Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Warner, 2-time MVP, hangs up jersey

DCranon21

Yup he did it. Hello Matt Leinart.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4870096

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Kurt Warner has called an end to one of the great storybook careers in NFL history.

The 38-year-old quarterback announced his retirement from the game on Friday after a dozen years in a league that at first rejected him, then revered him as he came from nowhere to lead the lowly St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowls, winning the first of them.

"Not much on the drama part of it, as most of you know," Warner said to begin a news conference at the Cardinals' training facility.

Warner said he'd been leaning toward retirement for the last half of this season.

"Obviously, it's been 12 unbelievable years, some of the best years of my life," a composed Warner said. "But I want everybody to know that I'm just as excited about the next 12, that I'm excited about what lies in front of me. I'm excited about spending more time with my family, and seeing what God's going to do next."

Written off as a has-been, he rose again to lead the long-suffering Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl a year ago.

What an awesome story this guys career is. The NFL rejected him. He came back with no expectations lead a long time horrible team, The Rams. Took them to two superbowls winning one of them. 2 NFL MVP awards and 1 superbowl MVP. The Rams hadn't made the post season in the decade prior to Warner's arrival. Then came the injuries. He finally put together some full season and took the always mediocre cardinals to the superbowl losing a nail biter to the Steelers.

Not everyone can take two losers and turn them into winners.

I had more fun watching the NFL because Warner was playing in it. He gave us three great superbowls to watch and the best post season performances I've ever seen by a QB.

When fully healthy, Warner was the best to ever play the game; and unlike Favre or Marino, he played his best in the postseason.

If he hadn't hurt his thumb in 2000, he would've won consecutive SBs and played the greatest season of any QB ever. Seriously, the first half of '00 he was unbelievable.

What a beast. This guy, when healthy, and given just a little bit of time, was unstoppable.

He never choked in the playoffs, I think because no matter how much success he had he never stopped preparing and playing like he's still fighting for a job, and fighting to keep his dream alive.

Seriously, I thought he was washed up when he went to Arizona. But even though he never had the strongest arm or any mobility, that release and his ability to read a defense was lightning-freaking quick.

You rule Kurt Warner. HOF!

A class act on and off the field, Warner's rise from a grocery stockboy arena league player to Superbowl MVP and NFL MVP is one of the greatest stories ever in the NFL.

His list of records is numerous, and his statistics could have potentially put him at or near the top of the list of greatest quarterbacks ever if not for the fact that he was an undrafted free agent of little to no regard- an afterthought who didn't get a chance to start until the age of 28.

In this day and age of all the media attention grabbing antics of the bad boys like TO, Cinco et al, It is somewhat sad to see a guy like Kurt bow out, because it's not everyday that a player of his caliber on and off the field comes along.

As I said in the other thread, he made every team that he played for, better. Including those lowly Giants. As a football fan, you learn to love certain players and they leave all too quickly. This becomes especially true when you are old enough to be a retired athlete.

Good luck HOFer. I had a chance meeting with him in Disney World when he played for the Rams. He took the time to shake hands with me and my kids and asked the kids what their favorite rides were. I was a fan of his ever since then. He took the time to make us feel good, when he did not have to.

Archived