Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strange phone calls... any advice?

Springfield

This reminds me of that story about the handicapped guy making spoof calls from his basement on random people. He would call 911 and claim some emergency so the SWAT team would go to his unsuspecting victim's house.

He got busted, BTW.

In this age of VoIP, it's not hard to imagine someone sitting in front of a computer calling people and masking their number.

I see a number and I don't have it saved...I don't answer.

I don't like surprises.

bingo! If all they get is your voicemail, they'll grow tired of the game and go away. It's doubtful that you're going to catch them. The world is full of sick ****s and you've crossed paths with one. Likely it is some x-bf or a friend of his.

meh, telling him to not answer the phone when he normally answers the phone from unrecognized numbers is giving in. He already expressed disgust at giving in when one suggested to change his number. It's such a pain to do that, and I too would rather know who it was so the police can properly get involved.

I answer calls from unrecognized numbers, and I have no problem doing so. If I were in his situaiton, I'd definitely answer those calls to find out who the punk is.

Definitely creepy and odd. It feels prankish to me, but a little paranoia is not uncalled for. Them disconnecting that number so quickly or having the ability to change their telephone number is pretty wild. I don't think I'd have an idea how to do that.

meh, telling him to not answer the phone when he normally answers the phone from unrecognized numbers is giving in. He already expressed disgust at giving in when one suggested to change his number. It's such a pain to do that, and I too would rather know who it was so the police can properly get involved.

I answer calls from unrecognized numbers, and I have no problem doing so. If I were in his situaiton, I'd definitely answer those calls to find out who the punk is.

Answering the phone is giving the perp power and an opportunity to talk ****. You're letting them win by talking to them. Chances are you're not going to find out who it is.

facebook / twitter / myspace + net detective and you have everything you need to get the information on anyone to the point you can do what you wish is you really wanted to.

I'd report it to the phone company with the exact times and the phone numbers you have. They will probably take it more seriously than the cops.

Do you think they would have a different number than the one I got from my caller ID?

Thats the point: the phone company can show what came in at what time based on the information you provide. If they feel they can get a 10k fine from the people they will go for it base on bypassing standard phone rules and hacking available phone numbers.

The fact that this person knew personal details of your lives should really narrow it down a little bit. Take one of the things he hit on and disect it to the Nth degree. Who was there when whatever situation he mentioned happened? How many times have yout old stories about it and to whom? The voice didn't ring familier?

Actually, it could be done at virtually no expense... which doesn't really help whatsoever.

It is still going to a lot of trouble and opens one up to potential liability. I certainly wouldn't do something like this. Imagine if girlfriend had decided to react to the news by hitting our innocent fellow here with a brick. Bet your ass the funny crank caller would be up for a nice lawsuit.

Just ask Tiger Woods how likely that scenario is.

At this point you should just have fun with it.

Caller: "Your girlfriend is cheating on you. Just thought you should know"

You: "Oh it's not cheating, it's fetish. I hide in the closet with a video camera. you really need to do something about your ass acne"

___________--

Caller: "Is this Monica?"

Monica: "Yes"

Caller: "Well I was calling to talk about your boyfriend, Chris"

Monica: "So you heard then?"

Caller: "umm... heard what?"

Monica: "He's gay. Came out of the closet yesterday"

Caller: "I just want to let you know I've been seeing Monica. I feel bad about it"

You: "Yah, well, thanks. I have something to confess too"

Caller: "???"

You: "I have genital herpes. You might want to see a doctor"

You: "Oh it's not cheating, it's fetish. I hide in the closet with a video camera. you really need to do something about your ass acne"

___________--

Caller: "I just want to let you know I've been seeing Monica. I feel bad about it"

Hilarious. I'm thinking that's the way I'll go with it if it ever happens again.

I had a similar scenario on AIM about 2 weeks ago... They AIM'ed me and said that we had hooked up 2 years ago... Knew a bunch of stuff about me, but wouldn't tell me who they were.. I was kind of freaked out, but in the end didn't let it bother me... While I was guessing I put some random names in to try to get clues if they knew that person or were just trying to figure out who I slept with (I asked if it was Slacky, Reic, or Rdskn4lyf21 to see if they knew me from the boards)...

All in all... it sounds like you've handled it well so far and are just trying to make sure it doesn't escalate... Which I hope it doesn't... Imagine if there wasn't the trust... The guy would have succeeded...

___________--

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Archived