Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys you'll miss if they go?

loren

Well, it's pretty obvious there are very few guys who are indispensable on a 3 or 4 win team (or whatever the total ends up being), and that it is probable this is the last go-round for a good number of these players. This isn't so much about who should or shouldn't go, but who, from an emotional standpoint, I wish could stick around.

The funny thing is, because of the Gibbs 2.0 regime's emphasis on character first and talent second, this team seems full of good guys who just aren't quite up to snuff in the talent department, especially given what they're paid.

Antwaan Randle-El - Probably defines this group as well as any player can. An absolute good guy who gets hated on, understandably, because he inexplicably gets trotted out to return kicks when he's just not that good at it anymore. If it wasn't for that, he'd probably get more love, because he's a pretty decent possession guy on the offense.

Santana Moss/Clinton Portis - I put these guys together, because of the U element, and they seemed to have earned a reputation as malcontents over the past couple years. Say what you want about whether you like that mentality. I love a little swagger in my guys, and these guys had it. When Taylor was still alive, and all 3 were playing at a high level, man, what a fun team to watch. For Moss, he had me hooked the second he scorched the Cowboys twice in the Monday Night miracle. He also had me after the GB game in 2007, when he took responsibility for that loss. He's not the diva type, never threw his QB under the bus (when he probably could've at times), and he took responsibility for the dumb stuff he did (like that marker against the Bengals last year).

And Portis, well, he carried the team in 2005 and 2007. When he was playing well and having fun, he was a great guy to watch. Yeah, he spouts off at the mouth at times, and doesn't like to practice, which is a problem, but he isn't Larry Johnson. It's amazing how fast he's aged and how old he seems, but I'll definitely be thankful for what he did those two magical playoff runs.

London Fletcher - I have no idea what his contract situation is or whether he'd be traded, or is even tradeable, but he's on this list because he's old and only getting older, and the guy can't last forever. He's having another monster season (he's on pace for what, 10,000 tackles this year). THE consumate professional on this team, but everybody already knows it because he gets nothing but love, so you can fill in the rest of the tribute. Hope he goes to the Pro Bowl this year.

Chris Cooley - Probably the toughest name on this list. Of all the guys on this list, he's the truest "Redskin". He was drafted and developed into a great player here. On and off the field he's great, and has really endeared himself to the area. I can't imagine him playing for another team. I guess with Davis coming on, and so many holes to be filled, it would be dumb not to at least see what you can get for him, but damn, it's definitely a different team without him.

Jason Campbell - I'm not trying to get into an argument about the quality of his play, or whether he should be kept around. It just seems likely he'll be gone, because the ownership, rightly or wrongly, has no interest in keeping him around. However, he's handled all the turmoil and crap around here with professionalism and class. Whether his play on the field justifies keeping him around is a topic for another thread, but it's nice to have a QB with character and class.

Fred Smoot - The guy who left, realized how great it is here, and came back. Yeah, he's probably lost a step, and no, he can't tackle (although I think that aspect has improved this year) and no, I don't want him covering many NFL receivers. Still, following the Redskins is just more fun with Smoot around.

Chris Samuels - Another "true Redskin," and true professional. Wish the Redskins could've had more success with him here. He should be in the Ring of Fame eventually.

Guys I won't miss:

Carlos Rogers - I was okay with the fact he couldn't catch interceptions, because he was covering great. Whoops! If the guy's going to get caught on lame double moves, he's useless. Once he got benched and basically said "I stopped paying attention", he could've been shipped out of town and I wouldn't have cared.

Landry - I doubt he'll be gone, because I get the feeling the front office is too enamored with his "talent". And who knows? Maybe he'll move back to strong safety and be a beast again. But right now, the terrible coverage, the missed "missile" tackles, the late hits, and the dancing, I'm just tired of it and wouldn't mind seeing it go to another team where that stuff belongs, like, I don't know, Dallas.

