Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan must do one thing only.

Art

Signs of change? This in regards to the "lunches" Dan would have on Friday with Zorn

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/05/AR2010010503392.html

Not change really. Just abiding the requests of the people he had in charge. Cerrato didn't care if the owner and coach talked. Allen did. Snyder nodded and did what Allen asked. Snyder is better than people realize at doing what he's asked to do by the people he's handed power to.

One could easily argue it's petty on Allen's part to worry about such things. There's a great rumored story out there, though, about Marty demanding one of the minority owners not talking to players unless it went through Marty. Knowing how that rumor goes, I'm actually surprised Snyder would agree to Allen's request :)

Ahh.

You're one of those.

DANNY, LEAVE TOWN AND NEVER COME BACK. DO NOTHING.

Wait. When a player speaks on the radio, you WANT Danny to do something and speak out? I see. I've YET to see anyone who dislikes Snyder actually be consistent in that dislike. You are somewhat extreme as an example as you WANT Snyder OUT of the things he's proven to be great at (signing players) while you want him IN on the things he's ALSO been great at (staying out of public fights between players and coaches).

The worst thing Snyder could do is take action when a player slams a coach because it would forever cripple the coach from doing anything. The coach has the authority to do what he needs to do to get an unruly player in line. Snyder can't do that for him.

You want Snyder's door shut, yet certainly laud him for providing a player access to a sick relative with a personal flight out. You want things which don't compute. It IS possible one of the flaws in a Snyder organization is the players FEEL loved by the owner. Randy Thomas said that about him. Maybe it IS too comfortable for the players knowing their owner will do everything in his power to keep them happy.

At the end of the day though, Snyder has LONG stayed out of controversial issue between coaches and players because getting involved undercuts the coach. The coach HAS the ability to act. Zorn was just bad at it. Hell, Zorn couldn't even hold to a decision to move ARE out of punt returns, folding when challenged BY ARE. We did not need Snyder holding his hand. It'd have hurt Zorn more than Zorn hurt himself.

Great minds think alike! I don't get how McD5 is saying that he wanted Snyder to step in. Zorn was a ***** and the team treated him like one. I am glad he hasn't gotten into any of the controversial issues. Shanny will take care of those.

Ahh.

Wait. When a player speaks on the radio, you WANT Danny to do something and speak out? I see. I've YET to see anyone who dislikes Snyder actually be consistent in that dislike. You are somewhat extreme as an example as you WANT Snyder OUT of the things he's proven to be great at (signing players) while you want him IN on the things he's ALSO been great at (staying out of public fights between players and coaches).

I want the coach to be able to make the best decisions for the team. With the 100% backing of the owner.

Any real franchise would have sat Portis down for a game or two after that outburst. Vinny's job? Perhaps.

But when it is Dan's favorite player, and best buddy involved, that makes things much more difficult.

It is akin to you being an office manager Art. You have a boss. His kid slacks off at work, and sets a non-results oriented atmosphere, which breeds discontent throughout the office.

You, being the manager, know the kid is cancer. But what can you do? Fire the son of the boss?

And the office implodes.

Dan needs to stay out of the way. He probably doesn't even need his ritual Friday lunch with the HC. Nor does he need to attend practices regularly.

He needs to own.....not to run or manage.

Not change really. Just abiding the requests of the people he had in charge. Cerrato didn't care if the owner and coach talked. Allen did. Snyder nodded and did what Allen asked. Snyder is better than people realize at doing what he's asked to do by the people he's handed power to.

One could easily argue it's petty on Allen's part to worry about such things. There's a great rumored story out there, though, about Marty demanding one of the minority owners not talking to players unless it went through Marty. Knowing how that rumor goes, I'm actually surprised Snyder would agree to Allen's request :)

I think its change.

Cerrato had no problem with Snyder having "lunch" with the coach on FRIDAY, freakin Friday before a game, one of the more important game planning days of the week, the last practice before either leaving for the road, or the walk through on Saturday

So Jim, instead of working the last details of how to beat the Giants or Eagles, is talking to Dan about game strategy.

