Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI Peter King: How Shanahan will fix the Redskins

MattFancy

The 3-4 opens the door for Merriman....also I would think Haynesworth would be a good fit since he could line up at any of the 3 dl positions....that said I don't want a 3-4 here I think it would really set the D back....

The Redskins have "the $100 million dollar man" Albert Haynesworth. Why not let him take on 2 Olinemen at a time as a 3-4 nose tackle? He could be like the nose tackle for the Patriots Vince Wilfork. Haynesworth definitely has the size and strength to do it.

He has the wrong skill set for a nose tackle. There are maybe 5-8 quality nose tackles in the NFL.

The Redskins have "the $100 million dollar man" Albert Haynesworth. Why not let him take on 2 Olinemen at a time as a 3-4 nose tackle? He could be like the nose tackle for the Patriots Vince Wilfork. Haynesworth definitely has the size and strength to do it.

Haynesworth wasn't happy in the scheme we ran last year, you think he'd be down with that? Certainly does not play to his strengths. So that ain't gonna work.

King really sounds clueless in this article .

As has been said it is Bradfords shoulder not elbow, 2010 with no cap would be the best possible time to dump Portis and we have none of the personel to run a 3-4 and the fact we are one of the few teams that stuck to the 4-3 we have the better choice of characters from the draft that fit the 4-3 .

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/05/mail/

• Look for a defensive coordinator who will give the 3-4 a shot.

Shanahan was thinking hard about the 3-4 when I saw him in at Steelers camp last summer. Though Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will likely be available (the Bengals probably won't pay him Snyder money to be an assistant) and is experienced with the 3-4 from his Dallas days, I'm not sure Zimmer will be Shanahan's choice for coordinator. But Shanahan knows he wants to be much better at stopping the run in Washington than he was in Denver.

LOLWUT?! :doh:

This team is not built for a 3-4. No NT, no 5 tech DE's. What to do with Carter? Jarmon never has played in a 3-4.

We already have an accurate intermediate thrower on the roster!!!

Heh this made me chuckle. Reminds me a few years ago when Joe Namath was being interviewed at a Jets game about Pennington and he was so drunk saying he wasn't a Thrower he was a passer, man I laughed my butt off.

Edit: don't the Eagles run a 4-3? Why is their defense so effective at blitzing and pressuring the QB and stopping the run and creating turnovers, and ours isn't? Is it merely personnel? Or is it coaching and use of your players strengths and athleticism? Just curious.

Jim johnson was a defensive GURU before he passed on, he knew how to insert players according to their strengths.

Blache's theroy is to keep guy in their lanes. We did not stunt very often, and when we did blitze, it seemed like it was so telegraphed that the opposition had an easier time picking up the blitze.

What the hell is the obsession with this defense and the 3-4?

Look, I like the flexibility it creates. I really do. But we'd have to get rid of virtually every player on this roster who's actually worth a damn. It makes less than zero sense. And Zimmer's only run it in one place, for God's sake.

King makes way too much to put out crap like this.

You can Bring in Brady. Until you get a quality talented offensive line no qb will succeed .This team is amazing. All the offensive line problems and we want a QB with a bad shoulder. We are gonna draft a bunch of serviceable lineman and its gonna be the same crap again. All the Skins do is make noise signing big name coaches and free agents and NOTHING happens.Same crap different year. It starts in the trenches. Does anyone understand how the Redskins won in the past? Great offensive lines.

True post. I'd also be more confident with Cowher than a phony like Shanihan. Bowlen didn't fire him cause he was winning.

What the hell is the obsession with this defense and the 3-4?

Look, I like the flexibility it creates. I really do. But we'd have to get rid of virtually every player on this roster who's actually worth a damn. It makes less than zero sense. And Zimmer's only run it in one place, for God's sake.

King makes way too much to put out crap like this.

Really all we would need is a NT.

Al could play end with Golston, Griff and Montgomery.

Carter, Orakpo, and Wilson (Backup) as our OLBs, Fletch, Blades (backup) and Rock in the middle.

Really all we would need is a NT.

Al could play end with Golston, Griff and Montgomery.

Carter, Orakpo, and Wilson (Backup) as our OLBs, Fletch, Blades (backup) and Rock in the middle.

Carter crapped the bed when he was converted to a 3-4 OLB in San Fran. Rocky's already got arthritic knees, playing him at interior linebacker will only increase the wear and tear he takes. Albert can theoretically play pretty much anywhere on the line, at least in certain situations, but using him as a 3-4 end is a total waste. You don't sign the best penetrating DT in football to a giant contract and then ask him to clog up blockers as an end in a different system. (Similarly, you don't sign the best penetrating DT in football to a giant contract and then ask him to clog up blockers at his usual position. But maybe anybody with a name that rhymes with "Flache" isn't allowed to know that.)

This is a 4-3 defense, and it can be a damn good one with the right coordinator.

Archived