Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Haynesworth committed to work out plan

dfbovey

Could you trade him for somebody that is COMMITTED to team redskin football?

For one, I highly doubt we could even trade him because of his price tag and two, whether he's there or not, he does add a lot when he's on the field, even if he's sitting still.

Hopefully his personal workout plan is as strenuous as Clinton's in Miami during the offseason, or as phenomenal as B LLoyd's was on the west coast.

Whew. I feel much better now. Thanks Al, for giving it 110%.:ols:

He is an inspiration to every single other player on the team.

I remember Lloyd his last year, coming back looking like a different player after his personal workouts.

ES fans seem to live in a fantasy world. Thinking that the players get the best workouts at Redskins Park, and that organized activities in March actually mean something.

Well, some words shall be eaten now, lol. Jumping the gun = humiliation more times than not. :ols:

Honestly, I was really surprised, more than anything else, how much everyone was bashing AH for his play last year in the other thread. Yeesh.

I remember Lloyd his last year, coming back looking like a different player after his personal workouts.

ES fans seem to live in a fantasy world. Thinking that the players get the best workouts at Redskins Park, and that organized activities in March actually mean something.

Or how about our Olineman last year who went to Arizona? They came back in great shape.

Ignore McD5 man, king of "I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll definitely make sure you deem it necessary to respond to my posts, damnit!" :silly:

Yes. He looked like he hit the juice. Too bad it didn't help him as a football player.

Was it nice of Al to show up for the first day? Yes.

Is it really asking too much for him to work with the team? No.

Could he simply fly his personal trainer up, and have him stand next to him in the gym? Yes. The team would allow that.

Did he do that? No.

It's just disappointing.

It's like having members of a band, like the Beatles for example, playing their instruments away from each other for six months. If they really do practice, that's great. Still, they aren't practicing with each other. And that sets progress back.

Bottom line is Albert Haynesworth was given permission by Shanahan to work out on his own with a hired conditioning expert that Haynesworth used prior to his two Pro Bowl years. Seems Haynesworth did not think much of the Redskins conditioning team from last year (who were all fired) and Haynesworth took the initiative while Shanahan was trying to put together a new strength and conditioning coaching team. Lots of you complained about Albert's conditioning; yet he was conditioned by the Redskins conditioning staff last year that Shanahan fired. Just maybe Haynesworth took the initiative to get him in the kind of shape he was in during his two Pro Bowl years.

And for all those who are so negative about Haynesworth....I watched every game including 8 games in person, and Haynesworth made a HUGE difference in the defensive line. Carter and Orakpo had career years in sacks because Haynesworth was occupying two and three players at a time.

When he was playing, he made a huge difference. I am not happy about his missing four games because of injury but then few players play against 2-3 players on every down nor are the focal point of attack for the opposing offense.

Those of you piling on probably watched very little of his actual playing time. All you ever saw was his slow walking off the field or him on the ground after an injury. Did you actually watch play after play and see what WORK he actually did.

At one time, Redskin fans used to be some of the most informed in the League. Now a days, all they do is pile on after seeing minimum video from the TV, and whine and complain.

Yes. He looked like he hit the juice. Too bad it didn't help him as a football player.

Was it nice of Al to show up for the first day? Yes.

Is it really asking too much for him to work with the team? No.

Could he simply fly his personal trainer up, and have him stand next to him in the gym? Yes. The team would allow that.

Did he do that? No.

It's just disappointing.

It's like having members of a band, like the Beatles for example, playing their instruments away from each other for six months. If they really do practice, that's great. Still, they aren't practicing with each other. And that sets progress back.

Do you think that his trainer would fly here just for him? If he's that good, he surely has more than a few clients.

Do you think that his trainer would fly here just for him? If he's that good, he surely has more than a few clients.

With the money that Al or the team could pay him? Of course.

Here is an interesting part of the article:

Moreover, regardless if some in the main building believe

Haynesworth has a bad attitude (and trust us, some do), the coaching staff knows they need the guy because he's one of few elite players on the roster.

Haynesworth met Shanahan halfway in appearing on the first day of the program. Perhaps Shanahan made a positive gesture in accepting Haynesworth won't be around all the time. That certainly not a perfect union -- but it's a start.

It's laziness. There is a reason why they all do this together, as opposed to letting everyone just workout on their own.

It's just a shame that he doesn't have a great work ethic, or desire to ever approach a player like Sapp or White. He could be a great one.

