Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft: Report: Snyder offered job to Shanahan in March

twenty-eight

ESPN-Innovention-Lab-Mickey.jpg

We have a winner. Basic contract law 101, specific performance is not available in service contracts, but injunctive relief may be. Thus, if the mouse hires me to broadcast football games, if I breach, the mouse can't sue to force me to do the games. They can, on the other hand, get injunctive relief to prohibit me from calling games for a competitor, say NBC. So if I tell the mouse I want to go coach football for the Dan, the best the mouse can do is seek monetary damages as their remedy. And we know that the Dan is not afraid to cut checks.

We have a winner. Basic contract law 101, specific performance is not available in service contracts, but injunctive relief may be. Thus, if the mouse hires me to broadcast football games, if I breach, the mouse can't sue to force me to do the games. They can, on the other hand, get injunctive relief to prohibit me from calling games for a competitor, say NBC. So if I tell the mouse I want to go coach football for the Dan, the best the mouse can do is seek monetary damages as their remedy. And we know that the Dan is not afraid to cut checks.

So...Gruden?

But I thought TK was pretty sure he wouldn't be here next year.

So...Gruden?

No, it just appears Dan would have to really open up his check book. I don't know why the heck Gruden signed an extension. There would have been plenty of HC jobs for him to choose from.

So...Gruden?

That's because Shanny will be here; unless he is not. Jerruh being the x factor. TK laid it out, Shanny likes both but he likes Jerruh a little more. Then, you look to plan B which may involve cutting a check to the mouse.

You get these. :)

So...Gruden?

Last week the grass was green. For every day the grass was green. Today the grass is white. Obviously things change within time periods.

Always in motion, the Future is.

yoda.jpeg

Probably wouldn't be opposed to either of them or both.

:)

I would be "devistated" but i would be disapointed-- I think both

are mediocre retreads (Fox would be if fired and we hired). Our main problem is offense—so Fox being defensive minded doesn’t seem to be a good fit at HC. Now he could hire a good OC for us but Carolina’s offense doesn’t seem too impressive to me (although Jake Delhome has gone from Franchise QB to Heath Shuler 2.0). Option B would be to keep the 2 Sherms in place to mainain some level of continuty. Jim Fassel is offensive minded, but I think he’d want control of the offense and after his disaster in Baltimore, I think it could be Zorn playcalling 2.0. I’d almost rather give Zorn another chance at calling the plays and see if he learned anything from the Sherms. My top alternate to a Shanny hire is Gary Kuibak as I mentioned in another post (assuming he is fired)

Featured Columnist

The Washington Redskins' Next Coach Is...History Says, Not Mike Shanahan

Ed Sheahin

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/311733-the-washington-redskins-next-coach-ishistory-says-not-mike-shanahan

Featured Columnist

Written on December 20, 2009

Do you remember the hype that surrounded the Marty Schottenheimer hiring by Daniel Snyder for his beloved Washington Redskins?

How about the drama leading up to the much anticipated Steve Spurrier hiring? Redskins fans sat around for weeks mulling over the rumors of Joe Gibbs’ return to Washington.

Even as recent as this week, it was evident Vinny Cerrato would be gone as the public outcry grew for the hiring of Bruce Allen as GM. Snyder was forced to play his hand before seasons end.

Obviously, I am being facetious with regards to all the Daniel Snyder moves in the past. No one knew what his plans were during the developing stages of previous hirings. The man made a billion dollars building and selling a PR firm. He knows how to deflect, direct, manipulate, promote, and divert public opinion and attention.

There is no more hated individual in Washington than Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, and he wouldn’t want it any other way. You see, if the focus is on him and everything he does, attention is preoccupied. Smoke and mirrors, that’s all. So we’re watching the menacing figure in front of us. Not the nervous little dweeb behind the curtain.

So you see, all the clamoring with regards to the Redskins hiring Mike Shanahan as their next head coach, it is just Snyder’s form of posturing.

He wants the media and public attention to focus on Shanahan, while he works behind the scenes negotiating with the next coach.

Snyder is not that sloppy to allow Shanahan’s name to just slip out. It is out there for a reason. Snyder is pulling the media’s strings yet again. The puppet master wouldn’t have it any other way.

Weeks before Schottenheimer was hired, he ripped Snyder on the pregame show he worked for. No one ever expected Snyder to hire Marty after the public lambasting he put him through.

So when rumors surface that Bill Cowher would never work for Snyder or John Gruden is locked in a contact with ESPN, don’t believe what you see in the mirror. It’s not real. It’s Snyder’s world, and we just happen to be attached to the strings he is pulling.

Maybe Snyder is changing? Perhaps he is hurt and humiliated by the revolting fans? Maybe there is a well thought out plan involving Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan? But if history tells us anything, it shows a pattern of behavior. And Snyder’s behavior during his 11 year tenure tells us to expect the unexpected.

Doc Walker: Gruden coming to town

December 17th, 2009 · Posted by spence · #comments">No Comments · Coach, Dan Snyder, Redskins Management, Washington Redskins

Rick “Doc” Walker, talking to Tony Kornheiser on ESPN 980, discussed what the hiring of Bruce Allen means for the Redskins.

Walker cited Allen’s experience working with Al Davis, an owner similar to Dan Snyder. Both Snyder and Allen like to be heavily involved in personnel decisions, though Davis was once respected as a serious and informed NFL expert.

Walker went on to say he expects Jon Gruden to be the next head coach of the Washington Redskins and does not expect Joe Gibbs to have any formal or important role with the Redskins in the future.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/12/17/doc-walker-gruden-coming-to-town.html

Redskins Add Bruce Allen; Jon Gruden Speculation Next

Just hours after the Washington Redskins announced the resignation of Vinny Cerrato, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that the team had already hired Bruce Allen to be the Redskins' executive vice president and general manager.

