Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2-4=Pitchforks and Torches; 4-9=We are on the right track

Lombardi's_kid_brother

That borderline competence is what we are looking for in a football team?

compared to the nowhere-near-competence we'd displayed up to that point i'd say "headed in the right direction" is factually accurate.

i still want zorn and vinny fired. i'm just saying there's a big difference between the first six games and the last 4.

I dont think anyone with half a brain is excusing all thats happened because of some recently competent play....we are just happy some of the younger guys are contributing and if they play like they have been next year, with improvements to the O-line, secondary, RB and coaching situation/GM, we will have a real team on our hands.

It's nice to see our squad giving it their all...executing...and doing what they are paid, supported, and supposed to do.

I won't, however, allow their recent accomplishments / success blind the fact that Dan Snyder is the poster boy for embarrassment and selfish, unintelligent, and moronic decision making. The same sentiment is mirrored towards Vinny. Fred Davis, Mal'comb' Kelly, and Devin Thomas are now showing some progress. It still doesn't change the fact that you neglected the offensive line...and missed the boat on DeSean Jackson.

I love that our squad is playing well...but I hate that two of the top three most idiotic men in professional football reside in Ashburn.

...The third is Al Davis - owner of the team we just put up 30+ on...

In their defense, they didn't ignore the oline. They simply put all their efforts to make a grade A d-line. I remember last year we were all *****ing about the fact that we had no pressure on QBs. Well, we got it now. Give me three young stud bolt Olinemen and all is forgiven.

The last 5 weeks, the Redskins have out-scored their opponents 121 - 97. And they've scored 30+ twice in a row (something many of you on this board said JC was incapable of) for the first time, since 2006 I believe.

Why can't we enjoy this?

Why can't we be proud of a team that has refused to give up despite being bashed by the media? Why can't we be proud of a team that has refused to give up despite being bashed by their own fans (and a bunch of nerd alerts who "gave up their fan cards")? Why can't we be proud of a team that refuses to give up despite losing 10 players to IR (including pro bowlers Chris Cooley and Clinton Portis)? Why can't we be proud of 3 sophomore receivers who refuse to give up despite being called "busts" by many of the so called fans?

So just for once guys, enjoy it. I know I am!

How many times over the past decade or so have we “blown things up”??? New coach, new system, new batch of free agents, etc. So, what let’s start from scratch again? I’m not saying there aren’t changes that need to be made. But something is clicking at this point and the team is playing flat out good football. Hell, if not for Suisham’s choke jobs we’d have beaten Dallas & N.O. and won 3 of our last 4. And for the first time in YEARS the offense is consistently moving the ball AND scoring. Stability & continuity are a big part of the equation in the NFL. IMHO that has been this franchises biggest shortcoming.

I think the idea of saying "we're on the right track" and "everything is fine. it isn't broken, don't fix it" are two completely different things. When I look at the teams that have been fielded as of late, I see an offense that has young players and a QB that actually look like they're worth keeping around, which is not something that could have been said at the beginning of the season. Despite this depressing season, I will commend Zorn in that he's been managing to keep this team from imploding and has motivated them enough to keep playing, despite not having anything to play for.

In those instances, yes we're on the right track because our coach looks like he's growing into his role of "overseer" and our QB actually is playing like a solid NFL QB. However, I would also argue that in no way, shape, or form are we okay in terms of our front office structure. Had we actually had a competant front office to put youth into our offensive line, we actually might not be in this mess or having this very conversation. I personally will be very pissed off if Vinny is kept around, because I have a strong feeling that he's going to have us draft another QB and we're going to ignore the offensive line yet again, on the justification that "guys like Mike Williams and Levi Jones played very well" when the point of our problem wasn't our starters, but the guys we had behind them. The cupboard is bare now, and if we do not draft offensive line and I mean good ones in the early rounds this season, we're gambling yet again.

We've had a good string of games against good teams. But Vinny should not get a pass and he should be fired. However ... I see him surviving the ax and Zorn will be scapegoated for our disappointing season. :(

**** you Vinny. **** you.

The last 5 weeks, the Redskins have out-scored their opponents 121 - 97. And they've scored 30+ twice in a row (something many of you on this board said JC was incapable of) for the first time, since 2006 I believe.

Why can't we enjoy this?

