Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we must draft a DT with the #4 pick

doctorshockalu

I think sinking roughly 80 mil guaranteed (Big al's contract + what it will take to sign #4) might be a little Over the Top with all the other needs on this squad.

3-4 Nose Tackles dont need to be fast. Just need not to move. Or so I am told.

I really thought I had heard all the idiotic draft wants by so-called fans of the B&G but this one has to be the most IDIOTIC one of them all. Dont worry about the O-line we should shore up our D?! What are you smoking and can I hit it?! LOL A DT LMFAO!!

the problem with that is, if the redskin get a DT at 4, then its expected he will start at NT during the first day. SuH and McCoy are great DTs but I don't think there strength is in a 3-4 defense. Too much goes into a top 5 pick to select a player that will not fit into the team.

I don't think Suh or McCoy would be slated to play NT. They would be better off at DE in the 3:4. Philip Daniels will be 37 this coming season so it's not like the Skins have a long term solution at DE. You are right that a lot gets invested in a top 5 pick. I'd prefer to go OL but while there are many very good OLmen, none of them are projected to be "elite" players. On the other hand, both Suh and McCoy are projected to be "elite" players. If Okung is gone I don't know whether the Skins should go with Anthony Davis (character issues?). Bulaga may be too much of a reach.

Ideally, the Skins get to trade down and still pick the players they really want. Will there be a Skins Christmas in April?

I think sinking roughly 80 mil guaranteed (Big al's contract + what it will take to sign #4) might be a little Over the Top with all the other needs on this squad.

3-4 Nose Tackles dont need to be fast. Just need not to move. Or so I am told.

Why do you assume either of these two DTs would play NT?

Shanahan hasn't ever drafted a QB even in the 2nd round and only 4 QB's total in 14 years, so the argument that he "never had a choice" is silly and inaccurate.

He's had a HOF QB that landed on his lap, a 3rd round QB that he made a starter, a castoff QB that won 13 games for him and a 1st round QB whose legacy is uncertain. There is no connection to any of them other than Shanny made them all work.

Fell into his lap or not, the only QB that got him into the Superbowl was drafted #1 overall.

Actually Smart guy, it was at least 6 QBs that he drafted. Most were for backup positions when he had guys like Elway and Plumer starting, and when he *did* need to draft a QB to start he drafted Cutler at #11 over all.

You know for a guy who likes to talk down to people, you really aren't that smart.

http://www.theomfield.com/2010/02/sources-r-us-shanahan-eager-to-draft-qb.html

http://www.theomfield.com/2010/02/analysis-of-shanahans-draft-tendencies.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Cutler_%28American_football%29

Why do you assume either of these two DTs would play NT?

Good point, lets sink 80 mill into DE's. BRILLIANT!

I dont care where they play on the D line. Is it really a need for us right now?

Is our Defensive backfield, Offensive line or Offensive backfield NOT in dissaray right now? Wouldnt be nice to nail down just one of those glairing needs as opposed to doubling down on D line?

I really thought I had heard all the idiotic draft wants by so-called fans of the B&G but this one has to be the most IDIOTIC one of them all. Dont worry about the O-line we should shore up our D?! What are you smoking and can I hit it?! LOL A DT LMFAO!!

You can't pick Okung - assume he's gone. You can't chose to trade down if there are no takers. Assume no takers.

Do you take Davis with the #4 pick given his character issues? I'm not sure what these are or how serious.

Do you take Bulaga with the #4 pick when another team might take him at pick 16 or so?

Is Trent Williams the one that projects as a RT in the pros? If so, the 4th overall pick is too high for that position.

It's easy to say whom you would take if you can chose from 100% of the players in the draft. It's more difficult when the ones you really want have already been taken.

Good point, lets sink 80 mill into DE's. BRILLIANT!

I dont care where they play on the D line. Is it really a need for us right now?

Is our Defensive backfield, Offensive line or Offensive backfield NOT in dissaray right now? Wouldnt be nice to nail down just one of those glairing needs as opposed to doubling down on D line?

Snyder made a mistake in paying so much for AH - - what else is new? No, Dline is not really a need. BPA could trump need depending upon the position and difference in quality of players available.

