Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per John Clayton: Redskins to put 1st and 3rd round tender on Campbell (MET)

MAATopDogg

well be a gambling man. do you think mike shanahan is going to hitch his wagon as redskins head coach to the jason campbell train?

if i was a betting man, id bet all my money on no.

Like that matters. Everyone knows your agenda and how you think you know everything about this. I dont pretend I know what he and Bruce Allen are going to do. I know you think you do, even if your reasoning is seriously flawed. It really doesnt matter what you, I or anyone else thinks in the end however. If JC goes, he goes. If he remains with the team and is a starter for one year while the QB we drafted @#4 sits, great. If we dont draft a QB untill the 4th round and that guy beats him our in TC, great. If he ends up starting and playing well behind a revamped OL, great. I just want the Redskins to make the moves that will most help the football team, that is it. I dont have some deranged agenda like some people around here.

So continue to :beatdeadhorse: as usual. :silly:

but hes right. even if you like jason you cant possibly think hes a legitimate future QB for this organization, so why would shanahan tread water with him for one year? why waste all that time pouring your playbook and things into a guy if hes only a one year stop gap?

unless you can say with a straight face that jason is worth keeping around for 5 more years.......

Because he might be more then a one year stop gap if he can play at high enough level to warrant Shanahan sticking with him.

Wouldn't it be worth giving Campbell 1 year under better circumstances if the end result could be QB above 15th in the NFL?

Getting rid of Campbell before seeing him in Shanahan's offense is like folding before the flop after you've already paid into the pot.

get rid of JC now, not even one more year. Get a team dumb enough to trade for him and get whatever you can. I'm hoping we can get Buffalo's 2nd round pick that would be the best value I think we could get while also being realistic about it.

Get JC out of town now.

Draft a QB and maybe bring in a vet as a stopgap for a year or two if rookie QB_*hopefully Bradford" is not ready to start out of the gate.

Wouldn't it be worth giving Campbell 1 year under better circumstances if the end result could be QB above 15th in the NFL?

Getting rid of Campbell before seeing him in Shanahan's offense is like folding before the flop after you've already paid into the pot.

but we have already gone this route before. give him another year, give him another year, excuse, excuse, and so on.

he had his chance last year and has had plenty of chances as a qb who has never had to earn his starting position.

he has not impressed me enough to be the qb of the future and we all know his adjustments to new coaching staffs are slow.

Yes, and the best way to do that is to trade down and get 3 day one picks and possibly another mid round pick.

I love how people just think we can just snap our fingers and trade down from the #4 spot like it's nothing. There's no gurantee that there will be a team willing to trade up with us. And even then, it has to be a deal that makes since to the Skins to.

I would think not either, at least not a 1st and a 3rd, but then again he is the best FA available, restricted or not, so who knows.

Yeah, plus there's always that chance that there is a team out there who believes that they can surround JC with better talent. A better oline, better, RB, or WRs. One mans garbage is sometimes another mans gold.

Hasn't JC been given a chance to pick up a new offense 7 out of the past 9 seasons including college? That's severely messed up, but that means it's also not his first rodeo...shouldn't he be better at adjusting to change by now?

I just want to see W's in the game results column...period. My only issue with JC is if he doesn't make the grand strides that some think he will, do we continue this debate again next year or the year after that if he's still around? Whether he's here or gone, I just want this debate over with...when the fan base bickers back and forth about the starting QB being here or not, that's not a good place to be. Kinda feels like we are in the purgatory of the sports world.

Maybe ship Fred Davis for a 2nd and we could have ourselves a draft.. Davis is better than any TE coming out this year

Jermaine Gresham is an absolute stud, barring a full recovery, so I disagree that "Davis is better than any TE coming out this year," but even still, why trade away a guy that has shown improvement and endless potential who you drafted in the 2nd round for equal compensation only 2 years later?

Like that matters. Everyone knows your agenda and how you think you know everything about this. I dont pretend I know what he and Bruce Allen are going to do. I know you think you do, even if your reasoning is seriously flawed. It really doesnt matter what you, I or anyone else thinks in the end however. If JC goes, he goes. If he remains with the team and is a starter for one year while the QB we drafted @#4 sits, great. If we dont draft a QB untill the 4th round and that guy beats him our in TC, great. If he ends up starting and playing well behind a revamped OL, great. I just want the Redskins to make the moves that will most help the football team, that is it. I dont have some deranged agenda like some people around here.

So continue to :beatdeadhorse: as usual. :silly:

:owned:.. great post. it's about time i actually agree with someone's opinion. bettering the team, rather than having some agenda. Man.. let's be best friends.

Because he might be more then a one year stop gap if he can play at high enough level to warrant Shanahan sticking with him.

Not really it's a whole new learning curve for the guy again. Yet, a new coach and a new system -- even though it's still the west coast offense. His time has come and gone and it's not his fault. Three coaches now in four years. Plus, he still has not really distinguished himself as someone to heavily invest in at this point with a new coach coming in that did not hand pick him. Certainly not in the last year of his contract.

