Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we must draft a DT with the #4 pick

doctorshockalu

Last year a different of 7 points per game means the Skins go 10-6 instead of 4-12. In the history of the NFL, no defense has scored 7 points a game. Adding a single player to the current defense is not going to make a 7 points per game difference. Suh and McCoy are probably both going to be great DL, just like Sapp. But no single defensive player in the history of the game made 7 points a game difference in their careers.

The Oline is the offense. A good OLine will make that 7 points a game and then some. Drafting Suh or McCoy guarantees another losing season.

Not to mention the obvious. How many years do you plan on ignoring the OLine? We have 5 picks, not 7. With the one free agent pickup and re-signing an undersized, aging center in Rabach, and keeping Dockery, there are still major holes to fill. Franchise left tackles are not found in the 4th, 5th and 7th rounds and only occasionally in the second round. But the OT that protects the QB's blind-side is almost as important as the QB himself. Vinny and Dan let the OLine disintegrate through neglect over the last 10 years and the Skins offense paid the price and you would let that continue.

The SKins drafted nothing but D last year and the team ended up with half as many wins as the year before. Yet you want the best of the draft to go to the D again. That's just foolish. I could see a QB. I can hope for OL. But drafting D again is just a sure way to lose. It's time to have an offense.

Even if we draft oline in the first round we will still have a losing season. This is at least a 3 year project to turn this mess around. I believe in drafting the best player available. So if that means Shu or McCoy are still available, we need to draft the top player on our board.

We have had a elite LT for the past 10 years and it has done absolutely nothing for us.

Those last 10 years also had something else in common: Vinny. Besides Samuels, he never used the draft address the OL and the offense suffered as a result. This new regime needs to value the OL in order to get the offense to that next level otherwise the status quo will the remain the same. Change has to come.

even if suh or McCoy fell to us, where would we play them? Admittedly some mocks have us getting McCoy at #4 and using him as a 3-4 end, however these are base 4-3 guys. That being said, if we still ran the 4-3 and this was true BPA, then we would have no choice, a combo of big Al and suh or McCoy would be fun to see.

In short, we can trade back at that point because these two DT's are seen as elite DT's, however neither one will be an asset in the 3-4. Terrence Cody is more of a true 3-4 Nose and can be had in rd 2, if we trade back. Find the right partner to dance and we could end up with

Bulaga

Staffold

Cody

Not bad for a day one haul, with the 4th and 5th rounds to address RB and Interior O-Line.

Maybe a Day 2 of

Hardesty/Tate/Blount/McKnight

Estes

Beadle

over all this woule be a nice haul for the draft.

I think that's an overstatement and I also think we can address positions like OT, OG, OC, and QB outside the first round. We'd be fools to pass on a once in a generation talent like Ndamukong Suh in favor of an offensive lineman when Shanahan is FAMOUS for building top lines out of mid round guys.

People needed to see this again.

I have no problem with going with one of the premiere DTs with #4, because a defensive line that is young and dominant is just as important as an OL.

While I know we need fortify our OL, if our scouts felt that Suh or McCoy would be fantastic and that Okung or any OL would be solid at best, I'd rather make that 4th overall count. While they might not be teh same quality, but a OT in the 2nd round isn't bad either. While not ideal, its a much better option than missing out on a once in a lifetime player.

There is no must pick position in this draft, despite our needs. We just need to turn this 4th overall pick into a star player.

Perhaps I should have expanded on my viewpoint. I AM NOT SAYING FORGET THE OLINE!!!!!!!!!!! I just think everyone agrees that this year we hope to be competitive but don't honestly think we will be making a run at the super bowl. So because of this...

Our Dline is getting older so I don't think adding one young playmaker will be a bad thing. It would shore up depth and we would be set for years to come. The 2nd and 3rd round picks could be used to draft OL. Bring in maybe one more OL through FA and we are starting to look like a competitive team. Then our young guys have had a full year of starting and we can go into next years draft looking to add depth and the QB of the future.

I would also think it is safe to assume that we will mostly be running a 4-3 in early downs and switch to the 3-4 to give new looks. Having both of those DT in the game will definitely keep 3 and longs. So then we can switch to the 3-4 and have our two DTs in the game (doesn't matter where you put them) with Orakpo, Carter, Jarmon bringing it and they just can't double everybody. Considering our DBs are middle of the pack in the NFL, this will greatly help their coverage skills since they will only need to keep up for a few seconds.

Archived