I don't think the defensive backfield is in disarray (Skins have only lost Smoot). Offensive Line is a major problem but we don't know how Shanny has the OTs ranked. If he can't get a LT in the second round he should still be able to pick up a RT in the draft. Skins would have to wait for the long-term solution LT till next year (with lots of roll outs to the right this season). I wouldn't use a number 4 pick on a RB EVER.

McCoy imho is not worth the 4th pick - 23 reps from a DT thats not gonna cut it in the NFL....McCoy may be the next Glenn Dorsey...However, Suh is the real deal....We draft Spiller and everything else will fall into place.

23 reps won't cut it in the NFL? Someone should let Kevin Williams know that he should stop being the best 3-technique DT in the world because he didn't bench enough at the combine.

On the thread topic, it may not be ideal to draft a 3-4 DE this high, but McCoy would be the best player left on the board if it went Bradford - Okung - Suh. Putting McCoy at DE and Haynesworth at NT would give us the makings of a line to rival the Patriots combo of Seymour and Wilfork. As you may recall, that was a pretty effective duo for them.

So are we insinuating that McCoy will be the next Sapp???? I think not --- Players are much faster, and stronger these days....I personally think McCoy will be a bust...

He doesn't need to. Mike Mayock himself said McCoy compares to a mix between Tommie Harris and Warren Sapp in his game. McCoy is easily the best 3 technique prospect since Albert Haynesworth. Actually, he had much better college career than Haynesworth, he's probably a better prospect.

This is pretty much THE stereotypical, small-minded extreme skins post.

Last year a different of 7 points per game means the Skins go 10-6 instead of 4-12. In the history of the NFL, no defense has scored 7 points a game. Adding a single player to the current defense is not going to make a 7 points per game difference. Suh and McCoy are probably both going to be great DL, just like Sapp. But no single defensive player in the history of the game made 7 points a game difference in their careers.

The Oline is the offense. A good OLine will make that 7 points a game and then some. Drafting Suh or McCoy guarantees another losing season.

Not to mention the obvious. How many years do you plan on ignoring the OLine? We have 5 picks, not 7. With the one free agent pickup and re-signing an undersized, aging center in Rabach, and keeping Dockery, there are still major holes to fill. Franchise left tackles are not found in the 4th, 5th and 7th rounds and only occasionally in the second round. But the OT that protects the QB's blind-side is almost as important as the QB himself. Vinny and Dan let the OLine disintegrate through neglect over the last 10 years and the Skins offense paid the price and you would let that continue.

The SKins drafted nothing but D last year and the team ended up with half as many wins as the year before. Yet you want the best of the draft to go to the D again. That's just foolish. I could see a QB. I can hope for OL. But drafting D again is just a sure way to lose. It's time to have an offense.

This is pretty much THE stereotypical, small-minded extreme skins post.

Seriously.

It's like the "in" thing to do nowadays to go on and on and on about offensive linemen.

Everyone knows we need OL. You don't have to be a genius to see it. It blows my mind that people think we should ignore almost every other position because we need some offensive linemen.

Last year a different of 7 points per game means the Skins go 10-6 instead of 4-12. In the history of the NFL, no defense has scored 7 points a game. Adding a single player to the current defense is not going to make a 7 points per game difference. Suh and McCoy are probably both going to be great DL, just like Sapp. But no single defensive player in the history of the game made 7 points a game difference in their careers.

The Oline is the offense. A good OLine will make that 7 points a game and then some. Drafting Suh or McCoy guarantees another losing season.

Not to mention the obvious. How many years do you plan on ignoring the OLine? We have 5 picks, not 7. With the one free agent pickup and re-signing an undersized, aging center in Rabach, and keeping Dockery, there are still major holes to fill. Franchise left tackles are not found in the 4th, 5th and 7th rounds and only occasionally in the second round. But the OT that protects the QB's blind-side is almost as important as the QB himself. Vinny and Dan let the OLine disintegrate through neglect over the last 10 years and the Skins offense paid the price and you would let that continue.

The SKins drafted nothing but D last year and the team ended up with half as many wins as the year before. Yet you want the best of the draft to go to the D again. That's just foolish. I could see a QB. I can hope for OL. But drafting D again is just a sure way to lose. It's time to have an offense.

What if they don't think any of the other OL other than Okung are good enough to be taken #4?

I was thinking we should draft a TE and lock up that position. If we just bite the bullet and draft Jermaine Gresham at #4, we'd have him, Cooley and Davis and wouldn't have to worry about that position if any one has to miss any time due to injury. Then next season we can focus on the offensive line, QB and RB.