Feel free to comment/add/subtract/call me a moron.

Fletch's contract:

3/2/2007: Signed a five-year, $25 million contract. The deal included a $10.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $2.15 million, 2010-2011: $4.9 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charges: $4.25 million (2009), $7 million (2010-2011).

He's one of my favorite and should be here a couple of more years. The guy plays like a 20 year old! :D

I don't agree with letting fletch and campbell go...I really think campbell should be here next year he is really coming on and it would be nice to see if he keeps progressing...I do think we need to draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd round though....and fletcher is like our own Ray Lewis he is the heart and soul of the defense and brings it every week...I don't think he has lost a step and should be with us next year

Fletch's contract:

3/2/2007: Signed a five-year, $25 million contract. The deal included a $10.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $2.15 million, 2010-2011: $4.9 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charges: $4.25 million (2009), $7 million (2010-2011).

He's one of my favorite and should be here a couple of more years. The guy plays like a 20 year old! :D

Thanks for the info. It's nice when someone makes up for the laziness of the thread starter.

I hope he continues to play at a high level and doesn't fall off a Portis like age cliff anytime soon.

If they go, I'll definitely miss Rock, Philip Daniels, and Randy Thomas.

I'd definitely miss Cartwright. Hasn't really been much of a threat to take a return to the house since 2005. But he always seems to get it to the 25 or 30, which I'll take. He's tough as nails and just does his job.

Fletcher, and I had to think long and hard about that one. Unfortunately, that's about it on the list. Samuels would be on that list, too, but I consider him gone already. I can't see him coming back.

This.

Honestly, what has this team done over the past 7-8 seasons to make one nostalgic for many of these guys?

This.

Honestly, what has this team done over the past 7-8 seasons to make one nostalgic for many of these guys?

I don't know.

Santana Moss scorching Dallas twice in the Monday night miracle. I'm nostalgic about that.

Samuels holding down the line for nearly a decade. I'm nostalgic for that.

Cooley being a beast since he was drafted, making big play after big play. I''m nostalgic about that.

Portis putting us on his back for two playoff runs in 2005 and 2007 and basically being a reliable beast for a few years? I'm nostalgic about that.

For a few games in 2007 dreaming about a monster safety tandem of Taylor and Landry? I'm nostalgic about that.

These guys haven't been world beaters, but they've still provided, I think, a fair amount of fun moments, and I'm not looking forward to having to blow up this group of guys, even though it's probably necessary because they're nowhere near as good as we, or they, thought they would be.

Chris Samuels - I feel sorry that he his career has more or less been wasted on this team. Watch a game and only focus on Chris Samuels. The guy is an all-pro. Sometimes he stonewalls the pass rusher so hard it looks like a running play.

Randy Thomas - fast and athletic for a big guy. Solid Guard. Sorry to see injuries catch up to him.

Phillip Daniels - solid for us.

Chris Wilson - I have no doubt I'll be watching him sacking QBs for another team one day. No idea why we don't use this guy.

Hmmm....opened up a big can of debate here, huh???

*Well, I'd miss LL like I miss the crabs { not that I've ever had them}. He could be a decent/good safety if he would focus on playing the game instead of trying to make the "hit of the year", but I don't see that happening.

*Cooley, Moss, CP, I would surely miss, and everyone knows if any of these guys go, someone will snatch them up quick, and who better to do that than friggin' Dallas; you know JJ would do it just to pick their brains, and if they got in the game, it would come back to haunt us. YOU KNOW IT WOULD!

ARE? not sure I'd miss him; he has had better days, and may be able to have a flash here and there but nothing meriting keeping him.

The 1 thing I miss is this: the Skins of the 80's! The team NO ONE wanted to play on any sunday, because they know their hands would be full for 60 minutes, and when the Skins whipped that ass, they didn't "dance around like a bunch of Kansas City fa****s", they just pointed at the scoreboard and walked off the field...

Archived