Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per John Clayton: Redskins to put 1st and 3rd round tender on Campbell (MET)

MAATopDogg

From where does the assumption that a trade for JC would happen before the draft come?

1 first and a 3rd could be next years if the trade/contract happened after the draft couldn't it? Again, it may not be that much either. I suspect JC is movable, but I also think many of the teams who might be interested would rather wait and see if a QB they want falls to them in the draft.

Not really it's a whole new learning curve for the guy again. Yet, a new coach and a new system -- even though it's still the west coast offense. His time has come and gone and it's not his fault. Three coaches now in four years. Plus, he still has not really distinguished himself as someone to heavily invest in at this point with a new coach coming in that did not hand pick him. Certainly not in the last year of his contract.

I think in Jason's best interest he needs a new start as well. I would not be surprised if he's moved for a mid round pick. Particularly if we take a quarterback in round one or two. That quarterback will be the future. Colt, has some room to grow and could be groomed by Shanny as well. Probably even more so then Jason at this point. Of course, this is all my speculation.

You didn't answer the question though.

Wouldn't it be worth giving Campbell 1 year under better circumstances if the end result could be QB above 15th in the NFL?

Why isn't it worth it to see how Jason (the ranked 15th in league last year under sub-standard conditions) would perform under better circumstances?

Its the only logical thing to do.

Mark Bulger just cleaned out his locker today.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/bulger-cleans-out-locker-rams-may-trade-for-vick-or-cambell/

Maybe they make a play for Campbell or pick Bradford #1.

Very interesting, but I doubt if we picked Bradford, Shanahan would start him right away. So, who would start? Brennan? I wonder how Shanahan feels about Colt Brenan?

It allows the Redskins the option to negotiate a trade for him if a team is interested. No team is going to give up a first and third for Campbell. However, we may get a third or fourth round pick for him. Or, keep him. It gives us total leverage. Smart move.
Very very true. I totally agree with you.

If you had a full understanding of the flaws in Jason Campbell's game, then you would realize that viewing him as a potential franchise QB after 5 seasons is a questionable proposition.

Even though his stats have improved every year, if you examine his skillset, he's not that different on a fundamental level from 2007 JC - he's gone from having kinda good short-medium accuracy to having pretty good short-medium accuracy, he's gone from having absolutely atrocious decision-making to mediocre at best decision-making, he's gone from absolutely atrocious pocket presence to...absolutely atrocious pocket presence, and he's gone from being a terrible deep ball passer to being an absolutely terrible deep ball passer.

Essentially, above average in one area, mediocre in most aspects of his game, bad in a few.

The problem isn't that Campbell is inconsistent, the problem is that he's inconsistent in year 5. You know what quarterbacks are inconsistent in year 5?Generally, QBs that should be backups.

You also have to keep in mind that the Zorn system was originally tailored to mask his weaknesses and emphasize his strengths - we weren't going deep even when the line was playing great (Cooley #8 in 2008 in YAC, Moss #12 and YAC constituted more than half of their total yardage). Also keep in mind that last season Campbell was ASKED to make more plays because of the situation he was in, and while he delivered to an extent, he was forced to forsake his excellent proficiency at protecting the football.

And then, the multiple systems argument actually works against the JC supporter - we're changing systems again! So that will mean at least one more season of development time while he gets acclimated. Yes, it's still the WCO, but seeing that he hasn't seamlessly transitioned between systems, why should we expect different this time around? I will note that the JC supporters have completely dropped the multiple systems angle when it came to projecting his success after another system change, after using it to justify his poor play before.

He's fixed one of the more glaring weaknesses he had - he went from disgustingly bad inside the red zone to pretty above-average - but he's really bad scoring outside the 20s, so yeah. He's also created more deep passing than he used to (no Redskins in the top 40 in YAC). So he has improved. But I seriously question whether he can be "that guy" - a guy that competes at least with the Schaubs, Rodgers, McNabbs, and Elis of the world (i.e, 25-30 TDs, 8-12 INTs, 4000+ yards, 7.5 ypc, 1-3 4Q comebacks - a franchise QB that isn't quite at the lofty heights occupied by (Peyton) Manning, Brees and Brady).

I do think he can put up better stats if we had a lights-out running game that regularly got the team inside the 20 (where he is good) - but that's not a franchise QB. That's Brad Johnson, who had a big year when Davis was at his best. That may be enough for you. As for me, I don't want to have the most important position be a product of the system. Because guess what? You can't keep a dominant line together forever. Running backs can fall off the map just like that. Injuries happen.

That is why you need the quarterback to be a rock of stability that you can rest the hopes of your franchise on. Because that is the only such rock you will ever get in the NFL.

Would anybody want him for a 1st? He may have improved his trade value this past year. This is considered a weak draft for QB's and free agency looks pretty thin as well. I highly doubt it but I can dream.

I can tell you right now that he will NOT warrant a first round draft pick from any other team. You have to know for a fact that even the most desperate teams have been watching him and he will demand nothing more than a third round pick at best.

You can probably use that phrase on at least half the players on the team though. lol

Actually, you can say about all players on this team. :)

I don't see anyone on this team that can be labeled "indespensible'.

With Shanahan and Allen even bringing in competition for long snapper, I don't think they do either. :)

However, that doesn't mean I hold every player in the same regard.

