Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI Peter King: How Shanahan will fix the Redskins

MattFancy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/05/mail/

[]WWSD? What Would Shanahan Do? That's the question on the minds of so many Redskins fans today as they close in on finalizing a contract with former Denver head coach Mike Shanahan, and I thought I'd tell you the four things I think he'll do early in his regime:

Bring his son Kyle in to help develop the next Washington franchise quarterback. Can't see them keeping Jason Campbell, particularly when keeping him means investing in a new contract when he hasn't played well enough to deserve it. Look for the Shanahans to look hard at first-round passers (remember the stunner when they drafted Jay Cutler in 2006?) and particularly at an accurate intermediate thrower coming off elbow surgery, Sam Bradford. Kyle's like his dad, so he'll be looking at the entire field and not caring what the draftniks say. That's why it wouldn't surprise me to see the Redskins pick a quarterback down the line (Zac Robinson, Colt McCoy) and address a terrible offensive line in the first round.

Try to get another year out of Clinton Portis. The Redskins owe him a ton of money anyway, and he fits the one-cut, upfield running style Mike Shanahan will want. Plus, the Redskins have so many holes and can't fill them all in one year; it'll be better for Shanahan to plug this hole with vets and a couple of undrafted free-agents this year. Now, the question is, how much will Portis have left after missing the end of the season with post-concussion syndrome? And will Portis want to give it another try? My guess is Shanahan will persuade Portis to give it one more year. Don't forget: Portis played two seasons under Shanahan in Denver (2002-03).

Look for a defensive coordinator who will give the 3-4 a shot.

Shanahan was thinking hard about the 3-4 when I saw him in at Steelers camp last summer. Though Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will likely be available (the Bengals probably won't pay him Snyder money to be an assistant) and is experienced with the 3-4 from his Dallas days, I'm not sure Zimmer will be Shanahan's choice for coordinator. But Shanahan knows he wants to be much better at stopping the run in Washington than he was in Denver.

Expect the unexpected. Shanahan doesn't care what you or I think. He drafted Maurice Clarett in the third round, paid sick sums of money to unpopular free-agents who didn't pan out (particularly on defense), handed the reins of his offense to Brian Griese and Jake Plummer when they weren't the belles of the NFL ball. He'll make a few decisions, particularly in free-agency, that will make you scratch your head. But he'll be decisive, and at least on offense, will have a very good track record behind him. It'll be a fun off-season in Washington when he signs his contract.

I agree with most of that except the 3-4. We don't have the personnel and if we signed Zimmer, he would def go with the 4-3. He doesn't have much experience with the 3-4, despite what King says. Parcells wanted it in Dallas and Zimmer really didn't know how to implement it.

Hail

I agree with most of that except the 3-4. We don't have the personnel and if we signed Zimmer, he would def go with the 4-3. He doesn't have much experience with the 3-4, despite what King says. Parcells wanted it in Dallas and Zimmer really didn't know how to implement it.

Hail

You can't make long-term organizational decisions based on the personnel you have on the roster today. If the head coach (presumably for the next 5+ years) wants to run a 3-4, he should institute it regardless of the current roster.

It's the opposite approach and short-term thinking that gets you into trouble (in my opinion).

Hail

When he tried the 3-4 it was his worse year as a DC

Interesting. First time we've heard that they might go for a QB but it'll be San Diego style when they passed on Vick and traded down and then went for Brees in Rd 2.

I'll say the same thing about doing this as picking a QB in round 1. If Shanahan (both of them I guess) really like a guy who they feel they can get in the second round. I'm cool with that. I'll trust them.

interesting points ... I was surprised to hear that they think Portis has another year left. I don't envision him being around for more than that ... but i agree, there are lots of holes to fill, and more pressing needs.

I am interested to see what Shanny truly thinks about Portis staying, and whether or not he thinks he can still be an effective player. But what I am interested to know is, if the FO views CP as a detriment to the team, enough so that whatever abilities they think he might have left, are not worth it for him to remain. I agree with many, in that i am over his self-centered ways. But the other side of me remembers how he has been one of the few offensive bright spots on this team the past 5 years, when he was actually producing what little offense we could muster. I'd like to see what CP has left in the tank.

At least he would know the offense and could get his body back in its normal condition, instead of having to overcompensate and add weight/muscle by being asked to be a power rusher, when he was clearly more of a slasher. I'm interested to see if it truly was our offensive style that limited his effectiveness.

Edit: don't the Eagles run a 4-3? Why is their defense so effective at blitzing and pressuring the QB and stopping the run and creating turnovers, and ours isn't? Is it merely personnel? Or is it coaching and use of your players strengths and athleticism? Just curious.

Bradford is coming off shoulder surgery, not elbow, unless these is something I haven't heard about. Also, we can't afford to change our defensive scheme and personnel at this point. A 3-4 has to be out of the question. I think a well-run 4-3 is better than a well-run 3-4 in my opinion.

You can Bring in Brady. Until you get a quality talented offensive line no qb will succeed .This team is amazing. All the offensive line problems and we want a QB with a bad shoulder. We are gonna draft a bunch of serviceable lineman and its gonna be the same crap again. All the Skins do is make noise signing big name coaches and free agents and NOTHING happens.Same crap different year. It starts in the trenches. Does anyone understand how the Redskins won in the past? Great offensive lines.

Archived