:drooley: I love the sarcasm!!...at least I hope you are being sarcastic.

Snyder made a mistake in paying so much for AH - - what else is new? No, Dline is not really a need. BPA could trump need depending upon the position and difference in quality of players available.

I don't think the defensive backfield is in disarray (Skins have only lost Smoot). Offensive Line is a major problem but we don't know how Shanny has the OTs ranked. If he can't get a LT in the second round he should still be able to pick up a RT in the draft. Skins would have to wait for the long-term solution LT till next year (with lots of roll outs to the right this season). I wouldn't use a number 4 pick on a RB EVER.

With the size contracts that Peppers, Dansby and Demarcus Ware got it seems we paid what an impact players gets these days in the NFL. So I would disagree we overpaid for Big Al.

I really think we have a hole at Safety and CB with the expected departure of Los (which I want to happen) and the ghosting of Landry. I think our need at OL is self explainatory and between our QB and RB situations we could sink that #4 into any one of these holes before we drop it into our D line.

Uh, I'm all for picking up an NT, but neither McCoy or Suh are NTs, they're too small, by about 30 pounds. The average NT is about 330, both of these guys are approx 300. I'm not normally picky about size, but 30 pounds is A LOT.

Not to mention, I think going defense with our first pick is probably the worst idea we could possibly have, unless we trade down and get 2 first rounders, and even then, I'd like to actually watch an offensive line and a QB next season, rather than whatever slop we had on field this year was.

I find drafting defense with #4 nearly as repulsive as sleeping with a goat.........I might give the goat the edge, but it would be darn close.

What if they don't think any of the other OL other than Okung are good enough to be taken #4?

I'm assuming you're saying we can't trade down, Okung and Bradford are gone? In that situation then, we should pick Suh, then trade all our picks for the next draft to move up and take McCoy and move both of them to the OL...........or safety.

Great idea, lets keep ignoring the O-line. Brilliant. Our defense has been great for years while we ignored the O-line. Did that get us anywhere? And you want to keep doing that?

Exactly. I'm so tired of watching offenses like the Colts and the Pats and thinking "Why can't we do that?" all the time. Defenses may "win championships", but they're only half the story. I'd like this team to be known for a dominant offense, as well as a defense and the only way that's possible is if they can protect the QB so he can get the ball down the field.

So are we insinuating that McCoy will be the next Sapp???? I think not --- Players are much faster, and stronger these days....I personally think McCoy will be a bust...

LOL get a clue, if you are going to say that 23 reps of 225 is too weak for dt and someone shows that a RECENT hall of famer did less (I think Sapp did 17 or 18) then at least know what you are arguing, neither Sapp nor Mcoy bases or based their game on pure strength, neither is a stand in there guy who will two gap, both are quick off the ball and use quickness and technique.

as far as him being the next sapp who knows, but its not as though he is as likely to bust as you seem to think.

Absolutely not. I'm not against BPA if they fill a need or make your team that much better, but we certainly don't "have" to or "must" Draft a d lineman or defense. The offensive line has been neglected far too long, and it won't mater what QB or RB is back there they won't get squat accomplished until the Oline improves.

Suh could absolutely play DE in a 3-4. He's very versatile. If he's available at four, I'd have no problem with trading down for the right offer. But, if the right offer doesn't come along, then I'd have no problem with them taking him if he is cleared medically.

I'm not sure about McCoy. I've never seen him play.

McCoy is a baller. His game is more like a Warren Sapp or John Randle.

Exactly. I'm so tired of watching offenses like the Colts and the Pats and thinking "Why can't we do that?" all the time. Defenses may "win championships", but they're only half the story. I'd like this team to be known for a dominant offense, as well as a defense and the only way that's possible is if they can protect the QB so he can get the ball down the field.

And I'm tired of people thinking that if we don't draft a LT at 4, then there is no way we can upgrade our line.

You know how many 1st round o-linemen started in this years super bowl? 0

Last year? 1

2008? 1

2007? 3, none of which are on their respective teams anymore and all of which are over 30.

Lines, for the most part, are built in the mid-late rounds. The concept that you need a 1st round LT before you get a franchise QB is a joke. We have had a elite LT for the past 10 years and it has done absolutely nothing for us.

Archived