Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

have you ever used a phone booth

Burgold

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Was thinking about experiences that were once common, but now may be completely foreign to people of a certain age or place.

I can't remember the last time I've even seen a phone both and most of the payphones I pass are broken or disconnected. So, as a starter for this fogey-esque thread...

Have you ever used a phonebooth (to make a phonecall)

I've never used a full-fledged phone booth, but I have used pay phones like the ones you see in airports. I consider those to be close enough so I answered yes.

Throughout my life I've tried to avoid using any pay phone as they seem to be some of the most dirty and poorly maintained public places around.

Sadly, phone booths are becoming extinct, due to the advance of cell phones.

Yet, we still need them.

What happens if you're stuck somewhere alone, especially if your car is broken down, and one of these happens :

a) You forgot your cellphone

B) You lost your cellphone

c) You broke your cellphone

d) Your battery dies and you don't have a charger.

e) Your battery dies, and you have a charger, but the charger is broken.

And there are no working payphones nearby.

Usually, you're screwed if any of those apply.

There's a pay phone about a block away from my house. It's not a full-on booth though - it's just kinda of sitting out on its own beside the sidewalk.

Anyway, I see people using it pretty regularly. I think that may be somewhat indicative of the kind of neighborhood I live in. :paranoid:

edit: And I have used phone booths though I think only when I was in Europe. Have used payphones here in the US of A, but I don't think I ever used a one in a booth.

I'm feeling old.....how about the headlight high beam switch that was on the floor of the car ......up and to the left of the brake pedal. Or the TV that you had to get up and turn the channel and all you had was Channel 4,5,7 and 9. sometimes you could get 20 if the weather was good

A long time ago I used some phone booths. The decline of pay phones sucks, especially for me. I can't justify the occasional convenience of a cell phone with the monthly expense, I also have anxiety and greatly dislike using phones at all.

I'm feeling old.....how about the headlight high beam switch that was on the floor of the car ......up and to the left of the brake pedal. Or the TV that you had to get up and turn the channel and all you had was Channel 4,5,7 and 9. sometimes you could get 20 if the weather was good

Heh, I certainly remember flipping the TV dial. Plus fashioning various antenna contraptions with tin foil, coat hangers, and anything else that would bring in reception. Occasionally I'd even use my body, as sometimes I'd move the antenna and get great reception, but as soon as I took my hand off it would turn to snow.

Another "feeling old" thing is that a lot of young people probably don't remember that everything used to come by normal mail. I recall getting patches for computer games on disk that way, and aside from the phone every correspondance would be mail. E-mail and downloads is of course a great advance and much more convenient. But I guess we are to young kids as carrier pigeons and the pony express were to us!

Yes - All the time. In fact, I checked Google Maps and the phone booth I used where I lived is still there. Sadly, its right around the corner from where the four Lakewood Police Officers were killed. It's at the car wash where the getaway car was parked. :( :mad:

Archived