That is why Bruce quickly shut it down, because its asinine to think this nonsense was going on

Here is the key thing my friend. Any successful organization needs the proper chain of command. Bruce Allen understands this. Dan Snyder made his money during the roaring 90s, when "flat" structured organizations were all the rage.

Flat structures do not work in the NFL. Chain of command. Players at the bottom to position coach to coordinator to head coach to GM/Team President to owner

Once that chain gets out of whack, you have a dysfunctional organization and culture.

Dan doesn't realize that because he hit his business home run during the 1990s, where the chain of command wasn't necessary to success in business

I tyhink Allen will control some of the manipulative spending we have and get us way under teh salery cap he is famous for doing contracts that have clauses in them. Hopefully teams will ome here because they want to play for the skins not because they were handed more money than they know what dodo with from now on

The front office needs to sufficiently isolate themselves from the players in all matters not concerning contract negotiations.

Shannahan has to be the "man" of final authority, fully supported by ownership/management, for all other player issues.

Shannahan should be trusted to make any issues needed to be addressed by the FO known and acted upon accordingly through Shannahan.

No more of this "the owner is my buddy" entitlement that seems to pervert the chain of authority of this team.

Well said. And squashing that is a large challenge for Mike and Bruce. As long as that atmosphere exists, we are dead meat.

I want the coach to be able to make the best decisions for the team. With the 100% backing of the owner.

Any real franchise would have sat Portis down for a game or two after that outburst. Vinny's job? Perhaps.

But when it is Dan's favorite player, and best buddy involved, that makes things much more difficult.

It is akin to you being an office manager Art. You have a boss. His kid slacks off at work, and sets a non-results oriented atmosphere, which breeds discontent throughout the office.

You, being the manager, know the kid is cancer. But what can you do? Fire the son of the boss?

And the office implodes.

Dan needs to stay out of the way. He probably doesn't even need his ritual Friday lunch with the HC. Nor does he need to attend practices regularly.

He needs to own.....not to run or manage.

Perhaps if the coach stepped up to the plate and said "We are sitting CP this week" ala Josh McDaniels. The Broncos may not be in the playoffs this year, but I bet they don't fall apart because a coach was afraid to stand up to the players. If Zorn went to Snyder/Vinny and said "Should I sit/fine/suspend CP" then he was weak to even ask that. Shanny will have no problem laying the law. Just read what CP spoke about regarding that.

I tyhink Allen will control some of the manipulative spending we have and get us way under teh salery cap he is famous for doing contracts that have clauses in them. Hopefully teams will ome here because they want to play for the skins not because they were handed more money than they know what dodo with from now on

What is this salary cap you speak of?

Uncapped year :silly:

Well said. And squashing that is a large challenge for Mike and Bruce. As long as that atmosphere exists, we are dead meat.

For starters, maybe it should be Coach Shannahan and Mr. Allen that need to squash this culture of familiarity. :D

Ahh.

You're one of those.

DANNY, LEAVE TOWN AND NEVER COME BACK. DO NOTHING.

I am one of these. :wavetowel

Snyder is not a football person and most likely never will be, I dont want him talking to players or scouting personnel at the combine or courting free agents because it sets a bad precedent for Shanahans team.

We have a GM here it is up to Allen and his new HC to lead this team back to prominence and Dan Snyder should play no role in this whatsoever. He can get on a plane and leave town for 5 years and I would expect this would in no way hinder the organization.

Since things got so off topic so early.

I kinda get the impression that Bruce Allen's role is to keep Snyder honest. It's hard to imagine that a talented guy like himself would come here just for the nostalgia. He obviously doesn't have the juice that Shanahan has.

Shanahan could have brought the Goodman's with him (and obviously still might) to act in Allen's place. Clearly there is a reason that Shanahan wanted a strong figure who had already made an independent name.

I think he's here to be a partner to Shanahan, but in part to create a new environment in Ashburn that separates the same old toxic environment we've been known for. Mainly, to at least keep that crap out of the way of Shanahan so he can do his job and be a coach.

Sherman Smith let the cat out of the bag. He admitted that he had been warned against coming here. This is a challenge to competitive guys like Allen and Shanahan. And I doubt that those two would have come here without a plan for how to deal with Snyder.

