Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kevin Smith kicked off Southwest flight for being too fat

spjunkies

keeastman's in Madagascar right now, I'm curious to know how many obese people w/ chemical imbalances she's seen there so far. My guess is not very many?

I've seen about as many obese people here as I've seen fair-skinned blondes, lol.

There are a number of reasons you don't really hear about "chemical imbalances" in the developing world.

1. Developing countries are usually at the beginning or middle of the epidemiological transition scale. In simple terms, as societies develop and average life spans increase, health problems shift from infectious disease (malaria, cholera, typhoid, etc.) to more chronic/lifestye related diseases (cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.).

2. There are no resources to even test for chemical/hormonal imbalances. There aren't even enough resources to properly treat anyone for pretty much anything.

3. Obesity and chemical imbalances are the least of the health problems faced in developing nations. Right now it's dengue fever and malaria (a few of my coworkers who were in the bush these last 2 weeks have developed malaria and one person has dengue) that are big concerns.

So yeah, obesity doesn't even register on our scale of health concerns. Malnutrition does however.

Is there a celebrity that exists you don't know personally?
I have met a few, but wouldn't say I know them. Sitting next to a guy or having a quick conversation with somebody hardly makes you a friend or even an acquaintance. There is a lot of money and some famous people around here, not a big deal. I also don't buy into the "celebrity" hype, so perhaps that makes a difference.
I'm trying to count the degrees of separation between myself and KoolBlue.

I give up. I have infinite degrees to KoolBlue :(

We've met.

I think Smith thought people were going to rally to his defense or something.

And they haven't.

Because he's clearly in denial about just how fat he is.

Dude is 5'7 and 330 pounds -- at least that's what he admits to, meaning he's probably 350 or more.

He keeps saying "most of America looks like me."

No, most of America does not.

Yes, lots of people are fat in this country, but most people are not morbidly obese.

Are we all sure that photo of Kevin Smith w/Seth Rogan and Liz Banks isn't photoshopped? Here is a youtube vid of Kevin Smith he made explaining part of the situation...dude doesn't look nearly that big....

http://smodcast.com/phx.html

These are the most recent event pictures I could find of him, from last Fall:

91594786.jpg

89243267.jpg

Not quite as large as in that other picture, but still probably too large for comfort in just one airplane seat.

If airlines stopped cramming smaller and smaller seats into their planes, so that they could get the max number of people on them (more $$$$)..this wouldnt be a issue what so ever. :saber:

Stupid Southwest trying to fly more people on one flight so they can keep prices down and use less fuel. How dare they stand in the way of my 5-milkshake-per-day habit.

I feel sorry for Kevin Smith. He was able to drop both arm rests and buckle the seat belt. And he routinely buys several seats on the flights that he takes.

The airlines are such a ****ty mess these days.

The airline seats are so freakin small, that even the average person who lays his arms on the rests, are virtually bound to get in the way of the adjacent passenger. The person in the middle seat, where applicable, almost always has ZERO room for arm rest, if either the Window or the Aisle passenger uses them.

Airlines suck. But I withhold from bashing Southwest in particular, even in light of this incident, because they are the exception to many rules, when it comes to horrible practice by airlines toward customers.

I'm with SW on this one. They make him buy two seats. It's a well known policy, and one I like.

He normally does. It says he bought two seats, but then flew stand bye on a different flight, and he got the last seat. But there was only 1.

so they gave him $100 voucher and put him on the orginal flight that he had purchased two seats for

Don't like it? Lose weight.

Stupid Southwest trying to fly more people on one flight so they can keep prices down and use less fuel. How dare they stand in the way of my 5-milkshake-per-day habit.
I'm 5'10" and 160pnds. Flying is still very uncomfortable.

And flying SW is annoying, the attendants are all overly friendly with phony accents. Its weird.

I'm with SW on this one.
I'm pretty sure their policy is to not kick people off after they've boarded and gotten into their seat.

If there was no space it should've been already determined. There's no need to embarrass anyone. Would you tell a woman to stop crying and lose some weight?

Archived