a trade, isn't true.

Just about anybody who objectively looks at Haynesworth in a 3-4 says he could be a dominant DE, if he's not a 1 gap NT. So if we're trying to force him into a spot to give him cause to want to leave town, when he could, and should, actually be a monster for us at another position, well that would be stupid on an epic level.

And again, before we all get carried away, Shanahan isn't a defensive guru. Offensive, yes, absolutely. But defense?

Ask Denver fans how he fared building the defense for most of the decade.

And again, before we all get carried away, Shanahan isn't a defensive guru. Offensive, yes, absolutely. But defense?

Ask Denver fans how he fared building the defense for most of the decade.

My worry is whether or not Shanny actually realizes that he is not a defensive guru and will leave those decisions, for the most part, up to Haslett and his staff. I really hope so, because you're right; Shanny is a brilliant offensive mind, but his defenses have consistently sucked. We'll see what happens, I guess.

As much as I like KJ, she needs to take up golf with a swing like that.

If thats the case, then she really needs to stop with the "Its been confirmed" mess...It gives the impression that the information is coming from an agent or a front office employee.

My worry is whether or not Shanny actually realizes that he is not a defensive guru and will leave those decisions, for the most part, up to Haslett and his staff. I really hope so, because you're right; Shanny is a brilliant offensive mind, but his defenses have consistently sucked. We'll see what happens, I guess.

If I had to guess, I'd say Shanahan thinks he actually knows a thing or two about defenses.

That was a large part of what cost him his job in Denver, and since then he's only become fixated on the 3-4, going so far as to hang out at Steelers and Patriots training camps to try and figure out how to copy their schemes. It's his goal to fix what went wrong at the end of his Broncos phase.

Shanahan is all ego. He knows he's the smartest guy in the room and he'll do whatever it takes to prove that. And in the meantime, he's going around talking about the "Redskins" defense to give him some room while he cooks this 3-4 experiment up.

And referring it to Haslett is hardly comforting.

My only real hope is that we were able to bring in Spanos from Pittsburgh to coach the LBs, and it would be great if he could offer a lot in terms of developing our zone blitzing schemes and doing our best Steelers/LeBeau impression.

But that's not so great when our best hope comes from our LB coach.

Thank god.

Unless we had gotten Tampa's #3 overall I was going to hate dealing him. Now let's trade Andre Carter to the Rams for Adam Carriker and deal JC to the Panthers for a decent pick to draft Eric Norwood OLB/DE (perfect fit to play opposite Orakpo) and we've got one ****ing amazing defense.

:point2sky

I think Haynesworth is done here.

Just a hunch, but he has already bucked Shanahan on the workouts issue and on what position he is going to play.

2010 is the year to get rid of these problem contracts like Haynesworth and Portis.

I would be surprised if either player is with the team come September, although I don't expect the signing of veteran players to stop anytime soon.

Archived