Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI Peter King: How Shanahan will fix the Redskins

MattFancy

Really all we would need is a NT.

Al could play end with Golston, Griff and Montgomery.

Carter, Orakpo, and Wilson (Backup) as our OLBs, Fletch, Blades (backup) and Rock in the middle.

A scheme change like that would take years to perfect and fine tune, we have the makings of an elite 4-3 right now, can't see us going this route when all Shanahan needs to do to turn this team around is fix the offense.

I agree with most of that except the 3-4. We don't have the personnel and if we signed Zimmer, he would def go with the 4-3. He doesn't have much experience with the 3-4, despite what King says. Parcells wanted it in Dallas and Zimmer really didn't know how to implement it.

Hail

Will it be better than our 5-2 we've been running this year?

You don't sign the best penetrating DT in football to a giant contract and then ask him to clog up blockers as an end in a different system. (Similarly, you don't sign the best penetrating DT in football to a giant contract and then ask him to clog up blockers at his usual position. But maybe anybody with a name that rhymes with "Flache" isn't allowed to know that.)

It would be like drafting the best DE in years and then playing him at linebacker. Oh, wait..

The offensive line will need two of five starters clearly upgraded (LT and RG), a third likely improved (RT). But, what amazes me is in the small moments we looked mildly professional this year, people kept saying the line was blocking better. It wasn't. The QB was throwing the ball earlier and the plays were protecting him both from himself AND from the injury limitations along the line.

Some QBs make their offensive line look worse than it is while others make it look better. For us, it was a combination of both things. As we knew heading in, losing Samuels ends us as a good line as all good lines have an anchor at that spot. To me, it is the largest need we have in the offseason.

The 3-4 is better now then it was 20 yrs ago.

Yeah, but we don't have the personnel to run it. So you put Jarmon, Haynesworth, and Orakpo @ end? Then you'll have Carter, and Wilson on the outside and Fletcher and Rocky Mc in the inside. That's going to be setting up the team for failure. It'll be a DT to go alongside with Haynesworth in FA that we can pick up for cheap, put Jarmon and Orakpo at the ends. Trust me, this team isn't built for the 3-4 :)

a 3-4 will require more changes than we have moves to make. As of right now we have exactly one outside linebacker on the squad. Orakpo is a DE, Wilson is a DE, and neither have shown much at chasing TEs around, whereas both have shown an ability to get upfield in a hurry and pressure the QB. Orakpo looks outstanding as an every-down player and Wilson does a fine job creating mayhem in backfields as a role player.. Blades is more suited to the middle, and is relatively small to play the outside.

Can't do it all overnight.

~Bang

the 3-4 bit is interesting...

Peter King always mentions that Shanahan is interested in the 3-4 yet whenever he mentions a DC he mentions a 4-3 guy like Slowick or Zimmer.

Not to mention that we don't have the personnel and that Shanahan isn't a defensive minded coach so why would he tell his DC what defense to run?

I think that King is fixated on the 3-4 not Shanahan.

You can Bring in Brady. Until you get a quality talented offensive line no qb will succeed .This team is amazing. All the offensive line problems and we want a QB with a bad shoulder. We are gonna draft a bunch of serviceable lineman and its gonna be the same crap again. All the Skins do is make noise signing big name coaches and free agents and NOTHING happens.Same crap different year. It starts in the trenches. Does anyone understand how the Redskins won in the past? Great offensive lines.

How did Shanahan win in the past? With a great QB. Just because a QB is a flashier position, it doesn't mean we are ignoring the line. It all starts with a QB and if Shanny sees a player he likes, that should be the number one priority for this franchise, as that's how he optimizes his success

I'm a Broncos' fan, I'm a huge fan of Shanny and one thing I can tell you about him is that he has balls of steel. I think that is a very important trait for a great coach. Watch his press conferences. The man knows coaching, the man is a great guy, You guys are going to love him.:dallasuck

I'm a Broncos' fan, I'm a huge fan of Shanny and one thing I can tell you about him is that he has balls of steel. I think that is a very important trait for a great coach. Watch his press conferences. The man knows coaching, the man is a great guy, You guys are going to love him.:dallasuck

Let's see him win without Elway.

I think Peter King is going to be wrong here on most points.

This isn't a video game. The Redskins players seem to feel Portis is a diva. If its between Portis and Campbell and there is no cap. Its better for the chemistry to keep Campbell and let Portis go. Not that Campbell is the long term answer. But he's a tender offer and stopgap to this rebuilding process.

AS usual PK is completely wrong. Lacking a bonafide top 5 QB coming out of the draft we'll trade down picking up someone else's #1 and a #2. Our first pick will be a speed back and the second a top OL. Shanahan will give Campbell every opportunity to show what he can do behind a decent OL and innovative play-calling but will also give CB a long hard look.

Portis will be cut and replaced with a young, hungry back that is not a prima donna.

Since our personnel doesn't fit a 3-4 Shanny will stick with a 4-3 and insist that Rak has his hand down on every play.

You're the second Bronco fan I've heard this from. I am getting more and more excited.

Archived