And that means speculation about Jon Gruden to the Redskins is inevitable.

Yes, I know, Gruden and ESPN both insist that Gruden will be back in the Monday Night Football booth next year. But lots of coaches have said one thing and then done another when a new job opened up. And Gruden's history of working with Allen in Tampa Bay makes the two of them a natural fit.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is widely believed to want a head coach who is a proven winner -- a coach who already has a Super Bowl ring. Gruden qualifies. And Gruden (unlike Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan, a couple of other available coaches with Super Bowl rings) would likely be willing to work for a team that didn't give him final say over personnel.

There's still a long way to go before the Redskins will hire their next head coach. But Jim Zorn is a near certainty to be fired in three weeks, and it's not a stretch to think Gruden will be his replacement.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/12/17/redskins-add-bruce-allen-jon-gruden-speculation-next/

well him flying to mexico and all , i dont think is dan just blowing smoke ,he is after Shanny but as we always know he has a back up plan , but let me put to rest PFT thing real quick about the Rooney Rule and a Gray , all Dan will do is pull him in the office say sorry u didnt get the Job and thats it .. thats all .. no long interviews so yes Dan did get a jump , also as for people intrested in Shanny it is both Mcnair from Houston and of course Jones but he is flying high cause of thier win , but if they dont make the playoffs and do a little something he will be right back into it , i will say as it looks right now Dan will get his man .

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/12/espn_reporting_everything_on_s.html

ESPN reporting everything on Shanahan

Since there are so many fun reports out there concerning Mike Shanahan, I figured I should highlight a few from the ESPN stars. I'm not totally sure if they're all saying the same thing.

Chris Mortensen

Mort has done at least radio interviews in recent days in which he's said the Redskins and Shanahan are a done deal. Here are excerpts from one of those appearances, an interview with Colin Cowherd.

"Mike Shanahan to the Redskins, in my mind, has been a done deal for months," Mortensen said. "Maybe even before the season started. And Bruce Allen would be Shanahan's handpicked GM, not the other way around. It's a place where he can go and have total autonomy, Shanahan, working with somebody he likes and respects in Bruce Allen. That one's gonna happen. That one's gonna happen. Dan Snyder beat Jerry Jones to the punch on this one."

Well, there's not a lot of wiggle room there. Cowherd, being a longtime Redskins critic, then asked why Shanahan wouldn't simply wait two weeks for the Dallas job to open, since that one features better weather, a newer stadium, and presumably the chance to watch pole dancers during replay reviews. Okay, that last part was mine.

"Well, I think that Jerry has dragged his feet on this one," Mortensen said. "You know, Jerry's not willing to write the big checks right now. I mean, Jerry's got a lot of stadium debt. It's a wonderful place and it's gonna make a lot of money, but he's got a lot of stadium debt. Now, he doesn't owe Wade Phillips anything after this year, but [he owes] Jason Garrett, some other people. And I always thought that Shanahan probably would end up there, but the bottom line is Snyder has been very aggressive. Ask Joe Gibbs and whoever. Snyder is not as meddlesome as we perceive, and it's still the Redskins. And I don't know that Jason Campbell will be their quarterback, but I don't know if you've noticed; he's been playing pretty well lately with his fifth coordinator or whatever. And they can always draft one this year or next year if they want."

Cowherd noted that he'd still rather have Romo sits to pee than Campbell.

"I mean, I would, too," Mortensen said. "But remember, Jerry Jones let Bill Parcells do a lot of what he wanted to do until what, until [Jones] imposed T.O. on him. And I'm a big Jerry fan, but that's the type of thing that will scare a Mike Shanahan, I think."

So, "done deal for months" and "Shanahan's handpicked GM" would be the memorable terms there. Mort later "clarified" on Twitter, writing "So, here's what I said on Shanahan and Redskins: Bruce Allen was on Shanahan's list for a GM" and "I said book it on Shanahan with Redskins. He can't have a deal "done" until after season."

Adam Schefter

Perhaps Mike Shanahan's closest media confidante was less confident in all the done-deal talk. The guys at D.C. Pro Sports report Tweeted to Schefter that "A ton of media out there say his deal in Washington is done."

"False," Schefter responded. "If it were, Zorn would have gone way of Cerrato."

Schefter was also asked on Twitter if he had a gut feeling on Shanahan.

"I suspect Mike will have choices," Schefter replied.

Sal Paolantonio

He comes down somewhere between "done deal" and "false."

"What I'm hearing is that Shanahan will, in fact, decide to go to Washington," SalPal said, cleverly using the future tense. "I think the Redskins really don't have many options in terms of the big-name coaches now that Gru-dog's staying on Monday Night Football....And Mike Holmgren is probably--high probability, very high probability--[is] going to Cleveland to be in the front office. That means of the three guys out there with the biggest, best resumes, Shanahan's the one left standing. It's a game of musical chairs, and Snyder always likes to be the guy holding the big prize when the music stops. And so I think Shanahan will go to Washington, he'll be the next head coach of the Redskins."

well him flying to mexico and all , i dont think is dan just blowing smoke ,he is after Shanny but as we always know he has a back up plan , but let me put to rest PFT thing real quick about the Rooney Rule and a Gray , all Dan will do is pull him in the office say sorry u didnt get the Job and thats it .. thats all .. no long interviews so yes Dan did get a jump , also as for people intrested in Shanny it is both Mcnair from Houston and of course Jones but he is flying high cause of thier win , but if they dont make the playoffs and do a little something he will be right back into it , i will say as it looks right now Dan will get his man .

Thanks for the update J. it completely makes sense. Still seems a bit fluid 'cause Dallas could screw up a free lunch. :D

Archived