Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI Peter King: How Shanahan will fix the Redskins

MattFancy

AS usual PK is completely wrong. Lacking a bonafide top 5 QB coming out of the draft we'll trade down picking up someone else's #1 and a #2. Our first pick will be a speed back and the second a top OL. Shanahan will give Campbell every opportunity to show what he can do behind a decent OL and innovative play-calling but will also give CB a long hard look.

Portis will be cut and replaced with a young, hungry back that is not a prima donna.

Since our personnel doesn't fit a 3-4 Shanny will stick with a 4-3 and insist that Rak has his hand down on every play.

Now this makes sense.

Oh man switching to a 3-4 would set the D back years. Rak would be a monster OLB in that scheme, but I dont think any of our DL (including Al) are good fits for that setup. What do I know... Packers switched & have made it work so far

yeah, the Packers from #20 in 2008 using the 4-3 to #2 this year with the 3-4. Worked for them.

Yeah, but we don't have the personnel to run it. So you put Jarmon, Haynesworth, and Orakpo @ end? Then you'll have Carter, and Wilson on the outside and Fletcher and Rocky Mc in the inside. That's going to be setting up the team for failure. It'll be a DT to go alongside with Haynesworth in FA that we can pick up for cheap, put Jarmon and Orakpo at the ends. Trust me, this team isn't built for the 3-4 :)

Look, the same happened in Green Bay. They got the personnel. If Shanahan wants too run the the 3-4 defense, he will.

Haynesworth wouldn't play end. He would have to play NT.

Yeah, but we don't have the personnel to run it. So you put Jarmon, Haynesworth, and Orakpo @ end? Then you'll have Carter, and Wilson on the outside and Fletcher and Rocky Mc in the inside. That's going to be setting up the team for failure. It'll be a DT to go alongside with Haynesworth in FA that we can pick up for cheap, put Jarmon and Orakpo at the ends. Trust me, this team isn't built for the 3-4 :)

I would see it as...

LINE: Orakpo, Hayneworth, Carter. Jarman and Jackson for backup DEs.

LBs: McIntosh, Blades, Fletcher, Wilson

But, we would need to get more depth across the board. Which would not make a lot of sense considering our current defense was 10th in the league and our offense needs a lot of work.

I do agree with comment about expecting the unexpected because TK (Tony Kornheiser) had a guy on his show who covered Shanahan during his SB years and he mentioned that Shanahan does a tendency to go after some over the top guys. Hopefully that doesn't mean TO, but it could be some other controversial personality. I also like the idea of his son coming over to be the OC because it will bring a fresh young perspective to the position.

AS usual PK is completely wrong. Lacking a bonafide top 5 QB coming out of the draft we'll trade down picking up someone else's #1 and a #2. Our first pick will be a speed back and the second a top OL. Shanahan will give Campbell every opportunity to show what he can do behind a decent OL and innovative play-calling but will also give CB a long hard look.

Portis will be cut and replaced with a young, hungry back that is not a prima donna.

Since our personnel doesn't fit a 3-4 Shanny will stick with a 4-3 and insist that Rak has his hand down on every play.

OMG, you dont how bad I hope you are right. I know people dont know me like that and there a tons of people on here, but Ive been wanting a new young RB for like the last 2-3 years. Back when everyone kept argueing how we have to keep Portis untill he retires because of his blocking ability and because he was the core of the offense. Im a huge Portis fan going back to the days of the U, but I saw his speed and acceleration declining. I REALLY want to see how our offense works with a STUD RB. I want us to go oline oline oline like everyone else. But I swear if we found a way to pick up one of these beast backs coming out this year, I will be so dam happy.

Keep JC for one year, draft oline and try to get one of these beast backs, and cut Portis if next season is uncapped.

How did Shanahan win in the past? With a great QB. Just because a QB is a flashier position, it doesn't mean we are ignoring the line. It all starts with a QB and if Shanny sees a player he likes, that should be the number one priority for this franchise, as that's how he optimizes his success

You are right on it! Shanny learned that he needs a star QB. If he feels that Bradford is not the guy. Then he'll keep Campbell and draft a very promising QB in the later rounds.

Archived