I think in Jason's best interest he needs a new start as well. I would not be surprised if he's moved for a mid round pick. Particularly if we take a quarterback in round one or two. That quarterback will be the future. Colt, has some room to grow and could be groomed by Shanny as well. Probably even more so then Jason at this point. Of course, this is all my speculation.

get rid of JC now, not even one more year. Get a team dumb enough to trade for him and get whatever you can. I'm hoping we can get Buffalo's 2nd round pick that would be the best value I think we could get while also being realistic about it.

Get JC out of town now.

Draft a QB and maybe bring in a vet as a stopgap for a year or two if rookie QB_*hopefully Bradford" is not ready to start out of the gate.

Throwing any rookie QB behind our OL that very well could have 4 new starters isn't the best situation. And what vet QBs are you looking for? This is one of the weakest markets of FA QBs in recent memory. You have (turning) 34 yr-old noodle-arm Pennington or a complete cast of even bigger draft busts in Boller, Carr, Grossman, Harrington, etc.

Simply by default, JC staying one more year is in the best interest of the team. Now if we get a good offer, by all means we should take it if he's not going to be the future. But I think Shanahan will give him a shot. Only teams that would trade for a vet QB are teams that are close to the playoff hunt. Most have their situations in control. I don't see a large market for Campbell in terms of a team being forced to give up picks.

Throwing any rookie QB behind our OL that very well could have 4 new starters isn't the best situation. And what vet QBs are you looking for? This is one of the weakest markets of FA QBs in recent memory. You have (turning) 34 yr-old noodle-arm Pennington or a complete cast of even bigger draft busts in Boller, Carr, Grossman, Harrington, etc.

Simply by default, JC staying one more year is in the best interest of the team. Now if we get a good offer, by all means we should take it if he's not going to be the future. But I think Shanahan will give him a shot. Only teams that would trade for a vet QB are teams that are close to the playoff hunt. Most have their situations in control. I don't see a large market for Campbell in terms of a team being forced to give up picks.

Shanny could make a play for a vet to start immediately. I would go for Davis one and Lefevour two. Pick up two more additional offensive lineman in the mid rounds as well. And, perhaps move Jason for a mid round pick.

Get JC out of town now.

Yea, but when your holdong 7-2 off suit you may just save yourself money by not getting involved in the pot to begin with, unfortunatly to many want to call a big raise with the worst hand in hold'em.

JC is our very own 7-2.:)

IMO, Fred Davis is legit and we should keep him. He is 10x more athletic than Chris Cooley. I know I know, everyone loves Cooley and as Joe Gibbs would say he is a core Redskins.....but we need youth, not get rid of it. We have to do everything in the best interest of the Washington Redskins.

Chris Cooley is 27 - he is a pro bowl level player in his prime. We need more of those on our roster not less.

I get we could use picks to get players at positions of greater need but you are giving up a known commodity for a player who may or may not even make your roster. Pass.

As to Campbell and who might be interested there is a thread in the News Section about Buffalo shipping Donte Whitner to us in a trade. Its just a rumor but maybe the dots lead to a swap for Campbell?

I would think anything like that would only go down after the draft if we have picked up a QB in the first or if we have decided we are going to sign a guy like Bulger if/when he is released by the Rams.

:owned:.. great post. it's about time i actually agree with someone's opinion. bettering the team, rather than having some agenda. Man.. let's be best friends.

Unless that agenda IS the betterment of the team.

Which removing Campbell from the starting spot will put the team on the road to accompishing.

What are the consequences of trading him? The team will end up 4-12 without him?

Please. :rolleyes:

Been there, done that with him.

Tendering Campbell doesn't mean the Redskins want to trade him, but it does mean they have NO faith in him right now, as they are not offering him a 4-5 year contract to stick around.

Nor should they. Hopefully, some team bites, and both Campbell and the Redskins can move on.

Because we don't need him.

Or looked at another way we have two excellent pass catching TE's giving our coaching staff the opportunity to design plays which take advanatge of this creating mismatches and helping our passing attack become more diverse. Especially on 1st down, 3rd down and medium and in the redzone.

So this has to mean he's going to be a redskins next season right?? Even if a team does decide to talk with the skins about picks, what team would come forward?? Especially with this draft that has some pretty good prospects at QB

What draft are you watching Soup? This is a talent thin draft at QB. Bradford is currently the only lock for 1st round. That doesn't mean there's won't be any more 1str rounders as the combine comes and goes, but there's no way this is a deep QB draft if we are weeks away from the combine and there's only 1 first round graded QB (who has a major health flag).

Or looked at another way we have two excellent pass catching TE's giving our coaching staff the opportunity to design plays which take advanatge of this creating mismatches and helping our passing attack become more diverse. Especially on 1st down, 3rd down and medium and in the redzone.

I'm aware of that, but that's never going to happen or reach it's full potential until we upgrade the OL. Until we get five OL that can block it's a pipe dream and nothing more IMO. I like Davis too, but I would not hesitate to move him if it meant giving us an opportunity to upgrade other areas with more priority.

Archived