Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per John Clayton: Redskins to put 1st and 3rd round tender on Campbell (MET)

MAATopDogg

Cutler is a playmaker - that's the biggest advantage he has over Campbell. However, his mechanics are pretty inconsistent even after 3 years with Shanny, and his decision-making is often atrocious.

Jim Zorn could have done wonders with him though, as those are the parts of Campbell's game (compare Campbell's 2007 mechanics to his 2009 mechanics - they're still inconsistent at times, and it took a lot of work for them to improve, but in 2007 he was just ick) that have improved the most under Zorn's tenure.

First year in a new offense and with the receiving corp he was working with?

Think about it.

Like I have said before Cutler is a brat but a very talented brat with a huge upside.

I've always believed in Cutler's talent, but now I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't a little bit of a perfect storm of coaching and talent around him. With Shanahan and Marshall, he shined. Without them, he didn't. Now that't totally understandable, and I predicted that like many others did. But 26 INT's is a lot, even in his situation in Chicago.

First year in a new offense and with the receiving corp he was working with?

Think about it.

Like I have said before Cutler is a brat but a very talented brat with a huge upside.

Talented? Certainly.

The upside bit remains to be proven. Was what he did in Denver his ceiling and he needs that talented supporting cast and a coaching that he had to be successful? Or can he do what Chicago hope and raise the level of a an average supporting cast?

Regardless its hard to win when you throw as many plain bad interceptions as Cutler did last year. Its not just the number its the nature of them which raise such huge question marks IMO. I dont care what offense you are in or who your receivers are there are too many bad reads, bad decisions and bad throws for a guy you gave up two 1st round picks and more for.

I've always believed in Cutler's talent, but now I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't a little bit of a perfect storm of coaching and talent around him. With Shanahan and Marshall, he shined. Without them, he didn't. Now that't totally understandable, and I predicted that like many others did. But 26 INT's is a lot, even in his situation in Chicago.

I agree and haven't done the game comparison on how weather could have affected the passing game because no matter what some say it plays a BIG part. Maybe just maybe in his 8 home games in the "windy city" not to mention way under 5,000 feet sea level he had a little learning to do.

With Martz he lights it up this year easily and hopefully they get him a legit #1 to throw to.

I agree and haven't done the game comparison on how weather could have affected the passing game because no matter what some say it plays a BIG part. Maybe just maybe in his 8 home games in the "windy city" not to mention way under 5,000 feet sea level he had a little learning to do.

With Martz he lights it up this year easily and hopefully they get him a legit #1 to throw to.

Wind and altitude can affect your throws. They have nothing to do with your reads and decisions. For a guy with little paitence for excuses for Campbell your sure stretching to find some for Cutler.

It will be interesting to see what happens under Martz though.

Wind and altitude can affect your throws. They have nothing to do with your reads and decisions. For a guy with little paitence for excuses for Campbell your sure stretching to find some for Cutler.

It will be interesting to see what happens under Martz though.

As I have said probably 50 times I like gunslingers so given the choice who do you think I am going to pick? Cutler is a brat and has issues but yes I would take him in a split second over Jason.

As I have said probably 50 times I like gunslingers so given the choice who do you think I am going to pick? Cutler is a brat and has issues but yes I would take him in a split second over Jason.

Gunslingers are fine - but you want them to shoot in the right direction and hit what they aim at a lot more than Cutler did last year.

Straight up and with Shanny as his coach I would take Cutler versus Jason as well. But not for 2 no.1 picks and a starting quality QB.

Gunslingers are fine - but you want them to shoot in the right direction and hit what they aim at a lot more than Cutler did last year.

Straight up and with Shanny as his coach I would take Cutler versus Jason as well. But not for 2 no.1 picks and a starting quality QB.

Again coming down from 5,000+ feet, new offense and with a really and I mean really weak receiving corp he did pretty damn good.

Love Campbell or hate him, the idea that Cutler is a huge upgrade is farfetched at best.

At least with Bradford or Clausen, you can see the long-term potential. Cutler is an average QB who makes far too many poor decisions to ever be successful in the playoffs. Campbell doesn't take enough risks, Cutler takes far too many.

I might trade Campbell straight up for Cutler, but I would not give up a single draft pick. Not even a 6th rounder. Look at the numbers.

This has probably already been posted, but below is what that 1st and 3rd round tender will cost the Skins, straight from NFLLabor.com

http://nfllabor.com/

This site has a lot of information, combine schedules, a list of unrestricted free agents and their agents, and a lot more about the CBA (you can download the CBA) and the schedule for the 2010 offseason up to the 2010 NFL season kickoff on September 9. The schedule gives all the free agency information, training camp information and cut down dates. It will give you a lot to think about.

Player with FIVE Accrued Seasons

Right of First Refusal — $1,226,000

Right of First Refusal + Pick in player’s original draft round — $1,226,000*

Right of First Refusal + Second-Round Draft Pick — $1,809,000*

Right of First Refusal + First-Round Draft Pick — $2,621,000*

Right of First Refusal + First- AND Third-Round Draft Picks — $3,268,000*

*or 110% of player’s 2009 Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater

Given the asterisk, I think we need to offer Campbell about $3,000,000 for one year, any way you look at it, so the 1st and 3rd tender is just about what we need to offer Campbell anyway.

This is also what it says on the site: March 4 — Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.

Again coming down from 5,000+ feet, new offense and with a really and I mean really weak receiving corp he did pretty damn good.

i like it when qb performance is put in context. some would call it 'excuses', but i think its a good, smart thing.

Archived