Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we must draft a DT with the #4 pick

doctorshockalu

I believe that if we first lock up the defense it will be much easier to rebuild the offense the following year. We should be taking Suh or McCoy with this pick so that we solidify our DL. This will have two benefits.

1. Everyone complains about AH playing time because he is "out of shape". So it would seem to benefit both players by drafting this way. AH will be allowed to go all out for 50-60% of the plays while giving Suh/McCoy plenty of playing time while he learns the system.

2. With both DTs, we will be fully equipped for the hybrid of running both a 4-3 and 3-4. In early downs while running the 4-3, we can have both AH and Suh/McCoy in the game. This would devestate the run game and would allow us to only rush 4 linemen and still get pressure. In the 3-4 one of them can either be spelled or have one shift to the DE spot. Having Orakpo, Carter, AH, Suh/McCoy, and Jarmon rushing the QB will force quick throws which will help our secondary out.

Our D should be solid for many years to come while we can focus mainly on our offense problems. The rest of the draft picks we can add OL and play makers and start adding depth. In the mean time if AH gets hurt we have a starting caliber player ready to step in. Not to mention AH probably has about 3 more productive years left.

I believe in BPA, and if either of them falls to us they are definitely the BPA.

However, I could have sworn I read TK saying that Haslett has already talked to Big Al and will use him as the NT and allow him to rush the passer from there. Meaning the need to justify BPA isn't really there.

If one of them falls to us I'd sooner us use them as trade bait to move down.

SuH nor McCoy are NTs man, taking one of those two would be foolish. IF the redskins were running a 4-3 I would agree with you.

They should get Jeff owens a projected 4th round pick if they want a NT.

We're are basically screwed if Jimmy, Bradford and Okung are gone. Its better to take the next tackle which is williams or if they are going with best player philosophy than its berry.

I'm hoping they trade out.

The only way id consider taking a DT would be if we were sitting at 4 and Okung and Bradford were off the board and Suh and McCoy were still there AND we couldnt work out a trade back. Even then I would probably rather take Clausen or Bulaga

There are some scenarios where drafting a DT would make sense:

1. Okung and Bradford are gone (assuming the Skins are even interested in drafting a QB).

2. Skins try but are unable to trade down.

3. McCoy or Suh are available.

I don't like leaving it to chance that there will be a OT still on the board when the Skins pick in the second round. But really that's the same situation we'll be in for the OL if the Skins were to draft a QB. There doesn't seem to be much dispute that both McCoy and Suh are worthy of the #4 pick. Yeah, the offense will likely bite next year without real talent for the OL but it's a long term building process to right the wrongs of the last ten years.

There are some scenarios where drafting a DT would make sense:

1. Okung and Bradford are gone (assuming the Skins are even interested in drafting a QB).

2. Skins try but are unable to trade down.

3. McCoy or Suh are available.

I don't like leaving it to chance that there will be a OT still on the board when the Skins pick in the second round. But really that's the same situation we'll be in for the OL if the Skins were to draft a QB. There doesn't seem to be much dispute that both McCoy and Suh are worthy of the #4 pick. Yeah, the offense will likely bite next year without real talent for the OL but it's a long term building process to right the wrongs of the last ten years.

the problem with that is, if the redskin get a DT at 4, then its expected he will start at NT during the first day. SuH and McCoy are great DTs but I don't think there strength is in a 3-4 defense. Too much goes into a top 5 pick to select a player that will not fit into the team.

McCoy imho is not worth the 4th pick - 23 reps from a DT thats not gonna cut it in the NFL....McCoy may be the next Glenn Dorsey...However, Suh is the real deal....We draft Spiller and everything else will fall into place.

I was thinking we should draft a TE and lock up that position. If we just bite the bullet and draft Jermaine Gresham at #4, we'd have him, Cooley and Davis and wouldn't have to worry about that position if any one has to miss any time due to injury. Then next season we can focus on the offensive line, QB and RB.

I believe that if we first lock up the defense it will be much easier to rebuild the offense the following year.

I stopped reading after the first, you could have the post of the century and I would never know. There is no way in HELL we put off addressing the offense until the 2011 season. Smack yourself with a hammer....

Over Shanny's career, he rarely drafted a tackle, when he did, he drafted one pretty high. On average, he drafted tackles higher on the board than any other position. Quarterbacks, on the other hand, were middle-of-the-road when compared to other positions.