I always love reading threads where someone in position to know better, (Art) is being told by those who don't know a goddamn thing, (pick-yer-dummy) that he doesn't know a goddamn thing.

Good stuff.

... Schlereth played for us in our glory years. He played for the Broncos in theirs. He considers himself a Bronco. There's something to be said for a guy who played with our greatest and their greatest and prefers theirs...

Schlereth played six years in both places, won two trophies in Denver, but only one while in DC. And to back up your one point about him considering himself a Bronco, that's what uniform he's wearing on his own website. (http://markschlereth.com/)

Won't happen McD5.

And, again, you don't want it to.

It's the thing no one has ever really understood about Snyder's running of the team. The reason he can sign anyone he wants to coach the team is because unlike the media portrays, he doesn't have to sell that person on an owner's desire to control the decisions being made.

While the media suggests people won't work for a meddlesome owner, the fact is, he's not actually meddlesome. He's INVOLVED. But he doesn't overrule. He doesn't instruct. He doesn't MAKE the decisions. He empowers them. When he meets with Shanahan he tells him that. He tells Shanahan, "Mike, I want you to make this team a winner. You make the calls on all things. It's your team to run. I'm here to make sure you get what you want. And I ALWAYS get what you want."

It's seductive because it's accurate.

And it's why Snyder will, for as long as he follows that model, be able to get anyone he wants to coach the team and, why, ultimately, the failure of that person will be based on that person's choices, while the success will be based on that person's choices as well.

That person won't be able to say he wasn't given what he asked for or needed. It allows great accountability and clarity. Snyder legitimately doesn't want to be the football decision maker here. He does want to make sure he does everything in his power so that his decision makers have everything they need.

And that he'll do for all time.

Okay, I follow your logic but isn't this what you'd like in a owner.

Remember, you can not have it both your way whereas a person such as Snyder can be convincing enough of giving away the candy shop but still want him to be conservative in his sugar ingredients.

Does that analogy serve well?!

I hope that Shanny, Allen and Snyder will act as a triumverate a la Gibbs-Beathard-Cooke. Snyder wants to be involved, and Allen needs to be the voice of reason between Shanny and Snyder to make sure that the carnival atmosphere doesn't materialize again. Cerrato was the worst possible man to be in Snyder's ear.

The one thing that must be done, is that Vinny Cerrato must not be allowed near Redskin Park, ever again.

HALLELUJAH! As usual Art goes right to the heart of the matter. This is THE single biggest thing that needs changing, and we'll know early on whether or not it is. Some players will get the boot but it will be the ones that get benched and told to STFU that will be the real indicator. The standup guys on the team like Fletcher will know that they can say something to their teammates and it will not result in someone doing an endrun to TheDan because their little feelings were hurt. Allen and Shanny teaching this team to be a team is the right medicine for progress.

If so we likely have the right coach now. Good book that I have been reading, a Few Seconds of Panic, is about a sportswriter who auditions to play with the Broncos as a kicker and he gets into Shanny a lot. The author was on Comcast last night talking about it.

He describes Shanny is a disciplinarian, control freak, who has no tolerance for dissent. Very loyal if you do the right thing, but if you wrong him even once you are in deep trouble. He’s isn’t a no fun disciplinarian like Marty. He will do bowling days, and team bonding stuff. Here are some quotes from the book:

“Shanahan has honed a style that is part autocrat, part technocrat. He is reductionist approach to life.

“He recalls Shanahan eviscerating a player for running the wrong pass pattern, then watching an assistant coach privately apologize to the player for having assigned him the wrong route – and then not tell Shanahan that he, the assistant was responsible.”

“the culture of leadership that Shanahan has imposed…In it failure is not an option, and fear – fear of disappointing, and ticking off Shanahan comes with the territory. Slavish attention to detail and consummate professionalism are as basic to the Broncos as orange and blue.”

"In recent days, his end of practice lectures have grown more scolding. He’s angry about dropped balls, missing blocking assignments, and lack of concentration.”

"He used that power to keep his coaches on edge, who in turn put their players on edge. It’s almost like he’s read the book on how to lead. He understands the philosophy of leadership, Kyle says. If the end justify the means, then he’s good at his job.”

Archived