Why can't we be proud of a team that has refused to give up despite being bashed by the media? Why can't we be proud of a team that has refused to give up despite being bashed by their own fans (and a bunch of nerd alerts who "gave up their fan cards")? Why can't we be proud of a team that refuses to give up despite losing 10 players to IR (including pro bowlers Chris Cooley and Clinton Portis)? Why can't we be proud of 3 sophomore receivers who refuse to give up despite being called "busts" by many of the so called fans?

So just for once guys, enjoy it. I know I am!

That was a touching speech....... I'm aboard!!!:point2sky

Why can't we enjoy this?

Many of us CAN enjoy it. Others have too much ego invested in predicting doom and gloom -- "let's blow it all up" -- scenarios for the team to enjoy this.

Here's the thing people who want the status quo not to change. We beat the RAIDERS! Probably the only team since 2002 that has been more inept on the field and in the front office. The RAIDERS!

What exactly do you mean by 'status quo'? Because I have not seen a single person say that we should keep Vinny around. If anything, us wanting to get rid of Vinny has been the one uniting thing on the message.

Because you see the same thing at the Special Olympics. Effort only gets you so far.

Effort gets rewarded time and time again. That you choose to denigrate disabled people to make a point shows me just how clearly you're thinking.

I watched Desean Jackson utterly eviscerate the Giants last night. For some reason' date=' I'm not THAT excited that Thomas is suddenly showing a pulse.[/quote']

31 teams passed on Desean Jackson, some of them twice. I guess based on hindsight 31 personnel guys should be shown the door by the time Jackson makes his Pro Bowl appearance.

Let's ignore the fact that when pressed Vinny did find a guy that's playing at an extremely high level at LT. Let's ignore that long term project Mike Williams is looking like a real gamer at guard right now.

Let's conveniently ignore guys like HB Blades, Justin Tryon, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Cooley, Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Wilson, Reed Doughty, Orakpo and many other guys on whom the book hasn't been written yet.

I can't stand the guy, but look around the Eagles board and try to find people that like Banner.

When a team is 6-15 stretch, the only rational thing to do is to stay the course.

When a team is in a 6-15 stretch you look at all of the facts, and not just an isolated number that doesn't even come close to telling the story.

You look at a team that started the 2008 season 6-2 and had Portis on his way to a 2000 yard season while the offensive line was healthy and performing at a high level. You look at somebody like Campbell who's production appears to be in an odd synchronicity with the quality production he's receiving.

Those are the things I look at, and I hope for the Redskins sake that that's what Snyder is doing when he makes his decision.

For the record, London Fletcher disagrees strongly with this thread:

"If we are able to finish out the season the way we have played the last five weeks and (team owner Daniel) Snyder looks at how we've done it, with a lot of encouraging things, he may ask himself, 'Do you want to break up the momentum,'" said linebacker London Fletcher, the core of the defense. "Do you want to put in a new system -- again. We haven't given up on Coach (Jim) Zorn at all. You know, a lot of head coaches struggle a little bit the first time."

Here's the thing people who want the status quo not to change. We beat the RAIDERS! Probably the only team since 2002 that has been more inept on the field and in the front office. The RAIDERS!

I don't know about everyone else but I exited about how the team has improved over the last 5 weeks. It's encouraging to say the least. It's not just because we beat the Raiders.

a GM that assembles a team that is incapable of executing should be fired, the system they can't execute should be removed by firing the coach and the players replaced.

But if the team can perform then it just needs adjustments. Something was missing in the early parts of the season. But whatever it was seems to be there now. Maybe it can be improved upon.

The same Raiders who beat the Bengals, Eagles and Steelers...who half this board said we'd lose to in the game prediction thread...who we beat while missing EIGHT starters...who we were beating even with Gradkowski still in the game...

the week before the Raiders beat the STEELERS!

Clearly the guy is delusional. Somebody that has left everything on the field for 12 straight seasons and has been on losing teams and super bowl winning ones can't possibly understand a darn thing about the pulse of a football team.

I would not want London Fletcher as GM.

Look, London Fletcher is going to play balls out for whoever is coaching and will believe that whoever is lined up beside him is capable of being all world. Because London Fletcher really should not be in the NFL, but because he has some super-human will, he is a force of nature. But very few players are London Fletcher.

I agree with this thread, OP. Maybe the standards are just higher in Pitt and New England than they are here. That fan base won't accept anything less than a championship The Skins fan base will accept hope for improvement, even if it is based on a win over a truly horrible Oakland team.

But give Synder credit for that? Not on your life. He didn't create the passion, he merely is benefitting from it.

Archived