We're still going Oline if Bradford and Okung are gone by #4.

I was thinking we should draft a TE and lock up that position. If we just bite the bullet and draft Jermaine Gresham at #4, we'd have him, Cooley and Davis and wouldn't have to worry about that position if any one has to miss any time due to injury. Then next season we can focus on the offensive line, QB and RB.

Who won the best kicker and punter award last year? We could really lock up our kicking situation with the best kicker in college at #4. After all, special teams is like, a third of the game of football. We can definitely invest a #4 on a kicker!!!!!!11!!

:doh: at this thread. OP, you are wrong. If we end up drafting a DT I will eat my words gladly. But, in the meantime.... no.

Over Shanny's career, he rarely drafted a tackle, when he did, he drafted one pretty high. On average, he drafted tackles higher on the board than any other position. Quarterbacks, on the other hand, were middle-of-the-road when compared to other positions.

We're still going Oline if Bradford and Okung are gone by #4.

Shanahan has only had one top ten pick and that was with the Raiders. So saying he has a "history of dafting QBs later is just silly. HE NEVER HAD A CHOICE. I would imagine that if he can draft a blue chip QB that he loves at #4, he's going to jump on it while he has the chance.

As for drafting a DT with our first or even second pick.... :doh:

McCoy imho is not worth the 4th pick - 23 reps from a DT thats not gonna cut it in the NFL....McCoy may be the next Glenn Dorsey...However, Suh is the real deal....We draft Spiller and everything else will fall into place.

23 was more than Warren sapp did, he turned out ok.

I actually agree, if Mcoy or Suh is there you take him. period. Id prefer suh tbh but Mcoy is pretty solid as well. it all depends on bradford, I dont think hes a manning type guy but i havent watched as much film as our scouts

Shanahan has only had one top ten pick and that was with the Raiders. So saying he has a "history of dafting QBs later is just silly. HE NEVER HAD A CHOICE. I would imagine that if he can draft a blue chip QB that he loves at #4, he's going to jump on it while he has the chance.

As for drafting a DT with our first or even second pick.... :doh:

Shanahan hasn't ever drafted a QB even in the 2nd round and only 4 QB's total in 14 years, so the argument that he "never had a choice" is silly and inaccurate.

He's had a HOF QB that landed on his lap, a 3rd round QB that he made a starter, a castoff QB that won 13 games for him and a 1st round QB whose legacy is uncertain. There is no connection to any of them other than Shanny made them all work.

Great idea, lets keep ignoring the O-line. Brilliant. Our defense has been great for years while we ignored the O-line. Did that get us anywhere? And you want to keep doing that?

It baffles me! IMO picking an OL in the TOP 5 would mean you have SOMEONE TO PROTECT! I don't care but with a TOP 5 pick you need to spend that on someone who can either PROTECT your players that puts points on the board or someone who will be a playmaker.

Last time I checked there are 7 rounds that we can get OL in! First round I say if Suh is there SNAG him unless Bradford is there then I say see if someone wants to trade up for Suh and possibly you don't drop too far back that you can get Bradford after that

Suh could absolutely play DE in a 3-4. He's very versatile. If he's available at four, I'd have no problem with trading down for the right offer. But, if the right offer doesn't come along, then I'd have no problem with them taking him if he is cleared medically.

I'm not sure about McCoy. I've never seen him play.

Great idea, lets keep ignoring the O-line. Brilliant. Our defense has been great for years while we ignored the O-line. Did that get us anywhere? And you want to keep doing that?

I think that's an overstatement and I also think we can address positions like OT, OG, OC, and QB outside the first round. We'd be fools to pass on a once in a generation talent like Ndamukong Suh in favor of an offensive lineman when Shanahan is FAMOUS for building top lines out of mid round guys.

23 was more than Warren sapp did, he turned out ok.

I actually agree, if Mcoy or Suh is there you take him. period. Id prefer suh tbh but Mcoy is pretty solid as well. it all depends on bradford, I dont think hes a manning type guy but i havent watched as much film as our scouts

So are we insinuating that McCoy will be the next Sapp???? I think not --- Players are much faster, and stronger these days....I personally think McCoy will be a bust...

Archived