Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft: Report: Snyder offered job to Shanahan in March

twenty-eight

Report: Snyder offered job to Shanahan in March

Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2009 12:29 PM ET

As the momentum continues to build between the Redskins and Mike Shanahan, Jay Glazer of FOX reports that owner Daniel Snyder initially offered the job to Shanahan in March 2009.

In response, Shanahan told Snyder that he needs to give coach Jim Zorn more than one year on the job.

The news meshes with rumors that have been circulating for months regarding offseason meetings and communications between Snyder and Shanahan, and regarding the belief that the Redskins tried to get quarterback Jay Cutler from the Broncos in anticipation that Shanahan would be the head coach.

And who knows? Maybe Shanahan would have decided to take the offer for 2009 if Cutler was going to be the guy.

Glazer also reports that, at the league meetings in March, Snyder asked former Broncos safety John Lynch to share everything he knows about Shanahan -- in the presence of Zorn.

All that said, Glazer says that Shanahan's top choice is the Cowboys. If so, it looks like Shanahan possibly has been using the Redskins in order to get Dallas owner Jerry Jones to bite.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/20/report-snyder-offered-job-to-shanahan-in-march/

These reports after Allen getting the job does make you wonder. It makes me wonder, since Allen doesn't have that great of a track record and we signed him because Shanny wanted him here, then...

1. What does that say about Shanny? Are the reports he lost it true or does he know what we don't?

2. What does the team do if Shanny played us and doesn't want to come here? What then?

Interesting times for sure

SNyder is a weasel! That's why I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on all of this. Until is he out of it altogether, this team will continue its steady decline. Let's not celebrate Allen's hiring just yet. I could see Shanahan using Snyder to get the Cowboys job. If that happens, I would laugh!

Glazer also reports that, at the league meetings in March, Snyder asked former Broncos safety John Lynch to share everything he knows about Shanahan -- in the presence of Zorn.

When I heard this on the pregame show, I said WTF! out loud. That little POS Snyder is an awful person and I'd love to see him get knocked off his high horse.

I pretty over all the so-called reporting and really don't know who to believe anymore. I mean, Mort says it's a done deal along with a bizzilion other media outlets, Casserly comes out with the Allen contract info and how Snyder isn't as involved as people assume, there's a "ghost" team now involved, and now this stuff. :doh:

I'm not bashing Jay but this sounds like BS. And who is he getting this info from? John Lynch(CHILD PLEASE!!!!) If he wanted to find out more about mike shanny wouldn't Pat bowlen have more insight to him rather than some player from another castoff team. OK maybe he went after Cutler but that other part is nothing but slander.

I'm not bashing Jay but this sounds like BS. And who is he getting this info from? John Lynch(CHILD PLEASE!!!!) If he wanted to find out more about mike shanny wouldn't Pat bowlen have more insight to him rather than some player from another castoff team. OK maybe he went after Cutler but that other part is nothing but slander.

I'm confused about the timing thing. Lynch claims Snyder offered the job in March yet Schefter is reporting Snyder grilled Bowlen about Shanahan at last weeks labor seminar.

Wouldn't Bowlen have been the first guy Snyder went to before offering a job?

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4758930&name=schefter_adam&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4758930%26name%3dschefter_adam

NFL executives spotted and overheard Washington Redskinsowner Daniel Snyder and Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen at last week's NFL labor seminar in Dallas engaged in a good solid 10 minutes of Mike-Shanahan-friendly conversation. Snyder was grilling Bowlen on Shanahan's attributes, and if there were any questions in the mind of the Redskins owner, Bowlen cleared them up. He gave Shanahan a ringing endorsement, which doesn't bode well for the future of Redskins head coach Jim Zorn. Snyder already knew much of this himself. He has known Shanahan since the two stayed at the same hotel for the Pro Bowl in the 1990s. The men went to dinner together, stayed in touch and have talked throughout recent years on a fairly regular basis.

As I've said before, Dan likes Shanny. Shanny likes Dan. But Shanny likes Jerruh a lil bit more.

Now, here's where it gets a bit dicey. If Dallas makes the Play Offs then Wade gets his extention & Dan easily lands Shanny. However, if Dallas tanks out then there's a lil better chance Shanny goes to Dallas. And Dan moves to Plan B.

With Dallas knocking of the Saints last night, & if they finnish out playing like that, then Shanny will land here.

As I've said before, Dan likes Shanny. Shanny likes Dan. But Shanny likes Jerruh a lil bit more.

Now, here's where it gets a bit dicey. If Dallas makes the Play Offs then Wade gets his extention & Dan easily lands Shanny. However, if Dallas tanks out then there's a lil better chance Shanny goes to Dallas. And Dan moves to Plan B.

With Dallas knocking of the Saints last night, & if they finnish out playing like that, then Shanny will land here.

Sooooo....

Lets go Cowboys?

:mad::(:mad::(

I thought that Allen made a huge difference in landing Shanahanananhanahnan?

And what would our "Plan B" be? Allen picking some amazing coordinator as a rookie head coach for us who will lead us to more Lombardis??!?! Please?!

I'm confused about the timing thing. Lynch claims Snyder offered the job in March yet Schefter is reporting Snyder grilled Bowlen about Shanahan at last weeks labor seminar.

Wouldn't Bowlen have been the first guy Snyder went to before offering a job?

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4758930&name=schefter_adam&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4758930%26name%3dschefter_adam

NFL executives spotted and overheard Washington Redskinsowner Daniel Snyder and Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen at last week's NFL labor seminar in Dallas engaged in a good solid 10 minutes of Mike-Shanahan-friendly conversation. Snyder was grilling Bowlen on Shanahan's attributes, and if there were any questions in the mind of the Redskins owner, Bowlen cleared them up. He gave Shanahan a ringing endorsement, which doesn't bode well for the future of Redskins head coach Jim Zorn. Snyder already knew much of this himself. He has known Shanahan since the two stayed at the same hotel for the Pro Bowl in the 1990s. The men went to dinner together, stayed in touch and have talked throughout recent years on a fairly regular basis.

That why I think PFT is full of it. Why John Lynch???? If anything you ask a guy like Shannon Sharpe or Terrell Davis. And I am assuming that where Jay's got the info from.

I'd like to know what plan B is?:D

Somehow they pry Gruden away? Holmgren's delay on accepting the Cleveland job? Or, someone out of nowhere, like the past 2 hires, and fans/media getted duped on Cowher?

I was luck warm on Shanahan anyway, him wanting to go to Dallas makes my it worse.

That why I think PFT is full of it. Why John Lynch???? If anything you ask a guy like Shannon Sharpe or Terrell Davis. And I am assuming that where Jay's got the info from.

So Snyder knows Shanny as a coach because they're facebook friends? They stayed in a hotel for the Pro Bowl in the 90's? Uh, Snyder was here for ten minutes in the 90's. That's one Pro Bowl ten years ago.

They stay in touch? WTF does that even mean?

Why would Jerry Jones want Shanahan to be the Cowboys coach? Wade Phillips is about to guide the 'Boys' into the playoffs. There was speculation that Phillips would be fired if Dallas didn't make the playoffs, but it looks like the Dallas Cowboys are going to squeeze into post season.

As far as Shanahan becoming the Redskins head coach, I say let's play it by ear. Zorn is still the head coach, and he can still be retained until we officially hear otherwise.

Archived