IOW, I don't hold the blocking TE as equally responsible for the woes on offense as I do the QB. I hold the QB, who handles the ball on every play, more responsible.

A first round QB.

Who has been here FIVE years (playing in 3+ of them), and has shown NOTHING). Whose weaknesses and shortcomings are glaringly obvious week in and week out during the season.

To put it simply, Jason Campbell has been the (sadly uncontested) status quo around these parts for about 3+ years.

And as GM Allen said... "The status quo is unacceptable".

Campbell needs to show some attitude period. Look at all the great quarterbacks they have IN THE LEAGUE. THEY HAVE that look on their face THAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING AND IF THEY DONT THEY WILL NEXT POSSESION. He needs to be more clutch and not some timid douche. I still have faith in him, but if they can get a number 2 and 3 in the draft then pull the trigger...

Actually, Clayton said the Reskins are "expected" to tender JC. "Expected" and "will" are very different.

There'd be no reason for them not to.

They are either going to have to:

1. tender him

2. give him a longer term deal

3. simply release him outright

2 and 3 don't seem likely. :) So tendering him seems the option.

There'd be no reason for them not to.

They are either going to have to:

1. tender him

2. give him a longer term deal

3. simply release him outright

2 and 3 don't seem likely. :) So tendering him seems the option.

Oh, I'm not disputing that, nor am I disputing that we probably will tender him. It's just that Clayton did not say that we definitely were going to like it was a deal in the works. I was just trying to pass on what was said on ESPN last night, that's all.

I think this just means the Redskins want Campbell for one more year. IMHO I think they keep Jason this year, and focus on the OL. The OL will take more than one year to fix, so they basically are using Jason to take a beating until next year, when they can patch it some more and maybe start someone new. If the Rams don't take Bradford, we probably end up with him, otherwise, we get a QB later in this years draft, or next year.

Like someone else asked, what does Shanahan think of Brennan? If anything, I think Brees success may have given Brennan a little more stock.

Oh, I'm not disputing that, nor am I disputing that we probably will tender him. It's just that Clayton did not say that we definitely were going to like it was a deal in the works. I was just trying to pass on what was said on ESPN last night, that's all.

Oh, ok.cool. :cheers:

This situation seems a bit familiar.

When Snyder bought the team we had a guy by the name of Trent Green who turned out to be a pretty solid QB, but was let go in FA, and we've been beating our selves up trying to find one since.

When Gibbs came in Ramsey was basically assumed to be gone too so I can see it happening with JC.

I think this just means the Redskins want Campbell for one more year. IMHO I think they keep Jason this year, and focus on the OL. The OL will take more than one year to fix, so they basically are using Jason to take a beating until next year, when they can patch it some more and maybe start someone new. If the Rams don't take Bradford, we probably end up with him, otherwise, we get a QB later in this years draft, or next year.

Like someone else asked, what does Shanahan think of Brennan? If anything, I think Brees success may have given Brennan a little more stock.

The scenario you put forth is possible, but will Shanahan be happy with that?

If Campbell is the QB we critics think he is, it may only be one season, but it is a LOOOOONG 16-game season. Will Shanahan, who wants to shake things up here, and Allen who has already lamented the status quo, drudge through that?

I don't think so.

I think this just means the Redskins want Campbell for one more year.

I think this will be very awkward for all concerned. Won't happen. Jason gets traded or released. The latter is more likely ... he is not highly regarded around the league and no team is foolish enough to give up Draft choices for him.

I think this will be very awkward for all concerned. Won't happen. Jason gets traded or released. The latter is more likely ... he is not highly regarded around the league and no team is foolish enough to give up Draft choices for him.

Which is why we are fastly approaching FA and no deal has been offered yet. IMHO, the team is still trying to get a gage on what JC's overall worth is around the league. They want to know whether or not they will get anything worth their likings for him before they tender him. If not, they'll just let him walk.

When Snyder bought the team we had a guy by the name of Trent Green who turned out to be a pretty solid QB, but was let go in FA, and we've been beating our selves up trying to find one since.

When Gibbs came in Ramsey was basically assumed to be gone too so I can see it happening with JC.

Uh

History lesson.

We WANTED to sign Trent Green. We COULDNT sign Trent Green because of NFL rules preventing FAs from signing until the ownership situation was settled.

He signs with the Rams, the rest is history. By the time Snyder came aboard, we had already sold the farm to get Brad Johnson, so we couldn't very well reacquire Trent Green after Johnson had a Pro Bowl season.

Snyder didn't take control of the team until July 1999

Green left and signed with the Rams because of the cloudy ownership situation in March of 1999.

The team badly wanted to keep him (and he was cheap too, only 4 years 16 million with the Rams) b ut were unable to.

Snyder had nothing to do with Trent Green

Do any of you remember just last OFFSEASON, when no one around the League wanted Campbell then??????? How the Broncos took Kyle Orton over Campbell in the Cutler trade which also included 2 first round picks going to the Broncos to boot!!!! Or how they couldn't include him in the deal with CLEVELAND for the 5th pick when we were trying to get Sanchez?????? It BLOWS MY MIND how some people on here honestly think that we could get as high as 2nd round pick for Campbell.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! I mean, are you people for real?????? We'd be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him.....some of you are just delusional if you think otherwise!!!!

Archived