I knew as I was reading the first thread on this yesterday, and all the traditional reactionary message board flailing, that this would turn out to be the case.

You too? That's a sign we've been doing this **** WAY to long. :D

I watched AH go out of the Giants game with a pulled butt muscle and miss time again in the middle of the season with various pulls and strains that can be attibutable at least in part to him going 350 last year instead of the 325-330 he was in TN.

Again, let's just face the facts that AH is not going to just 'play ball' and come in and do the work like the rest of the players.

He is going to do things his own way, whether that is hiring a private trainer or going to work out in AZ in another organized program, he like Shawn Springs and Portis is going to set himself apart from his teammates.

I just don't think that is a net plus for team chemistry.

This is not tennis or golf where ALL we care about his how a guy shows up and plays the majors, what he does the balance of the season in the locker room and with his fellow players IS important to the TEAM advancing forward.

I watched AH go out of the Giants game with a pulled butt muscle and miss time again in the middle of the season with various pulls and strains that can be attibutable at least in part to him going 350 last year instead of the 325-330 he was in TN.

Again, let's just face the facts that AH is not going to just 'play ball' and come in and do the work like the rest of the players.

He is going to do things his own way, whether that is hiring a private trainer or going to work out in AZ in another organized program, he like Shawn Springs and Portis is going to set himself apart from his teammates.

I just don't think that is a net plus for team chemistry.

This is not tennis or golf where ALL we care about his how a guy shows up and plays the majors, what he does the balance of the season in the locker room and with his fellow players IS important to the TEAM advancing forward.

Maybe. I think you have to factor in the net gains. When Portis and Springs were playing great football and taking us to the playoffs, nobody complained that they had their own workout regiments in the offseason. If, as a result of his own individual training, Haynesworth comes in and dominates next year and we win the division or something, team chemistry will be fine.

Now see, with SonnyandSam and bulldog's posts you have a beautiful demonstration of how two people can make intellectually competent and informed analyses and yet arrive at contrasting perspectives, each being rationally and reasonably arguable. Take notes. :)

And yes, Rick, we have been doing this **** too long. :pfft:

I'm not sure what to make of this exactly. Last year we heard that he was away on his own regimen, getting in shape. Yet during the season he was constantly out of shape. I'm trying to hold on to some optimism and believe that out of respect for Shanny and personal pride, that this year will be different. But we won't really know until camp starts.

I know that I'm going to come across as the cynic in here...but what the hell.

Is Haynesworth considered to be "committed" simply because he said he is?

Agreed. It is a bad sign to me that Haynesworth is getting over 21 million dollars from us this season and isn't doing the "team" workouts. So what if he had committed to another trainer, are you saying that he was going to lose his deposit or something?

I was hoping this type of me attitude was totally gone, but apparently there are a few stragglers. I'm glad that the 21 million dollar hit is in the uncapped year so if his "attitude" doesn't improve, they can trade him in the future.

As a musician and big fan of The Beatles, I take issue with this analogy lol.

Great bands like The Beatles are great because there is an obvious connection from the beginning that makes songwriting/performing almost effortless. It's often very important for the evolution of the band for it's members to do their own thing after an album release/major tour to gain new perspective on the music and how it pertains to life. (Music is very personal.)

Sorry to get off topic, but as a former college QB/CB who currently works on music for a living- I just have say that the 'offseasons' are very different.

I am not a Haynesworth fan and did not want him here when the same guaranteed 42 million could have procured a very good offensive line which was, again, ignored by the Snyderrato.

Having said that, and having watched Haynesworth show up overweight and out of shape last year, I am not worried so much about missing the first camp. He showed the proper respect to the organization by showing up for the orientation and his coaches were aware of his plans. Remember, because the Skins have a new coach they are allowed to have an extra minicamp and I assume this was it. Its main purpose is for Shanahan and Allen and the coaches to get a look at the players they saw on film. No way AH was to receive the same strict evaluation that a second string lineman was going to get.

I'll reserve judgment until the next meeting and wait to see what type of shape AH shows up in. If he's in good football shape by the start of camp, then all of this was just offseason noise. If AH shows up like he did last year, then his commitment to winning and the Redskins are legitmate questions. But that's Shanahan's job to correct until we know otherwise.

Regarding the "band" practicing together metaphor... we haven't even gotten to the point in the offseason where the band would even be practicing. We're talking about weight lifting, running on treadmills and basic gym stuff here. Not lining up next to your teammates in training camp and practice. Blowing things out of proportion a bit with that analogy.

Archived