Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worrisome Draft Scenario: Bradford, Okung, Suh are gone, who do we take with 4th overall pick?

killerbee99

I really don't like clausen at 4, McCoy is who I'd lean to as of right now, absent a trade down, maybe its time to pull a rabbit out of the hat and select another OT.. heck if we did that, maybe it would start a run on OT in the first and we could trade our first next year plus our second to move back in later to grab Clausen if we really want him.

I do believe though that if you are in this position you take the best player on your board. Who would that be? no idea.

If WE take Eric Berry, some one would be fired, we can not keep drafting Safeties in the top 10 pick over and over, bcos we consistently get burned and it really would not make any sense, now if we do take Eric Berry, I wouldn't be too upset, but I won't be happy at the same time.

How did we get burned? Taylor died, and Landry would be an incredible strong safety if it wasn't for the fact he's better at FS than anyone else on the team.

Assuming we can't trade back, you take the best guy on the board. Don't know what Shanny's board looks like at this point, but according to my board, you take Gerald McCoy and rest well knowing we now have probably the best defensive front 7 in the league.

Although Clausen likely won't be available in round 2, Tebow and Colt McCoy probably will, as well as a handful of quality tackles.

Skins had a lot invested in the 4:3 Dline at the DE position with Orakpo and Jarmon. But both of these players are potentially going to be counted as OLB in a 3:4 scheme. Haynesworth may be with the Skins for only 2 more years based upon his salary structure. Keep in mind that some of the other DT/DEs on the team while potentially productive are OLD. A good long-term elite DT that can play DE in the 3:4 would be a good idea.

The rankings for these different players are always a crap shoot. But you have to base your decision on some sort of evaluation. So, do you take a potential "elite DT" over a good OT? Do you take either of these over an "elite" safety. IMO, DT and OT trump safety. Even with the dire need on the OL, Shanahan has prospered finding OLmen in the lower rounds that may have less overall talent but are superior in the ZBS. So, I would take McCoy if I could not trade down.

I agree with the Tebow pick.

Flame away, ladies! :pfft:

Agree with the Tebow pick as well, just not in the first round. Pick Berry and ES self combusts, trade down if possible and get additional picks. Take Clausen or Tebow if possible later down the board. This team needs two starting tackles and you want to reach for Tebow. Heck he would have to be a RB with that line, so yeah in a strange way that may work.

I personally think we should take whoever the highest rated player on our board is at that point, which I hope is going to be Bulaga or another lineman. I would not be disappointed if it is Gerald McCoy or Berry though.

Also, I know it is hard to trade down, and this scenario is a "we can't trade down" scenario, and that is fine. But we would be able to get someone to bite if we say we'll trade from 4th to 7th or 8th and only ask for a 3rd in return. If the highest rated player on our board will still be there at 8, why not pick up a mid round pick and save a few bucks too. We don't HAVE to ask for a high 2nd or anything.

I have a question for a whoever wants to answer. The DE in a 3-4 is compared to a DT in a 4-3. He needs to block the run and get penetration just like a good 4-3 DT. So wouldn't McCoy be a beast DE in a 3-4? Doesn't he have the burst to rush the passer but the stoutness to defend the run from 3-4 DE? Imagine lining up McCoy, whoever our nose tackle is (Golston, Montgomery) and Haynesworth as our front 3. Is that ridiculous or does it make sense?

Archived