Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there any more fan favorites on this team?

MattFancy

But notice his personality and attitude lately? I don't think everyone is being treated that way. Though I wouldn't mind the Redskins exploring trade options for Moss, I am not nearly as quick to push him out the door. He was a key contributor to my favorite Snyder-run season (2005) and he's been a good soldier. Same with Cooley. Same with guys like Andre Carter, etc.

I just don't like all the waves that Portis has caused over the years. Maybe it shows that we look for more than just on-the-field production.

I agree his attitude hasn't been great lately, but it just seems there is no loyalty to the players by the fans. As soon as a player say or does something we don't agree with, we want them gone. Maybe its just me, I don't know.

I'd put Portis ahead of Byner. If he continues to play, he'll do very well on another team. He won't be here because Shanahan doesn't want him.

:helmet:

I give the nod to Byner primarily because of the Superbowl win. Portis is a superior talent. Byner produced superior results. (Not totally Portis' fault)

I agree his attitude hasn't been great lately, but it just seems there is no loyalty to the players by the fans. As soon as a player say or does something we don't agree with, we want them gone. Maybe its just me, I don't know.

To me, it's more complicated than that. I think, because we've had a losing team for the majority of the past 20 years, it's easy to tire of players. The mentality I have is "if we can lose with them, we can lose without them" and I start to feel that toward players when I see their productivity diminish or get any hint that they get special treatment.

I can't wait for the day that we have a team of unified players all seemingly striving for the same goal. I know that sounds idealistic, but I want to be closer to that than the perception that we have 5-10 entitled players who complain to the owner and play co-GM instead of practicing.

So, in short, I would much rather have a team full of guys I barely knew and grow to love the group than have a team full of names. I like to cheer generically for the Redskins, not for individuals.

Free agency has made it really diffcult to identify with players and develop favourites. Back in the 80's there was a core of maybe 20 or more players who stayed together for most of the decade on whom 3 Super Bowl trip were built.

With the turnover today - at least our turnover - that's continuity is rare at best.

Winning would help as well of course.

Try like 9

Cooley is the closest thing we've got. I don't wanna steal h_h's thunder, but I think if Doughty sticks around for a couple more years he'll have a following of his own. Fletch is close, but since he hasn't been here for most of his career I think there's a bit missing in the devotion. Young guys like Orakpo, Thomas, etc. still have a chance to make their mark, but haven't proven enough just yet.

And the reason you never heard people talk about trading Riggo, Monk, Coleman, etc. is because....we were winning Super Bowls with them. You don't trade away SB-winning players unless they are at the very back end of their careers (like the Steelers could do with Ward at this point).

Try like 9

Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, Warren, Didier, Monk, Clark, Butz, Grant, Mann, Manley, Olkewitz, Coleman, Green, Cox.

Right off the top of my head there are 15 guys who were together for most of the decade. Some were not on the first Super Bowl team but almost all have at least 2 trips and some have 3.

There were plenty of others who had say a 5 year stretch and at least 1 Super Bowl - Thiesmann, Riggins, Rogers, Bryant, Sanders, Rypien, Walton, Wilburn

20 was not that far out.

Its the guys that you never have to question their desire to win and passion for the game...Fletch, Chris Samuels, Rock, Sellers as far as the VETS go and I really like the effort so far from Orakpo and Devin Thomas and even Rocky Mac....guys I'm not sure about are Landry, CP, Moss (at times) even Big Al takes way too many plays off. DHall has come in and made an impact...heck taking on the entire ATL sideline trying to show the skins can't be treated like a sorry team despite our record..I like that intensity. We need more players that play because they love the game and not the size of the diamonds in their ears.

Archived