Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nats Thread

Jofizz

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100501&content_id=9716014&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Strasburg ticketed for Triple-A

Phenom likely to make final Double-A start Sunday

NEW YORK -- After Sunday's game against Double-A Altoona, Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg will be a step closer to the big leagues. According to a source in the Nationals organization, Strasburg is expected to be promoted to Triple-A Syracuse provided the weather is good for Sunday's game and he dominates on the mound.

The Nationals have not confirmed that Strasburg, the No.1 overall pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, will be promoted after his Sunday start. Strasburg will pitch five innings or throw 85 pitches for Double-A Harrisburg.

Once the promotion is announced, Strasburg could pitch against Triple-A Gwinnett late next week.

General manager Mike Rizzo was not available for comment, but said Wednesday that Strasburg will eventually go to Triple-A Syracuse. Strasburg has been dominant for Harrisburg, allowing one run in 17 1/3 innings and striking out 23.

"As he progresses, he is going to go to Syracuse and is going to pitch there until we deem he is ready to go to the next level," Rizzo said. "It's reasonable to assume he is going to be in Syracuse sometime soon.

"He is doing everything we thought he would do and more. He seems to get better and better and stronger and stronger each start."

the Nats future closer made his debut in triple-A

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2010/5/1/1453591/washington-nationals-prospect

• Triple-A: After catching connecting flights to catch up with the Syracuse Chiefs on the road in Toledo, Ohio where they were finishing up a four-game set with the Triple-A Mud Hens, (the top affiliate of the Detroit Tigers), Drew Storen, the Nats' second '09 1st Round pick, made his debut above Double-A ball with a 1.2 inning outing in which he threw 21 pitches, 16 for strikes, allowed 3 hits, recorded 1 K and held the Chiefs' 2-0 lead in what ends up a 2-1 win. Called upon in the bottom of the seventh, Storen gave up back-to-back one-out singles before striking out Mud Hens' outfielder Clete Thomas and drawing a grounder the Chiefs' catcher handled out of Toledo's Mike Rabelo to end the seventh with the score still 2-0 Syracuse. After surrendering a leadoff single in the eighth, Storen recorded two outs before he was replaced on the mound by lefty Doug Slaten who got the final out of the frame. In 8 appearances and 11.0 innings pitched this season, Storen's now given up 8 hits, 1 ER and 1 walk while recording 11 K's and holding opponents to a .161 AVG.

So the rotation is looking like this after June/July once Strasberg is called up.

Livan H.

Wang(after he's off the DL)

Olsen

Strasberg

Stammen

Lannan

But I bet they treat Strasberg like Joba Chamberlin and Price in Tampa Bay. I can live with this rotation. Marquis should not even start anymore.

So the rotation is looking like this after June/July once Strasberg is called up.

Livan H.

Wang(after he's off the DL)

Olsen

Strasberg

Stammen

Lannan

But I bet they treat Strasberg like Joba Chamberlin and Price in Tampa Bay. I can live with this rotation. Marquis should not even start anymore.

That's a six man rotation. And frankly, I would like to see Detwiler in it also.

This is weird, but the Nats have a ton of starting pitching when Strasburg and Wang arrive. Don't forget that in 2011 Jay-Z will be back. In June, I'd like to see a rotation of:

Strasburg

Wang

Lannan

Stammen

Detwiler.

How did this happen?

Also.... Aaron Thompson is pretty much dominating AA.

detwiler hasnt showed anything in the majors. You have to keep Livo in the rotation until he faulters. Next season our big 3 are strasberg, zimmerman and lannan.. Thats gonna be sick!

I really hope Jordan Zimmermann can return to full strength and pitch well next year, but it's never a given with Tommy John surgery (don't count chickens b4 they hatch moral).

detwiler hasnt showed anything in the majors. You have to keep Livo in the rotation until he faulters. Next season our big 3 are strasberg, zimmerman and lannan.. Thats gonna be sick!

That's what weirds me out with a lot of these projections. We should at least be relying upon guys who have shown some consistent stuff in the majors, not a lower league. I'll trust in Detwiler when I see him consistently pitch against guys who are making a couple million per year.

Livan "Cy" Hernandez would like to speak to you.....

Lol, yup. Livan has been off that charts ridiculous.

You guys are forgetting Marquis. If he can get back to half of what we expected from him coming in, we've got one hell of a rotation plus a ton of depth.

I don't think the problem is that we're forgetting Marquis. It's that we're remembering him. Dude has been AWFUL this year. Possibly the worst starting pitcher in Nats history. Maybe he can turn it around though. Who knows.

Lol, yup. Livan has been off that charts ridiculous.

I don't think the problem is that we're forgetting Marquis. It's that we're remembering him. Dude has been AWFUL this year. Possibly the worst starting pitcher in Nats history. Maybe he can turn it around though. Who knows.

I'm assuming he can. If not it will be EXTREMELY disappointing. I'm hoping his issue is just dealing with some sort of injury, or just not quite having his game ready to go after spring training. I fully expect him to get back up to speed eventually.

Considering we have a 38-year-old as our starting catcher (future HOFer or not) Harper seems like the perfect fit. I know he's tearing it up at his JUCO.

I wouldn't mind Harper, but lets not forget about Jesus Flores just yet. He has shown that he can be a great catcher on both sides of the ball when he is healthy. We will see what comes of him later this season.

I wouldn't mind Harper, but lets not forget about Jesus Flores just yet. He has shown that he can be a great catcher on both sides of the ball when he is healthy. We will see what comes of him later this season.

Also read something today about another catcher we're grooming in the minors, can't remember his name though. The article sounded like he could be something special in a few years.

Also read something today about another catcher we're grooming in the minors, can't remember his name though. The article sounded like he could be something special in a few years.

you can never have enough quality catchers in your farm system. even if they dont have a role on the big-league team, they can be dealt for some nice pieces.

Archived